Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > Media Room > Art & Photography

Art & Photography Right-brained and shutterbug hangout. Post and discuss art and photographs, self-created or otherwise. Also show off your digital graphics, wallpapers, or desktops.

Old 09-20-2008   #1
Christian
Super Moderator

Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Christian
Christian's photography and stuff

Smoking Moose Detected!

Germany:
Biologists just discovered a smooking moose in Germany and are confused about his way of life and where he comes from. They are even wondering what he smokes and why it smells like pine-flavour and why he is wearing a christmas hat and a gift bag in the middle of september.

The biologists are observating the christmas-moose from a safe distance to not disturb him in his natural environment and are trying to find out what gifts the moose has in his bag... and if they had been good enough this year to get something nice.

They promissed us to keep us up-to-date, stay tuned!

(i minimised all pictures again, originial is 2000X1500)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg smoking_moose1_small.JPG (41.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg smoking_moose2_small.JPG (38.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg smoking_moose3_small.JPG (38.2 KB, 14 views)
Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008   #2
Christian
Super Moderator

Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Christian's photography and stuff

The hidden squirrel

squirrel1_small.JPG

I took that next to my institute, to bad it didn't wanted to stay at aone position for more then 3 seconds and decided to change its spot from bushes to tree's all the time.
My fellow students looked stranges as i decided to hunt that little guy to take a few photos..

this one is the best, its downscaled as usal.

Steamy..

steamy0_small.JPGsteamy1_small.JPGsteamy2_small.JPGsteamy3_small.JPG

Today It was a typical autoum day: everything gray in grey and raining all the time. Our local thermal power station (one of many here in Berlin) catched my eye and as longer as i was taking photos from it - i found my way through a local 'allotments'(?)- as more steamy it got.

Last edited by Christian; 09-23-2008 at 02:54 PM.
Old 09-26-2008   #3
Christian
Super Moderator

Two days ago had had too much time until i needed to go to my weekly training at the Federal Agency for Technical Relief (THW) so i decided to walk the whole way i normaly drive with bus. After approximately 40 minutes and on the half of my way i decided to get some food and to have a longer break for lunch in a bigger park i'm normaly just passing with the bus.

There i took a seat next to a little (man made) pond and took a few (many^^) photos later. I hoped for a few autumn pictures and maybe an other squirrel but wasn't that lucky.

duck1_small.JPGduck2_small.JPGP1010023_small.JPG

That female duck behaved like a queen, all the time little kids threw some bread to her she looked a bit into the sky and swam away. Therefore the male duck and the other bird where nice^^

spooky_small.JPG

spooky ;) to bad idiots tryed to burn the inner side of the tree.

And that poor guy is 'just sleeping' poor him..

just_sleeping_small.JPG
Old 09-29-2008   #4
Christian
Super Moderator

Here a few more picutres of the heron. Some other visitors of that little park told me, that he is coming every year to this palce since a very long time and just sits on his little isle the whole day.

To bad he was a bit too fast for me..

heron_small.JPGheron2_small.JPGheron3_small.JPGheron4_small.JPG

P1010002_small.JPG

That one i took at 6:00 in the morning, as i went to visit the making of of a live morning show. I like how 'industrie', houses and commercial thingies are next to each other in Berlin (and Europe).
Old 10-05-2008   #5
Christian
Super Moderator

A few more because i have so much fun:

mushroom1_small.JPGmushroom2_small.JPGmushroom3_small.JPG
first two had been taken as i where on a hike a few weeks ago, the last one on thursday in the biggest urban forrest(?) at Berlin. (more to go later)

sky1_small.JPG
a lovely colo(u)red sky, photographed out of my window

toofast_med.JPG
and a photo taken out of the window of on of our 'emergency-vehicles' in a tunnel as we went back from building up 16 large shower-tents for a marathon.

Here the 16 tents we needed to construct and deconstruct later at the day of the marathon. They are on the right in the first picture and on the left in second one.

marathon1_small.JPGmarathon2_small.JPG

You can also see in the background of the second picture the Federal Chancellery of Germany. I like the red trees, first signs of autumn ^^

P1010026_med.JPG
That is the car i'm driving on in my unit of the Federal Agency for Technical Relief (THW). Its old but not that old it may looks like... and its still better then all the new cars we have there (well, not in the end-speed^^). Today those cars will build in Iran only.. and are still prety good and solid. I so love that car.

evening_med.JPG
another colourfull evening taken at my chapter(?)

The last two photos where taken in the Grunewald, Berlins biggest urban forrest. In the background of the second picture the famous "Teufelsberg (directly translated: devilshill)" i to be seen with the old US radar listening facility on it.

lake2_med.JPGlake_med.JPG

Its a very interesting building and i took about 100 photos of it that day and will be posted later. To get a few good photos i needed to sneak/climb/crawl and break in the building and area with my friend.

