Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > Media Room > Movies & TV

Movies & TV Talk about your favorite films and TV shows or find out if a new movie is worth seeing.

Old 07-11-2007   #1
EmperorChaos
Ruin you like this website.

Location: Charleston, South Carolina, United States, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster
EmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to EmperorChaos Send a message via AIM to EmperorChaos Send a message via MSN to EmperorChaos Send a message via Yahoo to EmperorChaos
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

I just got out of the theatre from this one a mere two hours ago. It was quite incredible and I was overall pleased with the picture. I did have problems with some things being left out but as I told my Harry Potter liking friend Crys through text messages (she saw it in a different threatre) you can't expect the movie to contain everything as it will lose the interest of and confuse the average illiterate moviegoer.

Shit is goin' down! I cannot wait for the seventh book. I'm going to devour it (metaphorically of course for all you fat guy-hating bastards)!

Also Nymphadora Tonks is HOT HOT HOT!! She and I could roleplay Dark Wizard and Auror any day!
And Luna Lovegood is just adorable in the movie, just the way I would hope she would be portrayed.
The first thing that came into being, void and without form, a lifeless lump, unfashioned and unframed, the Prima Materia from which all comes, influenced by forms and given structure by matter it becomes all that is, with increase in entropy it is into which all shall fall, endlessly and in all directions, a self-reflexive paradox.
-=-=-=-
"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." -Isaac Asimov
EmperorChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007   #2
Rhylin
dulce ex animo

Rhylin is a splendid one to beholdRhylin is a splendid one to beholdRhylin is a splendid one to beholdRhylin is a splendid one to beholdRhylin is a splendid one to beholdRhylin is a splendid one to beholdRhylin is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Yahoo to Rhylin
Re: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Oh I'm so jealous, I can't wait to go see it. I've actually not had on complaint about the way they've done the movies in relation to the books. Except Victor Krum wasn't in enough of the movie. That played a good fantasy for me for weeks.

Did you watch Rawlings' cry as she said that 7th would likely be the final stop? I died a little, too. >.<

Anyway, my friend and I have this tradition of always dressing in house colors when we go to see the movies. I'll have to get out all of my Hufflepuff stuff tomorrow.
Old 07-11-2007   #3
Savage_Nature
I love my brother.

Savage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond repute

Booo-hiss!!! Hufflepuff lover.

I'd much rather Ravenclaw. From what I remember anyway, due to the release dates of the books I end up re-reading them all whenever a new one comes out >.<

Savage_Nature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007   #4
EmperorChaos

Location: Charleston, South Carolina, United States, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster
EmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to EmperorChaos Send a message via AIM to EmperorChaos Send a message via MSN to EmperorChaos Send a message via Yahoo to EmperorChaos

Quote:
Originally Said by Rhylin View Post
Oh I'm so jealous, I can't wait to go see it. I've actually not had on complaint about the way they've done the movies in relation to the books. Except Victor Krum wasn't in enough of the movie. That played a good fantasy for me for weeks.

Let us know what you think will you whenever you do get around to seeing it.

Quote:
Did you watch Rawlings' cry as she said that 7th would likely be the final stop? I died a little, too. >.<
No I didn't, but I've known it would be. It's very sad indeed but I hope (and do not expect) her Harry Potter universe to just wither and die. I expect she'll try her hand at other writings and eventually go back to something along HP lines. Perhaps Magic is coming to an end? We'll just have to see. (Though, the death of magic has already been done in an Ursula K. LeGuin series "The Wizard of Earthsea cycle".

Quote:
Anyway, my friend and I have this tradition of always dressing in house colors when we go to see the movies. I'll have to get out all of my Hufflepuff stuff tomorrow.
Hufflepuff you say? While I won't go dressing up or anything, I believe I would definitely be in Ravenclaw. I was always surprised that Hermione isn't in that House herself, but her bravery must come from being friends with Harry.

