Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > The Lounge > Debate & Politics

Debate & Politics Fight! Fight! Fight! Keep your arguments clean, and be constructive about getting your point across.

Old 11-20-2007   #21
The-Chadster
truth is more important than facts

The-Chadster is an Almost Smart godThe-Chadster is an Almost Smart godThe-Chadster is an Almost Smart godThe-Chadster is an Almost Smart godThe-Chadster is an Almost Smart godThe-Chadster is an Almost Smart godThe-Chadster is an Almost Smart godThe-Chadster is an Almost Smart godThe-Chadster is an Almost Smart godThe-Chadster is an Almost Smart godThe-Chadster is an Almost Smart god
And christianity stands out because there is a savior.
I guess my faith is kept strong because when i trust God, things always seem to work out, He always pulls me through. And when I keep God out of the picture, I fail. So mostly its personal experience.

Quote:
Originally Said by Jugband View Post
My problem with religion isn't necessarily religion per
se, it's the followers that get me.
I will agree with you there. I know enough Christians, that by their actions would make most people rather not be associated with Christianity. They claim to be Christians, but act exactly opposite.
John 8:28 Then Jesus said unto them, When ye lifted up the Son of man, then yee shall know that I am He, and that I do nothing of myself; but as my Father hath taught me, I speak these things.
Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

So clap your hands to the sound
Of every first born dying now
Watch the rivers flow with blood
Death will stand where life once stood

Last edited by Kali; 11-21-2007 at 07:48 AM.
The-Chadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007   #22
misfitchris
zer0.

misfitchris is an Almost Smart godmisfitchris is an Almost Smart godmisfitchris is an Almost Smart godmisfitchris is an Almost Smart godmisfitchris is an Almost Smart godmisfitchris is an Almost Smart godmisfitchris is an Almost Smart godmisfitchris is an Almost Smart godmisfitchris is an Almost Smart godmisfitchris is an Almost Smart godmisfitchris is an Almost Smart god
Send a message via AIM to misfitchris
Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Said by The-Chadster View Post
And christianity stands out because there is a savior.
I guess my faith is kept strong because when i trust God, things always seem to work out, He always pulls me through. And when I keep God out of the picture, I fail. So mostly its personal experience.
your a nut. lol.

Don't you just love it when the end result is greater than the sum of its parts?
misfitchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007   #23
The-Chadster
truth is more important than facts

The-Chadster is an Almost Smart godThe-Chadster is an Almost Smart godThe-Chadster is an Almost Smart godThe-Chadster is an Almost Smart godThe-Chadster is an Almost Smart godThe-Chadster is an Almost Smart godThe-Chadster is an Almost Smart godThe-Chadster is an Almost Smart godThe-Chadster is an Almost Smart godThe-Chadster is an Almost Smart godThe-Chadster is an Almost Smart god

And sometimes i'm nut.
May that go down as the worst pun in history.
John 8:28 Then Jesus said unto them, When ye lifted up the Son of man, then yee shall know that I am He, and that I do nothing of myself; but as my Father hath taught me, I speak these things.
Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

So clap your hands to the sound
Of every first born dying now
Watch the rivers flow with blood
Death will stand where life once stood
The-Chadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007   #24
Jugband
Andrew's spokesman

Jugband has a reputation beyond reputeJugband has a reputation beyond reputeJugband has a reputation beyond reputeJugband has a reputation beyond reputeJugband has a reputation beyond reputeJugband has a reputation beyond reputeJugband has a reputation beyond reputeJugband has a reputation beyond reputeJugband has a reputation beyond reputeJugband has a reputation beyond reputeJugband has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I will agree with you there. I know enough Christians, that by their actions would make most people rather not be associated with Christianity.
I'm one of them.

Jugband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007   #25
EmperorChaos
Ruin you like this website.

Location: Charleston, South Carolina, United States, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster
EmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to EmperorChaos Send a message via AIM to EmperorChaos Send a message via MSN to EmperorChaos Send a message via Yahoo to EmperorChaos

Quote:
And sometimes i'm nut.
May that go down as the worst pun in history.
Haha, it made me laugh... Rep!

-=-=-

But I haven't really been paying much attention to this thread. I plan on reading it and seeing if there's anything worth responding to or asking.

But tomorrow I plan to make out a counter-thread, one entitled "Atheism". I've already got a chunk of it written, but I want to finish it later.

We'll go from there.
The first thing that came into being, void and without form, a lifeless lump, unfashioned and unframed, the Prima Materia from which all comes, influenced by forms and given structure by matter it becomes all that is, with increase in entropy it is into which all shall fall, endlessly and in all directions, a self-reflexive paradox.
-=-=-=-
"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." -Isaac Asimov
EmperorChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007   #26
Jenn and tonic
"maaaaagic!"

Jenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Jenn and tonic

Quote:
Originally Said by Zanahoria_Picante View Post
I've at least glimpsed -- know the basic tenets and some details -- about other world views: Islam, Animism, Buddhism, the Post-Modern "mood," Jehovah's Witnesses, and some others. Christianity, to me, stands out from the lot in these respects:

* God-focused (centrality of God; who He is and what He's done takes absolute precedence.
This is much like the Shahadah, the first pillar of Islam, which states that there is no god but Allah.

Quote:
Accountability has its place, but it's not the prime focus) and not self-focused ("how can I make myself better/presentable and, therefore, gain God's favor/mercy/approval?" or “no supreme being(s) exists or relates to me at all” or some variation).
Another one of the pillars of Islam is that believers are to give alms to the poor. It's considered a Muslim's responsibility to help.

Quote:
* Christians can confidently know that they have salvation solely based on God’s word.
Not so much Muslims, or at least, not that I've studied. Muslims on the board, feel free to correct me. From what I've seen, it's a combination of God's grace and works, i.e doing good things.
When all government, in little as in great things, shall be drawn to Washington as the Center of all power, it will render powerless the checks provided of one government on another and will become as venal and oppressive as the government from which we separated. Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by JaSunTzu; 11-21-2007 at 08:30 AM.
Jenn and tonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007   #27
misfitchris
zer0.

misfitchris is an Almost Smart godmisfitchris is an Almost Smart godmisfitchris is an Almost Smart godmisfitchris is an Almost Smart godmisfitchris is an Almost Smart godmisfitchris is an Almost Smart godmisfitchris is an Almost Smart godmisfitchris is an Almost Smart godmisfitchris is an Almost Smart godmisfitchris is an Almost Smart godmisfitchris is an Almost Smart god

western religions are so boring

Don't you just love it when the end result is greater than the sum of its parts?
Old 11-21-2007   #28
Kali
groingrabbingly good!

Kali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by Jenn and tonic View Post
Muslims on the board, feel free to correct me. From what I've seen, it's a combination of God's grace and works, i.e doing good things.
it is indeed.

i was actually going to reply to zanahoria's post about how christians can have salvation merely through faith in christ, and not through good deeds, and i have to admit that it bothers me a little - partly because i can't believe it to be entirely true.

the idea that a murderer, or a rapist, or any other criminal, who accepts jesus as his saviour regardless of his deeds, can get to heaven, is something that i simply can't get my head around.

i'm not saying that that is the case (in fact, i'd be surprised to find out that it was), but that's the impression i got from zanahoria's post.

also, jenn is spot on about the other things. islam, as far as i can see, is just an updated version of christianity. kind of like christianity vista or something.
Kali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007   #29
Jenn and tonic
"maaaaagic!"

Jenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond repute

It's something I wrestled with when I was a practicing Christian. Why could some serial killer get to heaven if he was just sorry for his actions and believed in Jesus as savior? Isn't there a point where saying sorry and having faith don't cut it?
When all government, in little as in great things, shall be drawn to Washington as the Center of all power, it will render powerless the checks provided of one government on another and will become as venal and oppressive as the government from which we separated. Thomas Jefferson
Old 11-21-2007   #30
Kali
groingrabbingly good!

Kali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond repute

i would have thought so. islam requires good deeds, and genuine repentance for sins - and by genuine i mean not just 'i'm really really sorry' and convincing those around you, but meaning it in your heart: a repentance only god can see for its truth.

you know when you've done something wrong if you're really sorry for it - but from the way it was worded earlier, 'being genuinely sorry' and 'having faith in christ' don't seem to me to necessarily go automatically hand in hand.
Kali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007   #31
EmperorChaos

Location: Charleston, South Carolina, United States, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster
EmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to EmperorChaos Send a message via AIM to EmperorChaos Send a message via MSN to EmperorChaos Send a message via Yahoo to EmperorChaos

Catholicism requires good deeds, for the record.

Also for the record, I hate Islam as much as I hate Christianity and Judaism. That is to say, a lot. But I hate the religion not the religious.
The first thing that came into being, void and without form, a lifeless lump, unfashioned and unframed, the Prima Materia from which all comes, influenced by forms and given structure by matter it becomes all that is, with increase in entropy it is into which all shall fall, endlessly and in all directions, a self-reflexive paradox.
-=-=-=-
"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." -Isaac Asimov
Old 11-21-2007   #32
petohtalrayn
fuck censorship

petohtalrayn is a knight of Almost Smartpetohtalrayn is a knight of Almost Smartpetohtalrayn is a knight of Almost Smartpetohtalrayn is a knight of Almost Smart

Quote:
Originally Said by chris
does anyone believe in mediums?
i believe in the *idea* of mediums. in the *possibility* of mediums.

but in what sense are you using the word medium?

