Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > AlmostSmartism > Front Page

Front Page The threads which appears on the front page. Add your comments or create your own front page threads.

Old 03-20-2006   #1
Madre
Double Plus Good Mod!

Madre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond repute
Tom Cruise vs. 'South Park'?

LOS ANGELES, California (Reuters) -- Actor Tom Cruise threatened to boycott promotion of his upcoming Paramount Pictures film unless a sister cable TV network pulled a "South Park" rerun lampooning the Church of Scientology, industry sources said on Friday.

Representatives for Paramount and Cruise, a prominent Scientologist, denied he made any such threats or had anything to do with the Comedy Central network canceling plans to air a repeat of the "South Park" episode titled "Trapped in the Closet," on Wednesday.

Trey Parker and Matt Stone, creators of the crudely animated cartoon hit, issued a quirky statement, filled with references to Scientology and the science-fiction writings of church founder L. Ron Hubbard, suggesting Scientology was behind the scheduling change.

"So, Scientology, you have won THIS battle, but the million-year war for Earth has just begun," the pair wrote.

"Temporarily anozinizing our episode will NOT stop us from keeping Thetans forever trapped in your pitiful man-bodies. Curses and drat! You have obstructed us for now, but your feeble bid to save humanity will fail! Hail Xenu!!!"

Instead of the Tom Cruise episode, the network aired reruns of two "South Park" episodes featuring the character Chef, voiced by veteran soul singer Isaac Hayes, also a Scientologist, who quit the show earlier this week.

Comedy Central, which like Paramount is owned by Viacom Inc., declined comment on the rerun switch, other than to say: "In light of the events of earlier this week, we wanted to give Chef an appropriate tribute by airing two episodes he is most known for."

Two industry sources familiar with the situation told Reuters Comedy Central pulled the "Trapped in the Closet" episode from its "South Park" rerun rotation after Cruise threatened to cease promotion of his upcoming Paramount film, "Mission: Impossible III."

Cruise spokesman Paul Bloch said neither the actor nor his representatives "had anything to do" with the scheduling of "South Park" reruns and that Cruise had never said to anyone he would refuse to promote his film. Paramount spokeswoman Janet Hill denied any knowledge of such a threat.

Outlandish religious satire has been a mainstay of the show since its debut in 1997, poking fun at Catholics, Jews, Mormons, Buddhists and Muslims. One early episode featured a martial-arts duel between Jesus and Santa Claus over the true meaning of Christmas.

While Hayes cited the show's ridicule of religion generally as his reason for leaving the series, Stone said in a statement on Monday the soul singer was specifically upset about the "Trapped in the Closet" episode, which first aired last fall.

In it, the character named Stan scores so high on a Scientology test that church followers think he is the next L. Ron Hubbard. Cruise is depicted locking himself in Stan's closet and then refusing repeated requests by various characters to "come out of the closet," including John Travolta, who eventually joins Cruise in the closet.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/TV/0...eut/index.html
III.IIVIVIXIIVIVIIIVVIIIIXVIIIXIIIIIIIIVIIIIVVIIIV IIVIIIIIIVIII - Solomon (I Kings 7:23)
Madre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006   #2
psychoDiablo
Thx for the memories

psychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to psychoDiablo Send a message via Yahoo to psychoDiablo
Re: Tom Cruise vs. 'South Park'?

have you seen that episode?

dear god it's hilarious!

fuck tom cruise and his stupid acting in his stupid movies. Thanks for bringing to mind, South Park, and making me remember that episode which caused me to laugh out loud right now.

lmao "tom cruise, you need to come out of the closet." "...No."

everyone needs to watch that episode, if not watch South Park altogether.

To chill is to be chillin.
Chillin is cooperating with your surroundings, unknowing'st of what everything is capable of; and all the while, as it happens and after, to accept without any thought of good or bad, but mainly, just enjoying rather deeply, the moment you had to sit and think. (Not thinking.)

|-Mr.MCR-|

Will you write
Will you love
Will you enjoy
Life when I am gone?
You will.
by Angelina

"I have lived life as horrible as it was, and as beautiful as it has become."
psychoDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006   #3
Penie
i love kali more than carrots

Penie has a reputation beyond reputePenie has a reputation beyond reputePenie has a reputation beyond reputePenie has a reputation beyond reputePenie has a reputation beyond reputePenie has a reputation beyond reputePenie has a reputation beyond reputePenie has a reputation beyond reputePenie has a reputation beyond reputePenie has a reputation beyond reputePenie has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Penie

south park is genius. its just a shame that people who havnt watched the later episodes generally percieve the programme based on the first three of four rocky seasons. the later episodes deal with heavy issues intelligentlly, while managing to be absolutely hilarious and immature at the same time.

my favorite episodes are the awesome-o episode; 'fart sequence initiated', the one withe russel crow and the 'biggest douche in the universe episode. its an awesome show.
Old 03-20-2006   #4
junki

junki is an Almost Smart godjunki is an Almost Smart godjunki is an Almost Smart godjunki is an Almost Smart godjunki is an Almost Smart godjunki is an Almost Smart godjunki is an Almost Smart godjunki is an Almost Smart godjunki is an Almost Smart godjunki is an Almost Smart godjunki is an Almost Smart god