Of course, we couldn't really say what house we'd be in as that would be up to the Sorting, would it not? =P
The first thing that came into being, void and without form, a lifeless lump, unfashioned and unframed, the Prima Materia from which all comes, influenced by forms and given structure by matter it becomes all that is, with increase in entropy it is into which all shall fall, endlessly and in all directions, a self-reflexive paradox.
-=-=-=-
"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." -Isaac Asimov
Old 07-11-2007   #5
Rhylin
dulce ex animo

Rhylin is a splendid one to beholdRhylin is a splendid one to beholdRhylin is a splendid one to beholdRhylin is a splendid one to beholdRhylin is a splendid one to beholdRhylin is a splendid one to beholdRhylin is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Yahoo to Rhylin

Well, she said in her interview "never say never" to the actual end of the series, so while I believe some of the characters will come to an end, the story itself will be left open. It's a fantastic creation that has created a plane so vast, the room for extension is incredibly large. I'd personally like to see some play on the other schools...

And so true, it would not be up to us to pick our house, but seeing as how we don't have direct access to a Hat of Sorting, we'll just have to be our own judge of character. ^.^ Hufflepuff displays my more predominate qualities nicely, though I'm sure it sorting, it would go far beyond that.
Old 07-11-2007   #6
Demento
Banned

Demento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Demento Send a message via MSN to Demento

I fully watched the end part, with the fight. I enjoyed their battle, and how they moved around with black or white smoke. Nothing like the book in that regard, but great nonetheless.

The other part of the movie i was busy fending off this nympho mormon chick. And by fending off, i mean making out with. it was really weird

Demento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007   #7
Wheels
Aristodemus of Sparta

Wheels has a reputation beyond reputeWheels has a reputation beyond reputeWheels has a reputation beyond reputeWheels has a reputation beyond reputeWheels has a reputation beyond reputeWheels has a reputation beyond reputeWheels has a reputation beyond reputeWheels has a reputation beyond reputeWheels has a reputation beyond reputeWheels has a reputation beyond reputeWheels has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah the end battle was freaking sweet. I loved it, as it really put a movie quality to it, and not just a book to movie.

Problem with all of them (cept for chamber of secrets which was paced fairly well) is that they all go for over 2 hours and feel extremely rushed. You can feel so much isn't being told.

Tonks... Wow, that was awesome, cause a friend of mine dressed up as Tonks at a halloween party last year, (obviously before you would have seen tonks) and she looked EXACTLY like how Tonks looked in the movie. The hair colour was perfect.

Whoever cannot take care of themself without that law is both.

For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I Live, I will kill you, If I Die, You are forgiven."

Such is the Rule of Honor.
Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007   #8
Thoughtcrime
I grew up to be black.

Thoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond repute

I was going to see it here but it would be in German. I watched the Titanic in German and although I can get most of it I miss a lot of subtle stuff. I'd prefer to just wait til I'm home. I'm hella more excited for the last book than the damn movie.
Old 07-11-2007   #9
EmperorChaos

Quote:
Originally Said by Demento View Post
I fully watched the end part, with the fight. I enjoyed their battle, and how they moved around with black or white smoke. Nothing like the book in that regard, but great nonetheless.
That's what I said to my friend. Reading it in the book the battle doesn't seem as fast-paced as that... but then, you think about it, and it would have to be. It's just the book makes it like it's a turn-based RPG or something, you know? Like you gotta wait for your turn... seeing it done so quickly and spectacularly really made the movie worth it all, despite what was left out.

Quote:
The other part of the movie i was busy fending off this nympho mormon chick. And by fending off, i mean making out with. it was really weird
Really now? You were hanging out with Storm? Sorry, I just had to go there. She's been being a bitch to me lately and the off-chance that she reads this will make it all worthwhile.

Quote:
Originally Said by Stonic
Yeah the end battle was freaking sweet. I loved it, as it really put a movie quality to it, and not just a book to movie.
The transition was done well, from book to movie, I mean. With what we saw in that end battle, I cannot wait to see the end of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.
Quote:
Problem with all of them (cept for chamber of secrets which was paced fairly well) is that they all go for over 2 hours and feel extremely rushed. You can feel so much isn't being told.
More and more these days I'm seeing book adaptations and "epic adventure" type movies running about 3 hours. I don't see why they won't do that Harry Potter. Unless little kids don't have that kind of attention span. Fuck little kids, they can't even read yet. I got pissed off when this little 4 year old brat started whining in the middle of the movie last night. What the fuck was she doing there after midnight? Don't parents regulate children's sleeping schedules anymore?

