Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > The Lounge > Guys & Gals

Guys & Gals Girls + Guys, Relationships, Dating, Sex, Babe threads, etc...

View Poll Results: Whats your preference in age difference (in perspective to your age)?
Just a few years older (1-5 years), but not any younger 7 23.33%
A few years younger, but not any older 3 10.00%
A few years in either direction 7 23.33%
A lot older(+5 years), but not really any younger 4 13.33%
A lot younger, but not any older 1 3.33%
A lot in either direction 1 3.33%
Other 7 23.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-12-2008   #1
The-Chadster
truth is more important than facts

The-Chadster is an Almost Smart godThe-Chadster is an Almost Smart godThe-Chadster is an Almost Smart godThe-Chadster is an Almost Smart godThe-Chadster is an Almost Smart godThe-Chadster is an Almost Smart godThe-Chadster is an Almost Smart godThe-Chadster is an Almost Smart godThe-Chadster is an Almost Smart godThe-Chadster is an Almost Smart godThe-Chadster is an Almost Smart god
Age Difference in significant other

Could you see yourself with someone much older than you? How about a lot younger? Or maybe you want someone closer to your age.
John 8:28 Then Jesus said unto them, When ye lifted up the Son of man, then yee shall know that I am He, and that I do nothing of myself; but as my Father hath taught me, I speak these things.
Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

So clap your hands to the sound
Of every first born dying now
Watch the rivers flow with blood
Death will stand where life once stood
The-Chadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008   #2
Funk*Sonic*7
Im super cereal!

Location: Randomly by chance out of nowhere, b/c that's more plausible
Funk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Age Difference in significant other

This thread is definitely a re-hash, but hey w/e...it's all good! I like this topic, because it still amazes me how people make such a big deal about this. Everybody has a problem with all the forms of discrimination out there, yet most people seem to have no problem with age discrimination? Funny how that works. I'm very bemused by this particular double standard and hypocrisy.

I have dated women my age, older women, younger women...this really shouldn't be an issue as much as people make it out to be...if at all. I'm 34 now. When I was 17, I dated a 32 year old woman for almost a year. When I was in my mid 20's, I dated 18 year olds, 20 year olds, 30 year olds, and even a woman who was 43 at the time. Along with women my age, I also dated a couple different women who were 19 years of age within the past 3-4 years. It's all good, and even if the roles were reversed.

Only in theory, "maturity level" is directly correlated with age and life experience. There are many people who just have good instincts, common sense, and direction, a lot earlier in their lives than a lot of people would believe, or would like to believe. Just like a 50 year old woman or man can be extremely immature and narrow-minded, young doesn't always automatically mean that a person is lacking worldly experience, sophistication, and understanding. And a person should not mistaken innocent charm for a lack of maturity and life experience either. There are way too many unique personalities, situations, and circumstances to consider anyways. Only the people who believe in those "one size fits all" theories are the ones who are truly naive, immature, and ignorant themselves. Oh, and it also shows that you basically have been brainwashed and can't think for yourself, if you have bought into these "pigeon hole" theories.

If the relationship works for you, then it's all good. Our busy/hectic lives and the media are constantly pushing paranoia down our throats and into our subconscious, and have made it very difficult nowadays (more than ever before) to find that right person/special somebody. That person that you really genuinely click with, compliment each other's strengths and weaknesses, and enjoy each other's company. We can all learn something from one another regardless of age difference. People shouldn't discriminate, insult, judge, or assume the worse. That's just plain mean-spirited ignorance on their part. And being judgmental, insulting somebody's character, and just plain mean-spirited is NOT an opinion. It is what it is...it's simply IGNORANCE, being naive, immature, lacking worldly experience, and childish themselves.