Last edited by foxyphoenix; 10-05-2008 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Merged posts - User Requested
Old 10-18-2008   #6
Christian
Super Moderator

Now the promised pictures of the "Teufelsberg". The hill where the
former US spy radar-staton was located, is man made out of
remainings from bombed buildings of berlin at the second world
war.

I hiked with a freind to that hill, what is the highest point
in/at Berlin (114meter, 374foot). Its surrounded by woods (Berlins famous urban wood, called "Grunwald") and with the time, nature took over the
station. The rest was destroyed by humans, that sneaked inside to
have some fun or whatever so 2 Years of not securing the area had
been enough to make a ruin out of it.

At first my friend and me walked around, and as we found a hole in
the up to 3 fences that secure the area we decided to crawl
inside.

Later that day we got the information that it shall be still
guarded a bit, but we luckily didn't got spoted or even recognised
some activity on that area.

radar1_med.JPGAttachment 6123
From more far away.

radar2_med.JPGradar3_med.JPGradar4_med.JPG
Close up.

fence_med.JPG
The fences and how nature took over. There had been a 3rd fence behind them (would be left on the picture).

We decided to crawl through the 3 fences and to check the area and get a few photos. That was kinda scare, if we ever want to make a zombi-move, we have a location now.

inside1_med.JPGinside2_med.JPG
Inside of one of the side buldings, it was kinda dark and holes in the ground everywhere. Needed to light up the floors and rooms with my photo-flash from tiem to time.

inside3_med.JPGinside5_med.JPG
A collapsed elevator

inside4_med.JPG
Second floor (or 3rd in us counting) of the main radarbuilding with a view over west Berlin into eastern direction

After we made our way up through a dark stairway we arrived on the roof of the main building, where 2 of the blisters plus the big tower with another blister ontop are located. The 3rd one you see was ontop of a annexe(?)('sidebuilding').

The station had 5 of those at all, and the holes in the blisters made a sound like a train would pass you... and that all the time. The noice also had ben very loud as still had been outside of the fences.

roof1_med.JPGroof2_med.JPGroof3_med.JPGroof4_med.JPG
Photos from the roof.

main_med.JPG
The mainbuilding from below as we went back again.

I made the whole hike and adventure (and forced my friend to it^^) to get a "panoramic view" photo for the competition. was kinda funny^^

Last edited by foxyphoenix; 10-18-2008 at 09:38 PM. Reason: User-Requested
Old 10-18-2008   #7
Tala
iGor

Tala has a reputation beyond reputeTala has a reputation beyond reputeTala has a reputation beyond reputeTala has a reputation beyond reputeTala has a reputation beyond reputeTala has a reputation beyond reputeTala has a reputation beyond reputeTala has a reputation beyond reputeTala has a reputation beyond reputeTala has a reputation beyond reputeTala has a reputation beyond repute

Some of these are quite interesting perspectives! I really like the one of the crane taking flight. That's a picture I have tried (and failed) to successfully capture for a long time! Ausgezeichnet
Or spread out his whiskers, or cherish his pride?
~ T. S. Eliot
Tala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008   #8
Christian
Super Moderator

Hehe, thank you. Waited about an hour until he finaly gone into water for a few seconds so i was able to take such a photo. To bad he still was a bit too fast ;)

Last edited by Christian; 10-18-2008 at 08:22 PM.
Old 10-18-2008   #9
my.dragons.lady
happy heretic

my.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond repute

I like so many of these it's hard to pick a single favorite. I particularly like the tree, the 'industrie', houses and commercial thingies at sunrise and those of the radar building; perhaps because it reminds me of similar jaunts.

Nice work, Christian.

"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need." ~~ Cicero

"Let food be your medicine and medicine be your food." ~~ Hippocrates

"Trust, but verify." ~~ Damon Runyon * Said to me by Andy Stephenson of Hacking Democracy, in memory of and one account. Miss you much, Andy.
my.dragons.lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008   #10
Christian
Super Moderator

Last weekend i needed to go to fill up my fridge and decided to walk a longer indirect route to it. It was realy sunny and we had good weather, so hundreds of small planes flew around.

0_power1_med.JPG0_power2_med.JPG
Left: Find the 'combined heat and power station' ^^
Right: Old street leading into it surrounded be yellow trees. Too bad so much cars where parked there.

0_double1_med.JPG0_double3_med.JPG0_double4_med.JPG
On my way back, with my backpack full of food i wanted take a last photo, as a bibplane just flew along, directly into the setting sun.. "Flieger, grüß mir die Sonne.."

Autoum is on its final run now here in Germany, so i decided pay the park where i took so many photos before another visit.

