Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > The Lounge > Science

Old 09-23-2010   #1
Madre
Double Plus Good Mod!

Madre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond repute
Go out and look at the moon, Almost Smartians!

http://www.cnn.com/2010/LIVING/09/22...ex.html?hpt=T2

(CNN) -- Tonight is the night of the Super Harvest Moon.

It's the last day of summer in the Northern Hemisphere, the beginning of the autumn season and it perfectly coincides with a full moon tonight. And it's the first time in almost 20 years that the stars have aligned for an event like this. (We fully acknowledge that the moon is not a star but it's not very often we get to use the phrase in such close context).

When the summer sun starts setting this evening, it will blend with the rising autumn moon to produce a unique "360-degree style" twilight. The two low-in-the-sky light sources mix together and illuminate the sky all around you, unlike than the typical one-at-a-time approach you see when you drive home from work. And it's from this extra twilight lighting that the Harvest Moon gained its place in the celestial calendar. With farmers depending on moonlight to harvest their crops they would note the autumnal full moon. Thus the phenomenon's name.

Be sure to take a good long look at the moon as it travels across the sky tonight, because you may notice that it looks a little different. According to NASA's Dr. Tony Phillips, you'll see the "moon illusion" at work. It will look abnormally large -- an optical illusion that comes about when the moon sits lower than usual in the sky.

It's not the first time that the moon has matched up to the calendar and created an event like this, but it's the closest. In fact, the time between the official autumnal equinox (11:09 p.m. September 22, according to Science@NASA) and the full illumination of the Harvest Moon is down to only a handful of hours -- just six. This is quite a drop considering that the full moon more commonly makes its full appearance days or weeks on either side of the equinox.

The closest its came to this in the past was September 23, 1991, but even then it was a 10-hour difference, and according to Science@NASA we won't see it like this again until the year 2029.

So be sure to take advantage of the extra hours of moonlight and cram in that extra harvest work, or maybe just enjoy the show; either way you should definitely take a look in the sky tonight.
III.IIVIVIXIIVIVIIIVVIIIIXVIIIXIIIIIIIIVIIIIVVIIIV IIVIIIIIIVIII - Solomon (I Kings 7:23)
Madre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010   #2
Zanahoria_Picante
Orange you glad she's not a banana?

Zanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Go out and look at the moon, Almost Smartians!

Sad. I just tried to look; it's cloudy here. <:(

..| |
.| | |
_____
\ love /-|
-\__/--|

"When I first read the dictionary, I thought it was a long poem about everything."
Steven Wright

;
Zanahoria_Picante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010   #3
Christian
Super Moderator

Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Christian

I did.. and I ended up being lost in the middle of nowhere and had to walk all the way back to Berlin.. in the cold.. barefoot.. through woods..
Darn village-bus-lines, that only drive till early afternoon.

My feet so hurt..

It was cool to see the sun sinking on one side while the moon rose on the other, though I didn't made out the promised 360° twilight-thingy. One side was dark, the other brighter. The moon in deed seemed to be larger.. a little bit at least.

(Couldn't get any better shot..)

Old 09-23-2010   #4
ablethevoice
Vintage Human

ablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to ablethevoice Send a message via Yahoo to ablethevoice

You got a better shot with whatever camera you used than I ever do with either one of our digitals. All I can come up with are bright blobs with absolutely no detail.

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

"The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits." —Albert Einstein

“It's fortunate for governments that people don't think." - Adolph Hitler

Sturkis akidit ("shit happens") - Latin

Bent Ears Audio Laboratories - Better Music Through Chemistry

MUSIC IS LIKE CANDY. IT'S ONLY GOOD WHEN YOU GET RID OF ALL THE RAPPERS.
))#####D~~~~ (_l_)
ablethevoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010   #5
oceandream130
Future star of a Zach Braff film!

oceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond repute

I was so sad to have missed it :( It was cloudy here the whole time. I did see a little hint of it last night and it was absolutely stunning.

Happy belated Mid-Autumn Festival everyone! Here's some mooncakes to celebrate :D