As long as you have the core things in common such as your goals, expectations in life, as well as your values and standards, then both are capable of communicating effectively and knowing how to meet half way and/or compromise on all the things such as the liking the same movies, music, hobbies, activities, and most importantly, the differences and gaps you may have when it comes to life experience...all that stuff can be worked through.
"God is the shaper of your heart. God does not display his work in abstract terms. He prefers the concrete, and this means that at the end of your life one of three things will happen to your heart: it will grow hard, it will be broken, or it will be tender. Nobody escapes." - Ravi Zacharias

Last edited by funksonic7; 01-12-2008 at 04:09 PM.
Funk*Sonic*7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008   #3
foxyphoenix
Ubi dubium, ibi libertas.

foxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond repute

At this point in my life (I am 18, for those of you too lazy to look slightly to the left) I would say I am willing to date older, but not so much younger. I know I have changed immensely since graduating high school, moving out, starting college, etc... I look back at how I was just last year and am surprised at my immaturity. I just don't think I could date somebody who was still in high school, living full time with their parents, not working, etc, because we would not have gone through similar life experiences yet. I think those similarities are essential for a strong relationship.
Granted my relationship track record isn't the greatest (read: total suck), but I just can't picture myself happy now with somebody in what I consider to be a previous life step than I am. I mean, my little brother is now in high school... I look at him and see a baby, a little kid. No offense meant to the high schoolers among us, but so much changes after graduation.
When I am older, though, I could definitely see that changing; a 25-year-old is pretty much in the same step as a 21-year-old or a 29-year-old... so at that point my vote would be "a few years in either direction" rather than "a few years older, but not any younger."

"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
-
Carl Sagan

"It is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."
-
Charles Darwin

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, man would die from a great loneliness of the spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected."
-
Chief Seattle

Almost Smart Store

foxyphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008   #4
psychoDiablo
Thx for the memories

psychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to psychoDiablo Send a message via Yahoo to psychoDiablo

older.

18 cuz she's 18 but i dont want to talk to her.

21 +

To chill is to be chillin.
Chillin is cooperating with your surroundings, unknowing'st of what everything is capable of; and all the while, as it happens and after, to accept without any thought of good or bad, but mainly, just enjoying rather deeply, the moment you had to sit and think. (Not thinking.)

|-Mr.MCR-|

Will you write
Will you love
Will you enjoy
Life when I am gone?
You will.
by Angelina

"I have lived life as horrible as it was, and as beautiful as it has become."
psychoDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008   #5
tynie
You're Klaus Nomi, I'm Etta James

tynie has a reputation beyond reputetynie has a reputation beyond reputetynie has a reputation beyond reputetynie has a reputation beyond reputetynie has a reputation beyond reputetynie has a reputation beyond reputetynie has a reputation beyond reputetynie has a reputation beyond reputetynie has a reputation beyond reputetynie has a reputation beyond reputetynie has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to tynie Send a message via MSN to tynie Send a message via Yahoo to tynie

anyone older.

i prefer older. much.
What I want is to be needed. What I need is to be indispensable to somebody. Who I need is somebody that will eat up all my free time, my ego, my attention. Somebody addicted to me. A mutual addiction.-Choke, Chuck Palahniuk
tynie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008   #6
Pittielynn
sweet, funny and down-right CUTE!

Pittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond repute

I prefer someone my own age, usually but they have to be mature for their age. I can't stand immature "men".

But, in my opinion, I don't believe that someone out of high school should date someone in high school, because they make for difficult relationships, and the maturity level is so much different. I would never date someone in high school now, it's just weird since they don't understand what the real world is, and their lives are centered around their high-school drama.
Thats just what I think anyway, if you like the young and naive types, all the power to you...

"Be strong while it's hard and laugh at it after it's over. You just gotta live." - Spadetje

All along I believed I would find you.
Time has brought your heart to me,
I have loved you for a thousand years.
I'll love you for a thousand more...
...One step closer.
o.O♠O.o

Almost Smart Store
Almost Smart Arcade
Pittielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008   #7
Drogdar
The one and only.

Drogdar has a reputation beyond reputeDrogdar has a reputation beyond reputeDrogdar has a reputation beyond reputeDrogdar has a reputation beyond reputeDrogdar has a reputation beyond reputeDrogdar has a reputation beyond reputeDrogdar has a reputation beyond reputeDrogdar has a reputation beyond reputeDrogdar has a reputation beyond reputeDrogdar has a reputation beyond reputeDrogdar has a reputation beyond repute

I can see my self dating anyone around my age group (im 18)... but only a year or so in either directions...

Quote:
Originally Said by foxy View Post
...@ @...
...( _ )...
(\( ... )/)
m mm m

OBEY HYPNOTOAD
Quote:
Originally Said by YouKnowWhoYouAre
Ah well, she knows she's a bitch.
Drogdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008   #8
Funk*Sonic*7
Im super cereal!