1_berlin_med.JPG
Two days before i went to the park: Berlin downtown at famous "Bahnhof Zoo" (maybe know from the movie: "We Children from Bahnhof Zoo"). Even if it doesnt looks like it, but that photo was taken at noon. Looks kinda foggy.

1_autumn1_med.JPG1_autumn2_med.JPG1_autumn3_med.JPG
I like the autumn as longe he is colourful. It was cloudy the whole day, but the sun decided to come out as soon as i started to take photos and stached again as i've been done an hour later.
The tree on the 3rd picture looks like as he wasn't able to decide yet

1_mouse_med.JPG
I went back to the bench i used all the times before for a little lunch break. I found a new little friend there.She waited next to me nearly the whole time and let me take some photos, even very close up. Therefore i shared my meal with her.

1_duck1_med.JPG1_duck2_med.JPG
While eating, the ducks in the pond started to go crazy.. To bad the crane/heron already left. (not sure what it is, thinks its a heron..)

1_duck3_med.JPG
Uh.. He is just a bit tired of swiming..

I like colourful autumns..

1_trees1_med.JPG1_trees2_med.JPG1_trees2b_med.JPG1_trees3_med.JPG1_trees4_med.JPG
"Happy little trees.."

And a few more at one of the southern channels in Berlin i'm living at, close to the park i had been before.

1_channel2_med.JPG1_channel1_med.JPG1_channel3_med.JPG1_channel4_med.JPG

Last edited by Christian; 10-20-2008 at 01:48 AM.
Old 10-20-2008   #11
my.dragons.lady
happy heretic

my.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond repute

^ In the very first picture in the post above, what kind of tree is that? The one on the right that has leaves and branches only at the top?

And autumn there looks so much like here. Tomorrow will be rainy and the colors should be outstandingly vivid. I'm going to get Chris to help me get around to take pictures before all the leaves are down.

"Trust, but verify." ~~ Damon Runyon * Said to me by Andy Stephenson of Hacking Democracy, in memory of and one account. Miss you much, Andy.
Old 10-20-2008   #12
Christian
Super Moderator

I think its a spruce, someone just cropped the branches. It looked realy funny from more far away.

After my class (i need to go in a few minutes to) i will hike through the green centre of Berlin, the "Tiergarden" and see if i can take a few last photos. I think i have one more week for good photos and maybe 1 more untill most leaves fallen down... if the weather stays nice.
Old 10-20-2008   #13
my.dragons.lady
happy heretic

Yup. I imagine this week's rain will take care of most of the leaves, so I better take advantage of time between showers tomorrow. Then we'll have a few weeks of stragglers :.) I really enjoy watching leaves skip in the wind.

Old 10-20-2008   #14
Christian
Super Moderator

I just came back from my 'hike' through the green heart of Berlin and my feet are hurting terrible after the ~13km (8Miles) i left behind. Pictures from it will come soon, need to sort the 176 i took first ^^. I took mostly (stupid) tourist pictures and autumn ones, but the park didn't gave me what i wanted like the other one did.

Here five photos i took last friday as i went back from my university.

met_med.JPGvilla_med.JPG
The first one is a old watertower that is now for a long time used as part of my meteorological institution i study at. The second one is the "Villa-Anna" next to the watertower. Both where build from the same architect and the Villa was once owned for a few years by a famous (and by most/all meteoroloists hated) tv-weather-guy named "Kachelman" (grr...^^)

church_1_med.JPG
On the way down to my bus i took that picture of a chruch. Can't wait for winter, hope i'll get a better photo of it.

channel3b_med.JPGchannel4_med.JPG
I decided (again) to get out of my bus way earlier and walk a detour back home along the channel.
Old 10-21-2008   #15
Christian
Super Moderator

Here the pictures of my 'little' trip Yesterday. My class ended a bit before noon, so i decided to have a little hike trhough the "Tiergarden" in the middle of Berlin. Well.. the little hike became bigger and bigger and i finaly went home at 17:30.

church1_med.JPGchurch2_med.JPG
The first photos are showing the Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church, that got destroyed and never rebuilded in second world war to stay as a warning.
The right photo was taken at the begining of my tour, the left at the end.
(Point A on map)

swan1_med.JPGswan2_med.JPGswan3_med.JPG
Swans on a channel.

clouds1_med.JPGtrees1_med.JPGtrees2_med.JPGtrees3_med.JPGtrees4_med.JPG
"Happy little trees" and maybe the last colourful autumn photos this year

vic1_med.JPGvic2_med.JPGvic3_med.JPG
A bit later i arrived at the "Siegessäule" (victory column). (Point B on the map)

As i walked close to eat, i read a sign that there is a litte museum in it and that you can climb 285 steps (How many Denver capitol had again?) up to the top and have a view over the city. I didn't knew you can do that and so i forgone on the cheap dinner i wanted to buy somewhere later and paid the entrance for it.