Quote:
Tonks... Wow, that was awesome, cause a friend of mine dressed up as Tonks at a halloween party last year, (obviously before you would have seen tonks) and she looked EXACTLY like how Tonks looked in the movie. The hair colour was perfect.
Dude, get her to dress up at Nymphadora all the time... and have her move to the States, Charleston has a nice harbor to dock at. Anyway, I'd go to a Halloween party as an HP character, the only problem is I can't think of anyone I'd go as. Except maybe Horace Slughorn from book six.

Quote:
Originally Said by MudPuppet View Post
I was going to see it here but it would be in German. I watched the Titanic in German and although I can get most of it I miss a lot of subtle stuff. I'd prefer to just wait til I'm home. I'm hella more excited for the last book than the damn movie.
I don't know, seeing it in German might have been kinda cool. I'm sure you know German a hell of a lot better than I do so you'd definitely understand whereas I'd just be looking at the picture and all.

Question for you though, how do you say "Black" in German? As in Sirius Black? I believe it is Scharwz or something. And if you know of anyone with book 6 (the German translation), flip to the back and look in Chapter 28 for the letter to Lord Voldemort from R.A.B. and check the initials. Yay, mystery solved!
-=-=-=-
Old 07-14-2007   #10
Demento
Banned

Demento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by EmperorChaos View Post
That's what I said to my friend. Reading it in the book the battle doesn't seem as fast-paced as that... but then, you think about it, and it would have to be. It's just the book makes it like it's a turn-based RPG or something, you know? Like you gotta wait for your turn... seeing it done so quickly and spectacularly really made the movie worth it all, despite what was left out.

Thats true.. the book does make it seem a little slower then reality. I dont like how they changed the fight scene to one essential room. There was no scene where they had to figure out what room it was, or the attack of the brain-things. All the kids were in perfect condition the whole time... whereas in the book half of them were unconcious or jinxed.

One thing i always enjoyed with the movies was that no over-popular actors are used. It bugged me to see bellatrix lestrange played by that chick from Fight Club.

Old 07-14-2007   #11
Sytrohs87
goliath

Sytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Sytrohs87 Send a message via MSN to Sytrohs87

Quote:
Originally Said by Demento View Post
One thing i always enjoyed with the movies was that no over-popular actors are used. It bugged me to see bellatrix lestrange played by that chick from Fight Club.
Phaw! Richard Harris(old Dumbledore), Maggie Smith, and Alan Rickman are all well-known actors off the top of my head. Plus Helena Bonham Carter is such a perfect match for that role.

Anyway, I thought the movie looked more like a clean, well-edited movie, than a beautifully directed movie. It felt very formulaic to me, as though the director was rather disinterested in doing it and was just going through the motions. Nonetheless, I was still pretty impressed. It was much much better than the fourth one to be sure, and that huge fight scene was spectacular. I wanted it to keep going.. one of the best parts of the film, imho. I still contend that Prisoner of Azkaban was the most beautifully done, and I wish that director would consider doing another in the series.

-The Mars Volta

"I consider the positions of kings and rulers as that of dust motes. I observe treasures of gold and gems as so many bricks and pebbles. I look upon the finest silken robes as tattered rags. I see myriad worlds of the universe as small seeds of fruit, and the greatest lake in India as a drop of oil on my foot. I perceive the teachings of the world to be the illusion of magicians. I discern the highest conception of emancipation as a golden brocade in a dream, and view the holy path of the illuminated ones as flowers appearing in one's eyes. I see meditation as a pillar of a mountain, Nirvana as a nightmare of daytime. I look upon the judgment of right and wrong as the serpentine dance of a dragon, and the rise and fall of beliefs as but traces left by the four seasons."

-Siddhartha Gautama
Sytrohs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007   #12
Wheels
Aristodemus of Sparta

Wheels has a reputation beyond reputeWheels has a reputation beyond reputeWheels has a reputation beyond reputeWheels has a reputation beyond reputeWheels has a reputation beyond reputeWheels has a reputation beyond reputeWheels has a reputation beyond reputeWheels has a reputation beyond reputeWheels has a reputation beyond reputeWheels has a reputation beyond reputeWheels has a reputation beyond repute

Demento! How could you! You've hurt me on a plane I didn't think possible!

Helena Bonham Carter was absolutely PERFECT for Bellatrix Lestrange. Flat out perfect. That to me was the best casting of the whole damn thing.

Oh and now that Daniel Radcliff has grown up, he doesn't look like harry potter should. He did when he was younger, but not now.

