Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > The Lounge > General

General If it doesn't belong anywhere else it goes here.

Old 09-06-2008   #81
psychoDiablo
Thx for the memories

psychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to psychoDiablo Send a message via Yahoo to psychoDiablo
Re: Almost Smart Convention 2009

You could trust me.

To chill is to be chillin.
Chillin is cooperating with your surroundings, unknowing'st of what everything is capable of; and all the while, as it happens and after, to accept without any thought of good or bad, but mainly, just enjoying rather deeply, the moment you had to sit and think. (Not thinking.)

|-Mr.MCR-|

Will you write
Will you love
Will you enjoy
Life when I am gone?
You will.
by Angelina

"I have lived life as horrible as it was, and as beautiful as it has become."
psychoDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008   #82
my.dragons.lady
happy heretic

my.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, chick!

"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need." ~~ Cicero

"Let food be your medicine and medicine be your food." ~~ Hippocrates

"Trust, but verify." ~~ Damon Runyon * Said to me by Andy Stephenson of Hacking Democracy, in memory of and one account. Miss you much, Andy.
my.dragons.lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008   #83
psychoDiablo
Thx for the memories

psychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond repute

See, I'm not going for laughs there.

Oh and "Fuck you, bitch."

Chillin is cooperating with your surroundings, unknowing'st of what everything is capable of; and all the while, as it happens and after, to accept without any thought of good or bad, but mainly, just enjoying rather deeply, the moment you had to sit and think. (Not thinking.)

|-Mr.MCR-|

Will you write
Will you love
Will you enjoy
Life when I am gone?
You will.
by Angelina

Old 09-06-2008   #84
my.dragons.lady
happy heretic

my.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond repute

(Oops, did I forget you don't like being called a chick? I sure did. Darn. Stop it. You're making me post off topic.)

In case you're serious :.), you probably wouldn't want to be responsible for anyone you don't know really, really well. If something didn't go right you could be sued with a personal checking account altercation. That's why the ACH account requires handwritten agreements.

"Trust, but verify." ~~ Damon Runyon * Said to me by Andy Stephenson of Hacking Democracy, in memory of and one account. Miss you much, Andy.
Old 09-06-2008   #85
psychoDiablo
Thx for the memories

No, I was playing off what the real chick, FoxyPheoneineix, would tell me.

I was serious, but I'm glad you mentioned I could get sued, which is probably more true than anything, so fuck yall and your money, unless you want to donate to my paypal, i'll send you an email later :D

|-Mr.MCR-|

Will you write
Will you love
Will you enjoy
Life when I am gone?
You will.
by Angelina

Old 09-06-2008   #86
foxyphoenix
Ubi dubium, ibi libertas.

foxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond repute

I can help with advice about Colorado-y things to do, but I'm full-time at school from now until basically January... I don't have time to completely orchestrate a convention.

"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
-
Carl Sagan

"It is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."
-
Charles Darwin

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, man would die from a great loneliness of the spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected."
-
Chief Seattle

Almost Smart Store

foxyphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008   #87
hai Jay
Time for breakfast!!!

hai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond repute

well it's not for another 10 months anyways, but i just figured we could go ahead and get some kind of account set up so we can start taking donations.

the ACH thing sounds complicated. I know that this site used to (if not still) have a link to click on to donate money via paypal. also my mother has used paypal and so have other people i know, and have never had problems.

we could even have two people go in together or be elected co-treasurers or whatever you'd want to call it. i think the money would be more secure with two people, but honestly i don't know of anyone here who we'd elect that would steal from us. not saying i trust everyone on this site, but really lots of us know each other fairly well. if we give our money to someone who really wants to make this convention happen we'll have nothing to worry about. the people could give us updates on how much money has been raised, and then they or a larger group can decide how to allocate the money as far as room, travel expenses, possible air fare, etc.

is there anyone who would want to volunteer to take up that responsibility?
Old 09-06-2008   #88
my.dragons.lady
happy heretic

It doesn't need to be an ACH account, but as previously stated possibly maybe something similar. It's unreasonable, even irrational to expect any one person to bear the liability of holding money for other people without any mutually written agreement about the intended purpose and management of that money. The best of friends and close family members seem most often predisposed to "borrowing" without permission. And an ACH is not complicated at all, btw, that's why it's used like it is. Clearcut and protects everyone. Unfamiliar is not necessarily complicated :.)

Also, why are donations needed opposed to people saving what $ they need for themselves. "Donations" implies people going are unable to take responsibility for themselves, and that others should make an event possible for them. Saving $75.00 to $100.00 per month for one year is less than most bills. An inability to save just that bit, for whatever reason, puts trips at the bottom of the list of what's important in life. Do something free closer to home and save half that for two years so the next can be attended.

Sometimes we just have to wait or readjust priorities. A lot of people, including myself, have offered free lodging assistance (probably including pickup, dropoff and free meals since that's the hospitable thing to do), but donating money seems to be a bit much.

On a personal level, it also puts people who do have more $ in the uncomfortable position of forking over their money just because they are able when a recipient may not do the same even if the shoe was on the other foot. However petty or otherwise unappealing it might seem, I won't donate money for someone who would not return the favor, though I would offer them what I think they might offer me if it were absolutely necessary for some reason (not just a favor) - a lift, a meal and a place to sleep.

Bryan did what he did to get things rolling, not to set a precedent for other people to pay for each other in the future.