I feel for some artists that try hard to avoid the public, but the media pursues them anyway. Tom Cruise has made every effort in the world to be in the spotlight, on TV, in the gossip pages, etc. When you ask for the attention, don't bitch just because you hated the humor. Cruise is a douche, a prick, and a cult member.
junki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006   #5
psychoDiablo
Thx for the memories

psychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond repute

forget cruise. make this a south park thread.

i have seen that episode penie of Awesome o. damn fat ass cartman is hilarious.

and russel crow, only thing he likes's fightin! lol he starts beating everyone up

Chillin is cooperating with your surroundings, unknowing'st of what everything is capable of; and all the while, as it happens and after, to accept without any thought of good or bad, but mainly, just enjoying rather deeply, the moment you had to sit and think. (Not thinking.)

|-Mr.MCR-|

Will you write
Will you love
Will you enjoy
Life when I am gone?
You will.
by Angelina

Old 03-20-2006   #6
Penie

Penie has a reputation beyond reputePenie has a reputation beyond reputePenie has a reputation beyond reputePenie has a reputation beyond reputePenie has a reputation beyond reputePenie has a reputation beyond reputePenie has a reputation beyond reputePenie has a reputation beyond reputePenie has a reputation beyond reputePenie has a reputation beyond reputePenie has a reputation beyond repute

'making movies, making music and fighting round the world!'
Old 03-20-2006   #7
psychoDiablo
Thx for the memories

season 6. its' 20 bucks on amazon.com, used. brand new it's 40

ill probably buy it

|-Mr.MCR-|

Will you write
Will you love
Will you enjoy
Life when I am gone?
You will.
by Angelina

Old 03-20-2006   #8
oceandream130
Future star of a Zach Braff film!

oceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond repute

I typically detest South Park, but occasionally I catch in episode which I enjoy, and this was one of them. Honestly, I thought it was one of the most hilarious things I had ever seen! I felt they handled the issue in a completely satirical and appropriate (okay, I guess you can't really use that word with South Park...haha) manner. I guess I don't understand why this particular episode is generating so much controversy, when they have done this type of thing on essentially every other episode (at least, from the impression I get). I know that sometimes mocking society and such can be offensive when it is taken too far, but frankly, I think that sometimes people simply aren't able to look past the fact that it is meant to be humorous. How many times have South Park and other shows mocked faiths, celebrities, etc. and have not generated as much controversy? I know other shows have been controversial, but I don't think many have been as controversial as this one. Heck, I heard that the guy who played "Chef" quit because he was offended by it - yet, it was okay for him to work when they were blatenly mocking Christianity, Judiasm, etc?
Old 03-20-2006   #9
Mr Stabby
Turned out to be crazy weird

Mr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond repute

personally this just seems to be one of those flash in the pan protest arguements...right now scientology seems to be getting the backlash from it all....didnt simpsons also take a stab at it too?

but regardless its all a moot point, some people just cry way to much when a cartoon or comedian uses something as a piviot to their humour...shit we been doing it for years, why is everyone in such a panty knot about it now?

oh and I say, good thing Isaak Hayes quiting, now he can go back to something good again...get his singing career back on top form...be best known for that, not for voicing the character of a sex crazed school cook....

im sorry but southpark like simpsons has run its course, its just not funny anymore, and those laughing I duno...I dont know why their laughing, cos I like many many others just dont find it funny..
Old 03-20-2006   #10
moonlight_serenade
groingrabbingly good!

moonlight_serenade has a reputation beyond reputemoonlight_serenade has a reputation beyond reputemoonlight_serenade has a reputation beyond reputemoonlight_serenade has a reputation beyond reputemoonlight_serenade has a reputation beyond reputemoonlight_serenade has a reputation beyond reputemoonlight_serenade has a reputation beyond reputemoonlight_serenade has a reputation beyond reputemoonlight_serenade has a reputation beyond reputemoonlight_serenade has a reputation beyond reputemoonlight_serenade has a reputation beyond repute

Shut up, Tom Cruise.

Honestly, I think Tom Cruise needs to learn to take himself a little less seriously, since apparently no one takes Tom as seriously as Tom does. Whatever happened to freedom of speech? South Park routinely lampoons various other religions, the government, and many other "touchy" subjects, yet no one has made such a big deal out of it as Tom Cruise. Seriously, GET OVER IT. Throwing a temper tantrum, like a 2-year old who isn't allowed to have a new toy, isn't going to help matters. If you're in the entertainment business, and as high-profile as Tom Cruise, you're going to inevitably be the subject of criticism or ridicule. Like they say, if you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. This constant bitching and whining isn't winning you any fans, and neither is your constant harping about the wonders of Scientology or the evils of psychology. So, kindly remove your head from your sphincter, and learn to laugh at yourself once in a while.

Gah.

... Okay, I'm done.

moonlight_serenade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006   #11
Mr Stabby

Mr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by moonlight_serenade
Shut up, Tom Cruise.

