Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > Media Room > Writer's Corner

Writer's Corner The pen is mightier than the sword. Post your writings or poetry. Also discuss your favorite authors or books.

Old 04-19-2006   #1
Macster

Macster is a glorious beacon of lightMacster is a glorious beacon of lightMacster is a glorious beacon of lightMacster is a glorious beacon of lightMacster is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to Macster
Da Vinci Code

Hey I'm currently reading the Da Vinci Code...anyone else read that...what did ya think?
"Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit"-Matthew 28:19

"...All you have to do, is decide what to do with the time that is given you."-from the pen of J.R.R. Tolkien

"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few or the one."-Gene Roddenberry ("The Great Bird")

Macster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006   #2
moonlight_serenade
groingrabbingly good!

moonlight_serenade has a reputation beyond reputemoonlight_serenade has a reputation beyond reputemoonlight_serenade has a reputation beyond reputemoonlight_serenade has a reputation beyond reputemoonlight_serenade has a reputation beyond reputemoonlight_serenade has a reputation beyond reputemoonlight_serenade has a reputation beyond reputemoonlight_serenade has a reputation beyond reputemoonlight_serenade has a reputation beyond reputemoonlight_serenade has a reputation beyond reputemoonlight_serenade has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Da Vinci Code

I find Dan Brown's writing style to be very much suited to movie adaptation. Short chapters, quick cuts to different characters, and all that.

I like the book, I have the big one with all the pretty pictures.

Although, I think I like "Angels & Demons" slightly more than "The Da Vinci Code".

moonlight_serenade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006   #3
me inside
Finally We Are No One

me inside is divineme inside is divineme inside is divineme inside is divineme inside is divineme inside is divineme inside is divineme inside is divineme inside is divine
Send a message via MSN to me inside

I have about four versions of the book in 3 different languages at home sitting and waiting for someone to read them lmao ... Someday I will. Yet I hear tis a very great book !

Softly seething, surreal breathing..
Ignite the cannon with sphagnum lanthum..
Laud the armies of diphthongs with your superannuating Diphtheria..
And I will ever be your combustive tablature of igneous geometries.
me inside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006   #4
Bamcubz
WIFE - MOM - ME

Bamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond repute

Have read some of his other books, Tom & I have gone to the "used" book store in search of "The De Vinci Code" but no luck so far, hate the idea of paying full price for something I will just toss aside later. On another note: What do you think about the controversy regarding the writing of it?

At the beach, life passes differently. Time does not pass by the hours but by the moments and moods.
Bamcubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006   #5
Savage_Nature
I love my brother.

Savage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by moonlight_serenade
Although, I think I like "Angels & Demons" slightly more than "The Da Vinci Code".
I just finished reading that book and I have to say, it is the most amazing piece of literature I have ever read, ever.

I'm going to be reading 'The Da Vinci Code' and 'Deception Point' within the next few weeks, both of them by Dan Brown. I love this guy's style.

Savage_Nature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006   #6
Sytrohs87
goliath

Sytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Sytrohs87 Send a message via MSN to Sytrohs87

Quote:
Originally Said by Bamcubz
Have read some of his other books, Tom & I have gone to the "used" book store in search of "The De Vinci Code" but no luck so far, hate the idea of paying full price for something I will just toss aside later. On another note: What do you think about the controversy regarding the writing of it?
*cough*DA Vinci Code *cough*

anyway, i've read them both, and while i enjoyed angels & demons more than it's more popular descendent, they're both mediocre at best. Sure they're engaging, but as I was reading, I couldn't help think that this guy was simply writing so that he could get a movie made and make more money. Besides the fact that the two books were overwhelmingly similar and lead the reader to believe he's a forumla book writer, they just seem completely artificial and that he puts little to no emotion into his writing.

so as you can see.. i'm a little displeased with the book, given all the hype.

-The Mars Volta

"I consider the positions of kings and rulers as that of dust motes. I observe treasures of gold and gems as so many bricks and pebbles. I look upon the finest silken robes as tattered rags. I see myriad worlds of the universe as small seeds of fruit, and the greatest lake in India as a drop of oil on my foot. I perceive the teachings of the world to be the illusion of magicians. I discern the highest conception of emancipation as a golden brocade in a dream, and view the holy path of the illuminated ones as flowers appearing in one's eyes. I see meditation as a pillar of a mountain, Nirvana as a nightmare of daytime. I look upon the judgment of right and wrong as the serpentine dance of a dragon, and the rise and fall of beliefs as but traces left by the four seasons."