Whoever cannot take care of themself without that law is both.

For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I Live, I will kill you, If I Die, You are forgiven."

Such is the Rule of Honor.
Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007   #13
Sytrohs87
goliath

Sytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Sytrohs87 Send a message via MSN to Sytrohs87

Quote:
Originally Said by stonic View Post

Helena Bonham Carter was absolutely PERFECT for Bellatrix Lestrange. Flat out perfect. That to me was the best casting of the whole damn thing.
Couldn't agree more, sir. rep is in order! *reps away*

-The Mars Volta

"I consider the positions of kings and rulers as that of dust motes. I observe treasures of gold and gems as so many bricks and pebbles. I look upon the finest silken robes as tattered rags. I see myriad worlds of the universe as small seeds of fruit, and the greatest lake in India as a drop of oil on my foot. I perceive the teachings of the world to be the illusion of magicians. I discern the highest conception of emancipation as a golden brocade in a dream, and view the holy path of the illuminated ones as flowers appearing in one's eyes. I see meditation as a pillar of a mountain, Nirvana as a nightmare of daytime. I look upon the judgment of right and wrong as the serpentine dance of a dragon, and the rise and fall of beliefs as but traces left by the four seasons."

-Siddhartha Gautama
Sytrohs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007   #14
Demento
Banned

Quote:
Originally Said by stonic View Post

Oh and now that Daniel Radcliff has grown up, he doesn't look like harry potter should. He did when he was younger, but not now.
Im sorry.. i feel horrible. lol

Regardless... i cannot wait the 5 more days til the book is out. I signed up so that i can get it at midnight on the 20th. Only problem will be that i will end up staying up for like 6 hours reading it.

Old 07-15-2007   #15
Funk*Sonic*7
Im super cereal!

Location: Randomly by chance out of nowhere, b/c that's more plausible
Funk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond repute

Well guys, every time I try to contribute something to this particular thread, I always get interrupted with other things...

like a normal sex life!

Just kidding
"God is the shaper of your heart. God does not display his work in abstract terms. He prefers the concrete, and this means that at the end of your life one of three things will happen to your heart: it will grow hard, it will be broken, or it will be tender. Nobody escapes." - Ravi Zacharias
Funk*Sonic*7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007   #16
Summer Gurl
She shines like the summer sun

Summer Gurl has a reputation beyond reputeSummer Gurl has a reputation beyond reputeSummer Gurl has a reputation beyond reputeSummer Gurl has a reputation beyond reputeSummer Gurl has a reputation beyond reputeSummer Gurl has a reputation beyond reputeSummer Gurl has a reputation beyond reputeSummer Gurl has a reputation beyond reputeSummer Gurl has a reputation beyond reputeSummer Gurl has a reputation beyond reputeSummer Gurl has a reputation beyond repute

Loved it.. ready for the next one! YAY

Summer Gurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007   #17
Blackass
groingrabbingly good!

Blackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Blackass

I liked it. Sure it didn't follow the book exactly, but with a piece of literature that long, it's exceedingly hard to make a movie under 3 or 4 hours that covers it all.

Bellatrix was my favorite character, she was freaking awesome.
Blackass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007   #18
EmperorChaos

My friend had a problem with Helena Bonham Carter for the role of Bellatrix.

I disagreed.

We argued on that for awhile.

So I think the point is moot.

I do wish I could remember who he suggested though as he made an equally good point with it.

My impatience for the book 7 is growing exponentially.
-=-=-=-
Old 07-16-2007   #19
Demento
Banned

5 more days. Ill grab the book at midnight. Even it that means I have to pummel some kids dressed as harry potter. Im getting my book.

Old 07-16-2007   #20
Summer Gurl
She shines like the summer sun

Summer Gurl has a reputation beyond reputeSummer Gurl has a reputation beyond reputeSummer Gurl has a reputation beyond reputeSummer Gurl has a reputation beyond reputeSummer Gurl has a reputation beyond reputeSummer Gurl has a reputation beyond reputeSummer Gurl has a reputation beyond reputeSummer Gurl has a reputation beyond reputeSummer Gurl has a reputation beyond reputeSummer Gurl has a reputation beyond reputeSummer Gurl has a reputation beyond repute

lol..nice

Summer Gurl is offline   Reply With Quote