Location: Randomly by chance out of nowhere, b/c that's more plausible
Funk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond repute

If you have never dated a much older or younger woman or man, then of course you can't see yourself doing that. Most people can't see themselves doing something that they have never done before, until they actually do it.

I notice that a lot of people can be really close minded and judgmental about it (not saying that YOU are Drogdar), which is very easy to do when most have never been in that type of relationship. So you just focus on all the bad things that you hear about, and just make assumptions. I will tell you this much though. Every man and woman (ESPECIALLY WOMEN) that I have known or talked to that is or has been in a relationship with an older person, have told me that that is what they prefer from that point on.
"God is the shaper of your heart. God does not display his work in abstract terms. He prefers the concrete, and this means that at the end of your life one of three things will happen to your heart: it will grow hard, it will be broken, or it will be tender. Nobody escapes." - Ravi Zacharias

Last edited by funksonic7; 01-12-2008 at 10:16 PM.
Funk*Sonic*7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008   #9
casandra
I'm not bad, I'm just drawn that way..

casandra has a reputation beyond reputecasandra has a reputation beyond reputecasandra has a reputation beyond reputecasandra has a reputation beyond reputecasandra has a reputation beyond reputecasandra has a reputation beyond reputecasandra has a reputation beyond reputecasandra has a reputation beyond reputecasandra has a reputation beyond reputecasandra has a reputation beyond reputecasandra has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to casandra

the youngest person i've ever dated, or had any romantic involvement with was 21. i've been dating since i was 15. i've had three boyfriends, all older..all really great relationships.

alot of my friends (18-19 year old females) who date people thier age, or younger..usually end up having dramatic jealousy issues. that's not for me.
casandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008   #10
HolokittyNX
Banned

Location: Southern California, but I might move back to Earth one day.
HolokittyNX has a reputation beyond reputeHolokittyNX has a reputation beyond reputeHolokittyNX has a reputation beyond reputeHolokittyNX has a reputation beyond reputeHolokittyNX has a reputation beyond reputeHolokittyNX has a reputation beyond reputeHolokittyNX has a reputation beyond reputeHolokittyNX has a reputation beyond reputeHolokittyNX has a reputation beyond reputeHolokittyNX has a reputation beyond reputeHolokittyNX has a reputation beyond repute

*just giggles*
HolokittyNX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008   #11
tynie
You're Klaus Nomi, I'm Etta James

tynie has a reputation beyond reputetynie has a reputation beyond reputetynie has a reputation beyond reputetynie has a reputation beyond reputetynie has a reputation beyond reputetynie has a reputation beyond reputetynie has a reputation beyond reputetynie has a reputation beyond reputetynie has a reputation beyond reputetynie has a reputation beyond reputetynie has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to tynie Send a message via MSN to tynie Send a message via Yahoo to tynie

Quote:
Originally Said by HolokittyNX View Post
*just giggles*
i KNEW you were still around.
What I want is to be needed. What I need is to be indispensable to somebody. Who I need is somebody that will eat up all my free time, my ego, my attention. Somebody addicted to me. A mutual addiction.-Choke, Chuck Palahniuk
tynie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008   #12
Drogdar
The one and only.

Drogdar has a reputation beyond reputeDrogdar has a reputation beyond reputeDrogdar has a reputation beyond reputeDrogdar has a reputation beyond reputeDrogdar has a reputation beyond reputeDrogdar has a reputation beyond reputeDrogdar has a reputation beyond reputeDrogdar has a reputation beyond reputeDrogdar has a reputation beyond reputeDrogdar has a reputation beyond reputeDrogdar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by funksonic7 View Post
If you have never dated a much older or younger woman or man, then of course you can't see yourself doing that. Most people can't see themselves doing something that they have never done before, until they actually do it.

I notice that a lot of people can be really close minded and judgmental about that whole thing (not saying that YOU are Drogdar), which is very easy to do when most have never been in that type of relationship. So you just focus on all the bad things that you hear and just make an assumption. I will tell you this much though. Every man and woman (ESPECIALLY WOMEN) that I have known or talked that is or has been in a relationship with an older person have told me that that is what they prefer from that point on.