-Siddhartha Gautama
Sytrohs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006   #7
ablethevoice
Vintage Human

ablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to ablethevoice Send a message via Yahoo to ablethevoice

Dan Brown is like Dean Koontz. After I read a couple of his books I find the story, characters, plots, everything just start to blend together in my memory with the results that the books are just dull and forgettable. They are moderately fun to read while reading them, but afterward they just seem...blah. I admit that I still havn't read the Da Vinci Code but I'm a lot less motivated to do so now that I have read others by him...and the so-called "factual" material he based the book on has turned out to be bullshit.

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

"The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits." —Albert Einstein

“It's fortunate for governments that people don't think." - Adolph Hitler

Sturkis akidit ("shit happens") - Latin

Bent Ears Audio Laboratories - Better Music Through Chemistry

MUSIC IS LIKE CANDY. IT'S ONLY GOOD WHEN YOU GET RID OF ALL THE RAPPERS.
))#####D~~~~ (_l_)
ablethevoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006   #8
Blackass
groingrabbingly good!

Blackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Blackass

I really enjoyed the Da Vinci Code and Angels & Demons, but less so after I learned that Dan Brown actually believes all that stuff in there about the holy grail being Mary Magdelene.
Blackass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006   #9
*Lady Macbeth*

*Lady Macbeth* is divine*Lady Macbeth* is divine*Lady Macbeth* is divine*Lady Macbeth* is divine*Lady Macbeth* is divine*Lady Macbeth* is divine*Lady Macbeth* is divine*Lady Macbeth* is divine*Lady Macbeth* is divine

Quote:
Originally Said by Macster
Hey I'm currently reading the Da Vinci Code...anyone else read that...what did ya think?
you're the jesus guy, right? i doubt you'll like it much. i didn't- much. it plays with ideas that i've believed are facts since childhood. However, the way these ideas are presented as facts, and the complete twists of fate thrown at you through the novel are frighteningly clever. in terms of vocabulary and literature; it's not about to gain grounds over Dickens or Shakespeare; but it's gripping enough to be one of the best airport reads i've ever come across.

when you're done with the book, i'll talk about the whole 'mary- not a prostitute but of a rich bloodline' involvement, but until then... happy reading.
Old 04-21-2006   #10
moonlight_serenade
groingrabbingly good!

moonlight_serenade has a reputation beyond reputemoonlight_serenade has a reputation beyond reputemoonlight_serenade has a reputation beyond reputemoonlight_serenade has a reputation beyond reputemoonlight_serenade has a reputation beyond reputemoonlight_serenade has a reputation beyond reputemoonlight_serenade has a reputation beyond reputemoonlight_serenade has a reputation beyond reputemoonlight_serenade has a reputation beyond reputemoonlight_serenade has a reputation beyond reputemoonlight_serenade has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, I'm sorry, but anyone who take these works to be in any way 'factual' other than the monuments and locations described (to an extent), is a complete moron. [No offense meant to anyone here, that's just my opinion.] It's clearly written for entertainment, no matter what the inscription at the beginning of the book says.

Personally, I tend to take the works as they are, and couldn't care less over the controversy over the material, or wht the author believes... Just as long as he doesn't jump all over Oprah's couch professing his love for Mary Magdalene or something.

"You don't know Catholicism, okay? I know Catholicism."

Old 04-21-2006   #11
*Lady Macbeth*

*Lady Macbeth* is divine*Lady Macbeth* is divine*Lady Macbeth* is divine*Lady Macbeth* is divine*Lady Macbeth* is divine*Lady Macbeth* is divine*Lady Macbeth* is divine*Lady Macbeth* is divine*Lady Macbeth* is divine

I don't take the facts as anything BUT factual. however, books like the Da Vinci Code do make me uneasy when contemplating the idea. Jesus not a bachelor? Mary from the tribe of Benjamin? Religion centered on violence and terrorism?

Dan Brown is okay to a certain extent, i suppose. I couldn't put it down over the three days i was reading it, and while i was going through it, i believed everything he said, controvertial or not. it shames me to admit it, but the style in which he writes is such.

