Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > Media Room > Art & Photography

Art & Photography Right-brained and shutterbug hangout. Post and discuss art and photographs, self-created or otherwise. Also show off your digital graphics, wallpapers, or desktops.

Old 03-31-2008   #1
foxyphoenix
Ubi dubium, ibi libertas.

foxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond repute
Death of a loved one...

My beautiful Panasonic DMC-LZ3 has bitten the dust; it lasted through one and a half years of hard lovin', but now I am in the market for a new camera.
I don't think I can get an SLR because I don't have the budget for it and will not at least until the end of the summer, but I have some massive trips planned (concerts, hiking, mountain climbing, zoo, aquarium, rock climbing, a WEDDING) and I don't think I can make it that long without a camera.
Anyways, so I'm thinking in the $250 range, at least 10x optical zoom. It MUST have a good macro.

The one that I've been favoring has been the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ8k, which (in addition to the above) has manual focus (rather than the auto) and uses RAW rather than jpeg format, increasing the filesize of each picture, but improving the quality.

So, I guess I am wondering if anyone has had this camera or knows something the reviews and descriptions won't tell me (pretty much everything I've found has been very positive).
If anyone has another suggestion meeting my parameters, then I'd be illing to take the advice.

*sigh*

I miss my baby.

"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
-
Carl Sagan

"It is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."
-
Charles Darwin

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, man would die from a great loneliness of the spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected."
-
Chief Seattle

Almost Smart Store

Last edited by foxyphoenix; 04-05-2008 at 02:44 PM.
foxyphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008   #2
Jagged
Live, Love, Laugh.

Jagged has a reputation beyond reputeJagged has a reputation beyond reputeJagged has a reputation beyond reputeJagged has a reputation beyond reputeJagged has a reputation beyond reputeJagged has a reputation beyond reputeJagged has a reputation beyond reputeJagged has a reputation beyond reputeJagged has a reputation beyond reputeJagged has a reputation beyond reputeJagged has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Jagged
Re: Death of a loved one...

I've actually heard really good things about canon cameras, I'm not too tech savvy when it comes to features for cameras but I bought one back in October. I ended up buying a canon it had about a 7x Optical zoom for about $300 dollars, it had great macro, and along with great cam cording with sound. I cant seem to find it online though. Anyways I'll just tell you I've heard great things about canons my friends actually taking photography courses and he uses a really nice one but that ran him at about 800$ or more dollars and its soooo nice! Anyways it all depends on what you'd be using the camera for I guess.

Jagged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008   #3
me inside
Finally We Are No One

me inside is divineme inside is divineme inside is divineme inside is divineme inside is divineme inside is divineme inside is divineme inside is divineme inside is divine
Send a message via MSN to me inside

If it were me, id buy this one!
http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Prod...5_IS/index.asp

Softly seething, surreal breathing..
Ignite the cannon with sphagnum lanthum..
Laud the armies of diphthongs with your superannuating Diphtheria..
And I will ever be your combustive tablature of igneous geometries.
me inside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008   #4
foxyphoenix

foxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond repute

I'll definitely consider both of those. Thanks!!

"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
-
Carl Sagan

-
Charles Darwin

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, man would die from a great loneliness of the spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected."
-
Chief Seattle

Almost Smart Store

Old 04-26-2008   #5
Misfitboy
Do you want to rape America?

Misfitboy is a splendid one to beholdMisfitboy is a splendid one to beholdMisfitboy is a splendid one to beholdMisfitboy is a splendid one to beholdMisfitboy is a splendid one to beholdMisfitboy is a splendid one to beholdMisfitboy is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to Misfitboy

why dont you try a nikon.?
Misfitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008   #6
foxyphoenix

Which model would you suggest?

As an update: I got the Pana DMC-FZ8, and am absolutely in love with it. I will still be on the lookout for a DSLR, though...

-
Carl Sagan

-
Charles Darwin

-
Chief Seattle

Almost Smart Store

Old 04-27-2008   #7
tynie
You're Klaus Nomi, I'm Etta James

tynie has a reputation beyond reputetynie has a reputation beyond reputetynie has a reputation beyond reputetynie has a reputation beyond reputetynie has a reputation beyond reputetynie has a reputation beyond reputetynie has a reputation beyond reputetynie has a reputation beyond reputetynie has a reputation beyond reputetynie has a reputation beyond reputetynie has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to tynie Send a message via MSN to tynie Send a message via Yahoo to tynie

for DSLR canons are fucking awesome, they make good consumer level cameras too, its what i use (i never show my photos...so i dont know)

Nikons are really nice too, I like the results however i personally havent used one.

I might get a DSLR in the coming months, I really dont know. And looks like you already got one.
What I want is to be needed. What I need is to be indispensable to somebody. Who I need is somebody that will eat up all my free time, my ego, my attention. Somebody addicted to me. A mutual addiction.-Choke, Chuck Palahniuk
tynie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008   #8
foxyphoenix

Nah, it's just a souped-up superzoom. I do really like it, though...

-
Carl Sagan

-
Charles Darwin

-
Chief Seattle

Almost Smart Store

Old 04-27-2008   #9
foxyphoenix

Joshua_by_InfinityandOne.jpg
Joshua, a whiptail outside of my dorm.
Dolphins_by_InfinityandOne.jpg
A mother and infant dolphin leaping in the wake of the whale-watching boat.
Basking_by_InfinityandOne.jpg
California Sea Lions atop a buoy.

Mmm new camera... *drools*

(As always, these in better quality and even more can be found at http://infinityandone.deviantart.com )

-
Carl Sagan

-
Charles Darwin

-
Chief Seattle

Almost Smart Store

Old 04-28-2008   #10
ROSEWITHTHORNS

ROSEWITHTHORNS is a jewel in the roughROSEWITHTHORNS is a jewel in the roughROSEWITHTHORNS is a jewel in the rough

I give my condolences to you.
Old 04-28-2008   #11
Bamcubz
WIFE - MOM - ME

Bamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond repute

Wow those are some cool pics with your new camera, congrats.

At the beach, life passes differently. Time does not pass by the hours but by the moments and moods.
Bamcubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008   #12
foxyphoenix

Quote:
Originally Said by ROSEWITHTHORNS View Post
I give my condolences to you.
=)
The old camera now has a sacred place atop my bookshelf, and the new one is all shiney and pretty next to it. I am now content.

Quote:
Originally Said by Bamcubz View Post
Wow those are some cool pics with your new camera, congrats.
Thanks!!

-
Carl Sagan

-
Charles Darwin

-
Chief Seattle

Almost Smart Store

Old 04-29-2008   #13
me inside
Finally We Are No One

me inside is divineme inside is divineme inside is divineme inside is divineme inside is divineme inside is divineme inside is divineme inside is divineme inside is divine
Send a message via MSN to me inside

Very nice shots, it really doesn't matter what camera you use as long as you know how to abuse it in taking good photos;) thats what i believe, its always about the artist. Although i cant deny that the quality will surely differ...

Softly seething, surreal breathing..
Ignite the cannon with sphagnum lanthum..
Laud the armies of diphthongs with your superannuating Diphtheria..
And I will ever be your combustive tablature of igneous geometries.
me inside is offline   Reply With Quote