Its not that I wouldnt try it... I dunno it just seems like I have more in common with someone closer to the same age... and anyone younger than 16 (well... actually 17 ) just seems like a child... Now that I think about it... all of the people I have dated have been older... not a lot older... just a few months or, my first, was two years older than me....

but then again... maybe I am closed minded

Quote:
Originally Said by foxy View Post
...@ @...
...( _ )...
(\( ... )/)
m mm m

OBEY HYPNOTOAD
Quote:
Originally Said by YouKnowWhoYouAre
Ah well, she knows she's a bitch.
Drogdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008   #13
tyciol
Newbie Member

tyciol is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Said by The-Chadster View Post
Could you see yourself with someone much older than you? How about a lot younger? Or maybe you want someone closer to your age.
Yes, I could, in all 3 cases. I don't really want anything in particular.
tyciol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008   #14
miss kb
Taken (=P)

miss kb will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to miss kb

i prefer to date guys that are older than me...but not too much older, maybe a couple years difference.

"Love is the triumph of imagination over intelligence." -Henry Louis Mencken
"The person who writes for fools is always sure of a large audience."
-Arthur Schopenhauer
"Always forgive your enemies -- Nothing annoys them so much."
-Oscar Wilde
miss kb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008   #15
neomp5
Dipshit for life!

neomp5 is an Almost Smart godneomp5 is an Almost Smart godneomp5 is an Almost Smart godneomp5 is an Almost Smart godneomp5 is an Almost Smart godneomp5 is an Almost Smart godneomp5 is an Almost Smart godneomp5 is an Almost Smart godneomp5 is an Almost Smart godneomp5 is an Almost Smart godneomp5 is an Almost Smart god

my advice is, as always the same

don't.

"love" doesn't exist.

"Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a god; because if there be one he must approve of the homage of reason more than that of blindfolded fear." -Thomas Jefferson

"A belief is not merely an idea the mind possesses; it is an idea that possesses the mind." -Robert Bolt

"To teach how to live without certainty and yet without being paralysed by hesitation is perhaps the chief thing that philosophy, in our age, can do for those who study it." -Bertrand Russell
neomp5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008   #16
blackheart
Miss Rosemary

blackheart has a reputation beyond reputeblackheart has a reputation beyond reputeblackheart has a reputation beyond reputeblackheart has a reputation beyond reputeblackheart has a reputation beyond reputeblackheart has a reputation beyond reputeblackheart has a reputation beyond reputeblackheart has a reputation beyond reputeblackheart has a reputation beyond reputeblackheart has a reputation beyond reputeblackheart has a reputation beyond repute

i prefer older guys generally but i wouldnt say no to someone younger. id date someone thats a hell of a lot older than me though, i probably wouldnt go more than a few years younger.
blackheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008   #17
lobster
Newbie Member

lobster is an unknown quantity at this point

A lot younger...LOT younger.

I like laughter, craziness, and someone who appreciates being spoiled at times. And of course......major cuteness!
lobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008   #18
Bamcubz
WIFE - MOM - ME

Bamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond repute

Tom who is 3 yrs older than me is the only man I ever dated (now married to) that was older than me. Youngest guy was 8 years difference.

At the beach, life passes differently. Time does not pass by the hours but by the moments and moods.
Bamcubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008   #19
Nami
Tome Traveler

Nami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond repute

I recently dated someone who is about 5 years older than I am. I find that age doesn't matter for maturity. The boy is childish.
Quote:
Originally Said by lobster View Post

I like laughter, craziness, and someone who appreciates being spoiled at times. And of course......major cuteness!
Does your profile accurately reflect your age, sir?

Nami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008   #20
EmperorChaos
Ruin you like this website.

Location: Charleston, South Carolina, United States, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster
EmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to EmperorChaos Send a message via AIM to EmperorChaos Send a message via MSN to EmperorChaos Send a message via Yahoo to EmperorChaos

Quote:
Originally Said by lobster View Post

Hmm... a puppy then?
Yeah... get a puppy.

Err, puppies don't really laugh, do they? Hmm... you go to Bangkok often? Sudan is also in the trade biz.
The first thing that came into being, void and without form, a lifeless lump, unfashioned and unframed, the Prima Materia from which all comes, influenced by forms and given structure by matter it becomes all that is, with increase in entropy it is into which all shall fall, endlessly and in all directions, a self-reflexive paradox.
-=-=-=-
"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." -Isaac Asimov

Last edited by Emperor Chaos; 01-21-2008 at 11:53 PM.
EmperorChaos is offline   Reply With Quote