Old 09-27-2008   #89
Orgoth
Mod In Training

Orgoth is an Almost Smart godOrgoth is an Almost Smart godOrgoth is an Almost Smart godOrgoth is an Almost Smart godOrgoth is an Almost Smart godOrgoth is an Almost Smart godOrgoth is an Almost Smart godOrgoth is an Almost Smart godOrgoth is an Almost Smart godOrgoth is an Almost Smart godOrgoth is an Almost Smart god
Send a message via AIM to Orgoth

If we use paypal for donations though, don't we have to have paypal accounts or credit/debit cards to donate. Also I say we vote on someone trustworthy to hold onto the money. Not saying that you aren't trustworthy pD.
Orgoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008   #90
hai Jay
Time for breakfast!!!

hai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond repute

m.d.l. said it wouldn't be so easy.
Old 09-27-2008   #91
psychoDiablo
Thx for the memories

I was just kidding anyway. I don't want to do it, but if ya made me I wouldn't steal anything.

|-Mr.MCR-|

Will you write
Will you love
Will you enjoy
Life when I am gone?
You will.
by Angelina

Old 09-28-2008   #92
my.dragons.lady
happy heretic

Quote:
Originally Said by Orgoth View Post
If we use paypal for donations though, don't we have to have paypal accounts or credit/debit cards to donate. Also I say we vote on someone trustworthy to hold onto the money. Not saying that you aren't trustworthy pD.
A PayPal account involves direct deposits and direct withdrawals from a verified personal checking account. PayPal has been involved in quite a number of lawsuits specific to money lost through identify theft. Happened to us the only two times we used PayPal. A note of interest is that both times the bank said money had been taken from our accout with a transaction number of all zeros which "should have been flagged immediately but wasn't". Twice? The only two times we used PayPal? What are those odds?

There are others, but scrolling down a little on this page at http://www.paypalwarning.com/paypal_and_identity_theft will find a list of PayPal problems and lawsuits. I have not personally confirmed any of them and our problems occurred several years ago. Still, after minimal researching online in forums specific to identity theft and lost money, PayPal appears to have become worse over time instead of better over.

Though I still think it's better for people to manage their own money, has anyone used Green Dot?

Last edited by my.dragons.lady; 10-10-2008 at 11:03 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-10-2008   #93
psychoDiablo
Thx for the memories

anything come up ?

|-Mr.MCR-|

Will you write
Will you love
Will you enjoy
Life when I am gone?
You will.
by Angelina

Old 10-10-2008   #94
my.dragons.lady
happy heretic

^ What? Are you thinking about slumming and catching up with everyone at next year's? :.)

Old 10-10-2008   #95
GoddessDivine
I move the stars for no one.

GoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to GoddessDivine Send a message via Skype™ to GoddessDivine

^lol.

i know it is going to be in CO, anyone found a reasonable place to stay though?
-Obi Wan

GoddessDivine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008   #96
psychoDiablo
Thx for the memories

Quote:
Originally Said by my.dragons.lady View Post
^ What? Are you thinking about slumming and catching up with everyone at next year's? :.)
now that you ask.... I dont know...

|-Mr.MCR-|

Will you write
Will you love
Will you enjoy
Life when I am gone?
You will.
by Angelina

Old 10-11-2008   #97
Guinness And Mohawks
So cut me open and hear me bleed

Guinness And Mohawks has a reputation beyond reputeGuinness And Mohawks has a reputation beyond reputeGuinness And Mohawks has a reputation beyond reputeGuinness And Mohawks has a reputation beyond reputeGuinness And Mohawks has a reputation beyond reputeGuinness And Mohawks has a reputation beyond reputeGuinness And Mohawks has a reputation beyond reputeGuinness And Mohawks has a reputation beyond reputeGuinness And Mohawks has a reputation beyond reputeGuinness And Mohawks has a reputation beyond reputeGuinness And Mohawks has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Guinness And Mohawks Send a message via Yahoo to Guinness And Mohawks

Quote:
Originally Said by GoddessDivine View Post
^lol.

i know it is going to be in CO, anyone found a reasonable place to stay though?
i found this lovely gutter in Aspen.....

Shamless Promotion: Check out The 2nd Ward
Guinness And Mohawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008   #98
GoddessDivine

GoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to GoddessDivine Send a message via Skype™ to GoddessDivine

sorry dear, but i require a bed and running water, and not the kind that runs down a gutter, lol
-Obi Wan

Old 11-13-2008   #99
psylo_42
Experienced Member

psylo_42 is divinepsylo_42 is divinepsylo_42 is divinepsylo_42 is divinepsylo_42 is divinepsylo_42 is divinepsylo_42 is divinepsylo_42 is divinepsylo_42 is divinepsylo_42 is divine

so who's been successful in saving money for events that have yet to be thoroughly planned out?
Humans were meant to work and sweat to earn a living. Those who try to get rich quick or live at the expense of others, all get divine retribution somewhere along the line. That's the lesson. Unfortunately, we quickly forget the lessons we've learned and then we have to learn them all over again. - Jet

Survival of the fittest is the law of nature. We decieve or we are decieved. Thus we flourish or perish. Nothing good ever happened to me when I trusted others. That is the lesson. - Faye

Lesson Lesson!? If you see a stranger, follow him. - Edward

What's the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge - Spike
psylo_42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008   #100
GoddessDivine

i am having a small convention here in a week, lol. anyone who wants to come let me know. depending on if jason can get a beach house we can have a small convention sometime in late nov early dec since david will be here. I understand short notice and all but anyone from the east coast could probably make it for a weekend right? It really all depends on if jason can get the beach house. Regardless David is still coming to Charleston
-Obi Wan