Honestly, I think Tom Cruise needs to learn to take himself a little less seriously, since apparently no one takes Tom as seriously as Tom does. Whatever happened to freedom of speech? South Park routinely lampoons various other religions, the government, and many other "touchy" subjects, yet no one has made such a big deal out of it as Tom Cruise. Seriously, GET OVER IT. Throwing a temper tantrum, like a 2-year old who isn't allowed to have a new toy, isn't going to help matters. If you're in the entertainment business, and as high-profile as Tom Cruise, you're going to inevitably be the subject of criticism or ridicule. Like they say, if you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. This constant bitching and whining isn't winning you any fans, and neither is your constant harping about the wonders of Scientology or the evils of psychology. So, kindly remove your head from your sphincter, and learn to laugh at yourself once in a while.

Gah.

... Okay, I'm done.
hahaha thats ironic your bitching about someone else bitching, whos only bitching cos others bitch about people who bitch TO others about their shitty sinful ways an how we should repent
Old 03-21-2006   #12
psychoDiablo
Thx for the memories

Quote:
Originally Said by moonlight_serenade
Shut up, Tom Cruise.

Gah.

... Okay, I'm done.
lmao that was dope!

South Park is the greatest cartoon ever. fuck the simpsons. South Park contains in it everyday society life. how the fuck can that not be funny?

and this about "going too far" Oceandream, i'll take it you dont like Carlos Mencia.. Now i dont really care for him. some of his jokes i like, others just ehh. he can be a bit stereotypical racist. but hey, someone has got to say it, and what better way to say it than in a joke?

shit if you can't laugh, there's a problem with you. you can't take anything too far. taking something too far is making me cry because my stomach hurts from laughing too damn hard/much. and i love that mind you!

i say if you dont like south park you're a fucking pansy. and i already know that about you dean. so dont take anything personal to that statement i just made.

|-Mr.MCR-|

Will you write
Will you love
Will you enjoy
Life when I am gone?
You will.
by Angelina

Old 03-21-2006   #13
Penie

Quote:
Originally Said by Mr Stabby
im sorry but southpark like simpsons has run its course, its just not funny anymore, and those laughing I duno...I dont know why their laughing, cos I like many many others just dont find it funny..
this is pretty much a concrete argument for you having no sense of humer. you geuinlly think old south park > new? new south park is one hunderd times better than the old ones, its funny and clever, whereas old south park is just a bit embaressing. new simpsons clearly are worse than the middle ones, but there still pretty funny, and still relevent.
Old 03-21-2006   #14
fake_15

fake_15 has made a few great posts

Has anyone seen the bleeding virgin mary statue, that was wrong in so many forms, they pulled that episode from reairing too.
Cartman: I'm sorry, I'm sorry. Actually, what I said was... [picks up a megaphone] HOW WOULD YOU LIKE TO SUCK MY BALLS?
fake_15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006   #15
Mr Stabby

Quote:
Originally Said by Penie
this is pretty much a concrete argument for you having no sense of humer. you geuinlly think old south park > new? new south park is one hunderd times better than the old ones, its funny and clever, whereas old south park is just a bit embaressing. new simpsons clearly are worse than the middle ones, but there still pretty funny, and still relevent.
to be perfectly honest I havent watched southpark in around 2 years now, so like the new episodes I saw (on UK tv) were when they I think killed kenny for good...least at that point or something..

I just feel some of the stuff was repeated, I personally dont like southpark anyway, I think its too crude and crass, but thats me..
Old 03-21-2006   #16
Jenn and tonic
"maaaaagic!"

Jenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Jenn and tonic

Quote:
to be perfectly honest I havent watched southpark in around 2 years now, so like the new episodes I saw (on UK tv) were when they I think killed kenny for good...least at that point or something..

I just feel some of the stuff was repeated, I personally dont like southpark anyway, I think its too crude and crass, but thats me..
Strangely, I agree with Dean. I watched the old episodes, don't really watch the new, though I'm sure the satire is good. The show just became a little too 'crude and crass' to quote Mr. Stabby.
When all government, in little as in great things, shall be drawn to Washington as the Center of all power, it will render powerless the checks provided of one government on another and will become as venal and oppressive as the government from which we separated. Thomas Jefferson
Jenn and tonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006   #17
Mr Stabby

oh dear lord....did hell freeze over? lol Jenn agreed with me
Old 03-21-2006   #18
Jenn and tonic
"maaaaagic!"

Jenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Jenn and tonic

Quote:
oh dear lord....did hell freeze over? lol Jenn agreed with me
And pigs have flown, too.

This may never happen again, folks, cherish it while it lasts.
When all government, in little as in great things, shall be drawn to Washington as the Center of all power, it will render powerless the checks provided of one government on another and will become as venal and oppressive as the government from which we separated. Thomas Jefferson
Jenn and tonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006   #19
psychoDiablo
Thx for the memories

almost as bad as you guys saying south park is...

jeez , what's really goin on.. ?

|-Mr.MCR-|

Will you write
Will you love
Will you enjoy
Life when I am gone?
You will.
by Angelina

Old 03-21-2006   #20
Mr Stabby

well each to his own matt..