Quote:
Originally Said by chad
I believe that people can talk to spirits. But after death a human's spirit goes to either heaven or hell. But demons and angels are spirits that can go from heaven (angels) or hell (demons) to earth. So i guess someone could ask a demon to talk to Hitler or something like that. But i don't think a living person could directly communicate with the dead. So i guess the demon or angel would be the medium. Thats my opinion anyway.
i'm fairly well-versed in that area of the occult, actually.

it depends on the sort of ritual you are using to communicate with the daemons. as far as i'm concerned this sort of study is seperate from the christian religion and there is no reason to believe that there are two polarized types of these beings. it's very human to humanize creatures that we do not understand; but why would anyone think that a sentient being living in a state of being higher than our own would be bound by things such as good and as evil. wouldn't, chad, an angel transcend such feeble mortal constructs?

anyway, some rituals claim to allow one to speak to such a daemon. in this scenario the daemon could be considered a medium, if we use the term loosely. these rituals make use of both a magic circle and what they call the triangle of art. less people are aware of the triangle, everybody associates majick ritual with the circle.

if you were to summon the spirit, or daemon, into the circle that you, the magus, inhabit, the spirit or daemon would enter you. the triangle of art is used to direct the spirit into a confined space that you do *not* inhabit, for security reasons.

if you were to summon the creature without the circle, *you* would become the medium with which the spirit or daemon communicates with our world.

Quote:
Originally Said by someone
the torah, the bible, the qur'an etc - they're all the same book (almost) with another story tagged onto the end (that's a viciously basic way of putting it, but it stands).
the major differences between the three major judeo-christian religions are as follows:

1. the jewish people are still waiting for their prophet.
2. the christian people believe that prophet was jesus.
3. the muslim people believe that prophet was mohammed, and that while jesus was a prophet, and was cool, he was not the son of god, and he was not as cool as mohammed.

you'll notice i didn't include mormons in the three major judeo-christian religions.
petohtalrayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007   #33
Jenn and tonic
"maaaaagic!"

To Christians, Jesus was the son of God which is more than a 'prophet.'
Old 11-21-2007   #34
petohtalrayn
fuck censorship

petohtalrayn is a knight of Almost Smartpetohtalrayn is a knight of Almost Smartpetohtalrayn is a knight of Almost Smartpetohtalrayn is a knight of Almost Smart

the christians believe he is the prophet that the jewish people were promised. that's all i'm saying.

what, did i not use a noun fit for your savior?

i don't care. he's not my savior. it's not my responsibility to flower up his descriptions.
Old 11-21-2007   #35
Jugband
Andrew's spokesman

Jugband has a reputation beyond reputeJugband has a reputation beyond reputeJugband has a reputation beyond reputeJugband has a reputation beyond reputeJugband has a reputation beyond reputeJugband has a reputation beyond reputeJugband has a reputation beyond reputeJugband has a reputation beyond reputeJugband has a reputation beyond reputeJugband has a reputation beyond reputeJugband has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by noisome View Post

i don't care. he's not my savior. it's not my responsibility to flower up his descriptions.
Don't be such a hot head.

Jugband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007   #36
EmperorChaos

Quote:
the christians believe he is the prophet that the jewish people were promised. that's all i'm saying.

Stop making assumptions about other people. I don't think Jenn is religious.
-=-=-=-
Old 11-22-2007   #37
misfitchris
zer0.

a medium: something or someone that can transcend the barrier of life and death through either direct or indirect means. basically im asking are you more of a mysticism/spirtualism or skeptic?

Old 11-22-2007   #38
Jenn and tonic
"maaaaagic!"

Quote:

No. You just want to sound smart, so you may as well know what you're talking about when you do.
Old 11-23-2007   #39
petohtalrayn
fuck censorship

Quote:
Originally Said by chris
a medium: something or someone that can transcend the barrier of life and death through either direct or indirect means. basically im asking are you more of a mysticism/spirtualism or skeptic?
Skepticism and Mysticism walk hand in hand, after all, to understand and become one with all that is, you must first acknowledge that all that is, likely isn't.

Quote:
Originally Said by gin
No. You just want to sound smart, so you may as well know what you're talking about when you do.
Oh, well in that case, thanks for letting me know. Until you said something, I had no idea that christians thought jesus was the son of god. I mean I can't believe they didn't cover that back when I was in Catholic school, I guess they sort of just glazed over it. How did you find out this information? Do you have any sources that you can link me to so that I can further investigate this? Because it is truly news to me.

Jesus?

The son of the christian god?

Really?
Old 11-23-2007   #40
Jenn and tonic
"maaaaagic!"

You said 'prophet.' A prophet is different from the son of God.

So, first you didn't care whether you got it right or not, now you're bitching at me because you knew that in the first place. Make up your mind.

I'm just trying to help you sound knowledgeable here, but now that you clearly don't want help, I'll stop.