view1_max.JPGview2_med.JPG
Here you can see over the eastern part of Berlin. You can see the 'Red Cityhall', 'Brandenburg Gate' ,'Berlin Dome', the 'Berlin TV Tower' and a few more.

view3_med.JPG
And the western view. You can see the the radar-station again.

trees6_med.JPGtrees7_med.JPG
I continued my way through the park..

town1_med.JPGtown2_med.JPG
..and came out at the new centre of Berlin, "Potsdamer Platz" (Point C on map). Hamana and Weasel had been there, as i picked them up to bring her to the giant rave/techno event called "Love Parade" (woa, that was so great, even with a terrible headache)

The sun slowly started to set

memorial1_med.JPGmemorial2_med.JPG
I continued my way and payd the Holocaust Memorial a visit. It is way bigger then it looks like and its kinda cold inside. The architect did a good job. (Point D on the map)

town4_med.JPG
Just for pittielynn: On the way to it i passed the canadian embassy

town3_med.JPG
..and a bit late the embassy of the states, located right behind the..

gate1_med.JPG
..'Brandenburg Gate' (Point E on the map)

I continued my way in the hope i can get some very cheap food, so i decided to walk to the station i normaly drive home from. There i found a 'Bratwurst-stand' and close to it i was able to catch..

crow1_med.JPGcrow2_med.JPG
..that crow siting on a car as someone feeded pigeons

reichstag_med.JPG
After spending my last 1.5€ i had on a Bratwurst i walked to the 'Reichstag' (point F)

memorial3_med.JPG
..and from there i also paid the russian war memorial for there fallen soldiers in the 2nd worldwar. (Note: That memorial is located in the western part of Berlin)

I could have used many subway and other stations to get back to my dorm, but i decided to end my trip where i started. My camera was nealry full and i already needed to delete a few double-photos as that view catched my eye:

vic4_med.JPG
The sun was already down as i took that photo in the middle of a street. I like the leaves that are flying around.

bird_med.JPG
I took that photo at one of the severall ponds earlyer that day, dont know what kind of bird that is. To bad he was too far away for a nice photo.

map3.JPG
My feet killed me the day, i walked ~13km (8 Miles) taht day trhough teh centre of Berlin. I guess i finaly need to buy me hiking shoes.. maybe if i am in the states again... Foxy.. we have a mission

Oh, and thank you Foxy for all the Merging

Last edited by foxyphoenix; 10-21-2008 at 02:48 PM. Reason: User-Requested
Old 10-21-2008   #16
my.dragons.lady
happy heretic

Really, really nice. I particularly like the black and white photo of the river.

Old 10-21-2008   #17
my.dragons.lady
happy heretic

^ A Bob Ross fan?

I just saved the 2nd pic (239kb) for my desktop background. Btw, it fits the 1280 x 768 display setting very nicely. Reminds me so much of the river flowing through Anderson's Japanese Gardens in Rockford, IL.

Old 10-21-2008   #18
Tala
iGor

Tala has a reputation beyond reputeTala has a reputation beyond reputeTala has a reputation beyond reputeTala has a reputation beyond reputeTala has a reputation beyond reputeTala has a reputation beyond reputeTala has a reputation beyond reputeTala has a reputation beyond reputeTala has a reputation beyond reputeTala has a reputation beyond reputeTala has a reputation beyond repute

*sigh* you're sending me down memory lane here. I've been to many of the monuments that you have taken pictures of! Even the Holocaust memorial. Though when I was in Germany, the WC was going on and there was a large soccer ball in front of the Brandenburg Gate. But otherwise, these are just as I remember them. Thanks for bringing back the memories

I really like a lot of your photography! I would agree with My.Dragons.Lady, the river shots are really nice! And the duck that got tired of swimming... yeah...

Please continue to post more!
Or spread out his whiskers, or cherish his pride?
~ T. S. Eliot
Tala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008   #19
my.dragons.lady
happy heretic

So many of these pictures remind me of the Chicago area. Especially the fall colors and triangle shaped buildings.

Yesterday I missed out on taking pictures as planned, but maybe tomorrow :.)

Also, in this pic, is that white sand on the ground?

Last edited by my.dragons.lady; 10-21-2008 at 03:31 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-21-2008   #20
foxyphoenix
Ubi dubium, ibi libertas.

foxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by Christian View Post
I guess i finally need to buy me hiking shoes.. maybe if i am in the states again... Foxy.. we have a mission

Oh, and thank you Foxy for all the Merging

Yes! Although if we repeat the canyon route, shoes are basically unnecessary.
No problem. =)

"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
-
Carl Sagan

"It is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."
-
Charles Darwin

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, man would die from a great loneliness of the spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected."
-
Chief Seattle

Almost Smart Store

foxyphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
christian, photography