Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > The Lounge > The Blog

The Blog Post the crazy happenings in your life here. If it's interesting enough it may be moved to the main news page.

Old 06-05-2008   #1
EmperorChaos
Ruin you like this website.

Location: Charleston, South Carolina, United States, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster
EmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to EmperorChaos Send a message via AIM to EmperorChaos Send a message via MSN to EmperorChaos Send a message via Yahoo to EmperorChaos
Sixty Hours Now: A Milestone of Mindful Masochism

As of now, 11pm Eastern. I've been awake for 60 hours.

My adventures started after sleeping for nearly two days straight (no, not recovering from doing this previously, I was actually sick).

I woke up at 11 in the morning on Tuesday in a rather good mood. I did a wee bit of yardwork in the afternoon in preparation for the late-season vegetable garden I intend to have.

My friend was in town from DC so that night I had to go visit him. I went downtown to a rather nice bar and had a number of beers. After he left, I stuck around with some acquaintances (known through aforementioned friend) before heading off myself. My friend Matt had just woken up and he was ready to hang out so I went there where I pretty much played Dynasty Warriors 6 all night with intermittent periods of smoking and conversation.

When I got home that morning, I decided not to go to sleep. After all, nearly have the day had passed and I'd already been up 24 hours. I did a bit more yardwork (I finally found a nest of carpenter ants that had been bothering me). Then I decided it was too hot and I'd much rather be doing stuff indoors (since it was the middle of the afternoon).

I did some laundry and got online and did my usual AS, Warfish, NationStates, MySpace, Facebook routine. When I took the second load of laundry out of the machine, I discovered I'd washed my $200 Sony Voice Recorder. I nearly cried when it wouldn't turn on. It was so unlike me too as I normally check all my pockets being that I always carry a lot of stuff (when I'm out, rest assured knowing that I have on my person a cell phone, my zippo of five years, a pack of cigarettes (or two), a comb, a pen, a tube of chapstick, and my wallet).

Oh well, no use crying over broken electronics I thought. And that must have reminded my that one of my PCs was due for a tune-up so I spent a few hours working on that. Night had fallen long ago and the witching hour was upon me when I realized I'd been awake for 37 hours.

At that point I considered sleep; as I was lying in bed thinking (as I am wont to do), I realized, upon feeling my stomach growl, that I hadn't eaten in two days. Yes, I'd been taking amphetamines (the prescribed kind, admittedly abused nonetheless). Well, I decided something to eat was in order. After the meal I didn't really feel like sleeping anymore so another day it would be!

We'll fast-forward through this day a bit. You see, the longer I am awake, obviously the more difficult it is for me to stay awake. However, if I keep my mind constantly occupied there is no end to my stayings-up. Over the course of say 16 hours, I (in no particular order) posted on AS, periodically checked and played Warfish games, talked to my family members and a few friends, read a bit of the Tom Robbins novel I'm currently perusing, scoured Wikipedia for a little while, installed a new doorknob on the door to my room, cleaned out my iguana's cage, went and bought pet supplies, caught up on Lost, and here I now sit typing up this catastrophiverbosity.

I should also mention that in the course of those 16 hours I tried to repair my voice recorder in the first and best way I know how. I removed the batteries and gently blew in all the sockets and ports and what-have-you, and then replaced the batteries. It works now. I've uploaded the 20 hours of recordings I have successfully and I am quite happy about all of it.

And the future? Well... it's been awhile since I took any more uppers but I don't really feel tired. Really all I've wanted to do was hang out with someone all day because that's easier than having to keep myself occupied. My friend Matt will undoubtedly be waking up soon (he usually works night shifts) and I intend on hanging out with him until whenever. This trip is not over yet. There may be peripheral cats yet. I'm just sure that at the end of it, when I know it is finally time for sleep, there's no way I'd be able to type all of this. And there's no way you'd be able to read and understand it. Not that you read any of this... and why would you? It was quite boring.

And with that dear friends of Almost Smart, I bid you adieu... at least for the time-being. My intentions now are to get into a bit of telescopery as it's the first night in weeks that I can remember such a clear sky and the waxing crescent sliver of a moon is just beckoning to be gazed upon.

Bemused,

Jason
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jas_bemused.JPG (11.6 KB, 29 views)
The first thing that came into being, void and without form, a lifeless lump, unfashioned and unframed, the Prima Materia from which all comes, influenced by forms and given structure by matter it becomes all that is, with increase in entropy it is into which all shall fall, endlessly and in all directions, a self-reflexive paradox.
-=-=-=-
"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." -Isaac Asimov
EmperorChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008   #2
foxyphoenix
Ubi dubium, ibi libertas.

foxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sixty Hours Now: A Milestone of Mindful Masochism

You make my insomnia-riddled self so sad, Jason.
I guess you find it thrilling because it's a form of rigorous self-control... just imagine being awake that long not because you choose to, but because you physically are unable to sleep.

Arghgh.

"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
-
Carl Sagan

"It is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."
-
Charles Darwin

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, man would die from a great loneliness of the spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected."
-
Chief Seattle

Almost Smart Store

foxyphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008   #3
EmperorChaos

Location: Charleston, South Carolina, United States, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster
EmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to EmperorChaos Send a message via AIM to EmperorChaos Send a message via MSN to EmperorChaos Send a message via Yahoo to EmperorChaos

I think I read your post three times. I was sitting here with my head on my fist reading....

I am losing control now. My friend flaked out on me. He turned his cell phone off. He's been asleep since damn 10am and we had made plans to hang out tonight.

It's been a shit day. I tried to make plans with a lot of people and no one was able to. Of course, I called them on short notice because I didn't think Matt would be sleeping this long...

Anyway...

Telescopery was fun. It's just hot as hell outside. And the pretty waxing crescent was gone by the time I got out there.

And there's too much fucking light pollution here. And too many trees. Oh well... I enjoyed being able to see more stars than I normally would be able to...

EDIT: What to do now. I am starting to feel a bit tired but I'm not sure if it's actual sleepiness or the fact I'm drenched in my own perspiration and as a result feel tired.

I don't really want to go to sleep yet. It might be a long time before I keep myself awake this long. I might... just might... go for triple digits. It's beautiful at that point.... your entire waking life becomes one surreal dreamworld.

I swear I actually gain powers the longer I stay awake.
The first thing that came into being, void and without form, a lifeless lump, unfashioned and unframed, the Prima Materia from which all comes, influenced by forms and given structure by matter it becomes all that is, with increase in entropy it is into which all shall fall, endlessly and in all directions, a self-reflexive paradox.
-=-=-=-
"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." -Isaac Asimov
Old 06-06-2008   #4
GoddessDivine
I move the stars for no one.

GoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to GoddessDivine Send a message via Skype™ to GoddessDivine

^you are mental, also you should have been sleeping when you text me and told me to go to sleep, but it wasnt even late and i was writing a paper.
GoddessDivine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008   #5
EmperorChaos

I did end up going to sleep after about 70 hours awake.

I just didn't have the will to stay up doing nothing. No one would hang out and I had exhausted all avenues of boredom alleviation.

Now I'm ready to party tonight! Though, getting wasted after being awake for 4 days would have been much more rewarding.
-=-=-=-