Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > The Lounge > Jokes & Comedy

Jokes & Comedy Funny stuff.

Old 11-10-2008   #1
Brisa
The Missing Linx

Brisa is divineBrisa is divineBrisa is divineBrisa is divineBrisa is divineBrisa is divineBrisa is divineBrisa is divineBrisa is divineBrisa is divine
Send a message via MSN to Brisa Send a message via Skype™ to Brisa
Just a question....

Does anyone find it funny that when... They have $50. And they see one Item they want a lot, but then look at the price $39.99. And go well.... I'll wait.
And then they go to a store or go to the food court and have no problem forking a $20 bill over just to chow down on food, and ignoring the Item they wanted......

Or is this just me and the majority of my friends.
Lmao.
Brisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008   #2
Demonica
Hormonal for life!

Demonica has a reputation beyond reputeDemonica has a reputation beyond reputeDemonica has a reputation beyond reputeDemonica has a reputation beyond reputeDemonica has a reputation beyond reputeDemonica has a reputation beyond reputeDemonica has a reputation beyond reputeDemonica has a reputation beyond reputeDemonica has a reputation beyond reputeDemonica has a reputation beyond reputeDemonica has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Demonica Send a message via Skype™ to Demonica
Re: Just a question....

Maturity plays a role in that. If it was me, and all I had to my name was $50, I wouldn't have bought either of the two. I would have taken the money, bought some ramen, and saved the rest for hard times. That would have been the mature/responsible thing to do.

Well, She is!
Demonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008   #3
GoddessDivine
I move the stars for no one.

GoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to GoddessDivine Send a message via Skype™ to GoddessDivine

^I agree, spending $20 on food when all i had to my name was 50...not a good idea. You can get better and cheaper food from the grocery store, or save the money and eat at your parents, lol
-Obi Wan

GoddessDivine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008   #4
Tala
iGor

Tala has a reputation beyond reputeTala has a reputation beyond reputeTala has a reputation beyond reputeTala has a reputation beyond reputeTala has a reputation beyond reputeTala has a reputation beyond reputeTala has a reputation beyond reputeTala has a reputation beyond reputeTala has a reputation beyond reputeTala has a reputation beyond reputeTala has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's likely because food is a necessity while the other desired thing is not. It is easy to rationalize spending money on something you need, because the purchase must come at some point or another. Whether you spend the $20 here for food, or $15 at another place, the money will still be spent. Perhaps that makes the idea of spending for food easier. Also, food gives comfort and security, which is something that many people want when they spend their money. *shrug* I guess people just don't think about food spending as much as "fun" spending.

Very interesting observation, though! I had never noticed that before...
Or spread out his whiskers, or cherish his pride?
~ T. S. Eliot
Tala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008   #5
foxyphoenix
Ubi dubium, ibi libertas.

foxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond repute

I keep my money away so that I will not be tempted to spend it, but I never spend above $10 for a meal (and drink, etc) unless I'm out for an occasion. The village near me has tons of mom-and-pop-shops that have delicious food for a college student's budget.

That being said, I tend to spend my money in large amounts after saving it for a while, but the benefit of this is that I contemplate my purchases for several months and have been happy with every single one of them afterward. These include two cameras (a few years apart), a laptop, and (soon... I am still in the contemplation phase) a new external hard drive.

None of this $50 crap. I save up about $500 a month, about $100 per month of which will go to school books for next semester. Other than that, it just sits in my bank account.

"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
-
Carl Sagan

"It is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."
-
Charles Darwin

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, man would die from a great loneliness of the spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected."
-
Chief Seattle

Almost Smart Store

foxyphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008   #6
Jugband
Andrew's spokesman

Jugband has a reputation beyond reputeJugband has a reputation beyond reputeJugband has a reputation beyond reputeJugband has a reputation beyond reputeJugband has a reputation beyond reputeJugband has a reputation beyond reputeJugband has a reputation beyond reputeJugband has a reputation beyond reputeJugband has a reputation beyond reputeJugband has a reputation beyond reputeJugband has a reputation beyond repute

I miss the village sometimes, lol.

and on topic...I generally spend most of my money on food. It's comforting, really. But I usually don't pay more than like 9 or 10 for a meal, unless I'm out for an occasion, like foxy said. Meh.
And there's a trader joe's next to my apartment,.....soooooo I don't have to buy expensive junk food.

Jugband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008   #7
Thoughtcrime
I grew up to be black.

Thoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond repute

Here's what I find funny. People wait in line for 6 or 7 minutes, then when it's their turn, they do not have absolutely any idea what movie they want to see. Not only do they not have absolutely any idea what movie they want to see, but they also don't appear to know what movies are out. It's of dire importance to know when certain movies will be released, even though I can't see how that would impact the decision of what movie they wanted to see right then. They want to know the exact play time for each movie. The entire cast. Who directed it. They are unfamiliar with the rating system. Suddenly the distinction between a matinee price and an evening price is very important, even though it's been evening for two hours. They want a full synopsis of each movie, and it's unacceptable if I talk too fast. They want to know what other movies Samuel L. Jackson has been in lately. Three recent movies isn't enough, in fact they need his entire biography.

And the phone is ringing, ringing
Old 11-11-2008   #8
Yugoloth
-----

Yugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Yugoloth

Sounds like you work at a movie theater. Big mistake.

Back on topic, I tend to follow my father's two simple money rules:

#1: It's just chips. You'll make it back.

#2: Die broke.
Yugoloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008   #9
ablethevoice
Vintage Human

ablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to ablethevoice Send a message via Yahoo to ablethevoice

My view on fast food: If you want to commit suicide, and be broke at the same time, there are faster and easier ways of using $50 to do it. Buy a gun.

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

"The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits." —Albert Einstein

“It's fortunate for governments that people don't think." - Adolph Hitler

Sturkis akidit ("shit happens") - Latin

Bent Ears Audio Laboratories - Better Music Through Chemistry

MUSIC IS LIKE CANDY. IT'S ONLY GOOD WHEN YOU GET RID OF ALL THE RAPPERS.
))#####D~~~~ (_l_)
ablethevoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008   #10
Mr. Definistrate
I'm a magic man

Mr. Definistrate has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Definistrate has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Definistrate has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Definistrate has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Definistrate has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Definistrate has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Definistrate has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Definistrate has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Definistrate has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Definistrate has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Definistrate has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by Yugoloth View Post
Sounds like you work at a movie theater. Big mistake.

Back on topic, I tend to follow my father's two simple money rules:

#1: It's just chips. You'll make it back.

#2: Die broke.
Why is it a mistake to work at a theatre?

Save the 50 dollars every time and then only spend the interest if you can. Life seems to work better that way.

"There is, after all, more social justice in a loaf of bread than in schemes for a fairer distribution of wealth. Putting it another way . . . Adam Smith, however unfashionable, can feed more people than Karl Marx can."
--Forbes article on Food crisis in India

Quote:
Originally Said by Zanahoria_Picante View Post
Little Jimmy: (Tries to pour cereal from box; nothing comes out) "Nothing...for breakfast?"
Announcer: "That's right, little Jimmy! Nihilistic Crunch comes with a little nothing in every box!"
Little Jimmy: "Gee wiz, Mister! Won't I be hungry for the rest of the day?"
Announcer: "Well, Jimmy, that's the cost of keepin' it real."
Little Jimmy: (looks downcast)
Announcer: "Nihilistic Crunch: Now utterly devoid of swirls!"
Mr. Definistrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008   #11
Pittielynn
sweet, funny and down-right CUTE!

Pittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond repute

I find any place that sells movies can be hell on earth. people at the theaters that mudpuppet mentioned do all that crap, and then when they are late for their movie, they treat you like crap and make a mess in the theater, and piss everyone off. Its rediculous. They put all the synopsis' online for people like them! I never go to the movies without taking a moment to look at the cast, playing times, etc, because I don't want to go all the way to the theaters just to end up being disappointed with whats playing.

It's bad at video stores too. People lie about their late fees ALL THE TIME, swearing it wasn't them....they ave never heard of that movie before, their jerk brother uses their account because he has so many late fees...

They bother you ALL THE TIME about scratched up movies. (Which the employees all have to check before and after they rent out the movies - your chances of getting one that can't be played are slim, so if it has a massive finger print on it, chances are, it's YOURS)

Also, customers LOVE to try and come in the store ten seconds before closing time, and scream at you if you try not to let them in.....

"Be strong while it's hard and laugh at it after it's over. You just gotta live." - Spadetje

All along I believed I would find you.
Time has brought your heart to me,
I have loved you for a thousand years.
I'll love you for a thousand more...
...One step closer.
•°o.O♠O.o°•

Almost Smart Store
Almost Smart Arcade
Pittielynn is offline   Reply With Quote