I'm catholic too, although just while i'm under my parents roof. still, i doubt any division of the christian church liked the book [although he does make bishop aringarosa look good by the end of it]
Old 04-24-2006   #12
Macster

Macster is a glorious beacon of lightMacster is a glorious beacon of lightMacster is a glorious beacon of lightMacster is a glorious beacon of lightMacster is a glorious beacon of light

well...yeah...i'm about half way through.

i might be the "Jesus guy" but it's good to read things and not go "isolationist"...ya know what i mean...

well, when i'm done, i'll go more into it. i'm curious to research the actual facts.
"Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit"-Matthew 28:19

"...All you have to do, is decide what to do with the time that is given you."-from the pen of J.R.R. Tolkien

"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few or the one."-Gene Roddenberry ("The Great Bird")

Old 04-25-2006   #13
moonlight_serenade
groingrabbingly good!

Quote:
Originally Said by *Lady Macbeth*
I couldn't put it down over the three days i was reading it, and while i was going through it, i believed everything he said, controvertial or not. it shames me to admit it, but the style in which he writes is such.
It's easy to believe that what he says is fact, because he uses a good amount of factual background; however, he makes things up to suit his purposes too. Example: the Rosslyn chapel at the end of the book doesn't actually have the Star of David on its floor in real life. The way he writes about it, it sure sounds like it's there.

Old 04-25-2006   #14
Macster

interesting...almost done with the book...i know this story will be an even bigger deal once the movie comes out....Ian McKellan plays Teabing!!!!!...wonderous. that guy has played a lot of cool parts in movies!

Old 04-25-2006   #15
jess
Hussy!!!

jess is a splendid one to beholdjess is a splendid one to beholdjess is a splendid one to beholdjess is a splendid one to beholdjess is a splendid one to beholdjess is a splendid one to beholdjess is a splendid one to behold

hey i agree that the ideas presented throughout the story are meant to provoke thought about the catholic church, not to make people take them literally or as proven facts.

i enjoyed the book whilst i read it, i also found it interesting in that it has encouraged people to challange the strict beliefs of the catholic religion. i mean, sure, most likely none of it is true, but still it's nice to entertain the thought that maybe catholic history isn't quite as dull as it is usually portrayed.

anyway, i think it's worth reading the book and then you can form your own opinion on it. i do agree though, that after you read it once, there's not a burning desire to read it again. i doubt the movie will portray the story quite as well as the book.

PoWeR rAnGeRs!

...captain planet was taken

Telepath wanted: you know where to apply
jess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006   #16
Macster

well the movie is never as good as the book...that's a rule my friend

yeah i just finished it...i have to go and so i'll get back to the subject later...good book though but i don't feel the desire to read it again either

Old 05-18-2006   #17
Cloud
Cool Canadian

Cloud has a spectacular aura aboutCloud has a spectacular aura aboutCloud has a spectacular aura about

It will probably be a better experience to read the book, a movie always leaves out some key points that make it so much better. I've read the first 100 pages, and it was very interesting, but i got too busy to finish it. The movie looks great, and we gotta hope that the movie doesnt ruin another great book like it has in the past.
Cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006   #18
ablethevoice
Vintage Human

ablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to ablethevoice Send a message via Yahoo to ablethevoice

OK... I finally got around to hitting this thread again although I finished the book last weekend.

I said it once and I'll say it again: Dan Brown's stories are moderately entertaining while I am reading, but when I'm done I feel no need to ever pick it up again. If I had to choose a single word to describe his writing style it would be "self-conscious". He seems to be saying to the reader (without actually coming out and SAYING it): "look how good a writer I am... see how twisty and sneaky I can make the plot! Aren't I smart??"
I got that same feeling while reading Deception Point, Angels and Demons and Digital Fortress. I still havn't seen the film but in light of how rapidly it dropped out of the theater, I'm a lot less inclined to fracture my ass to get a copy of it.

For a mystery/puzzle/adventure film, I'd rather watch NATIONAL TREASURE again... even if Nicholus Cage was trying to be Indiana Jones.

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

"The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits." —Albert Einstein

“It's fortunate for governments that people don't think." - Adolph Hitler

Sturkis akidit ("shit happens") - Latin

Bent Ears Audio Laboratories - Better Music Through Chemistry

MUSIC IS LIKE CANDY. IT'S ONLY GOOD WHEN YOU GET RID OF ALL THE RAPPERS.
))#####D~~~~ (_l_)
ablethevoice is offline   Reply With Quote