Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > The Lounge > Science

Old 12-06-2011   #1
Pittielynn
sweet, funny and down-right CUTE!

Pittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond repute
NASA's Kepler Mission Confirms Its First Planet in Habitable Zone of Sun-like Star

This one's for you, Ablethevoice.

Quote:

NASA's Kepler mission has confirmed its first planet in the "habitable zone," the region where liquid water could exist on a planets surface. Kepler also has discovered more than 1,000 new planet candidates, nearly doubling its previously known count. Ten of these candidates are near-Earth-size and orbit in the habitable zone of their host star. Candidates require follow-up observations to verify they are actual planets.

The newly confirmed planet, Kepler-22b, is the smallest yet found to orbit in the middle of the habitable zone of a star similar to our sun. The planet is about 2.4 times the radius of Earth. Scientists don't yet know if Kepler-22b has a predominantly rocky, gaseous or liquid composition, but its discovery is a step closer to finding Earth-like planets.

Previous research hinted at the existence of near-Earth-size planets in habitable zones, but clear confirmation proved elusive. Two other small planets orbiting stars smaller and cooler than our sun recently were confirmed on the very edges of the habitable zone, with orbits more closely resembling those of Venus and Mars.

"This is a major milestone on the road to finding Earth's twin," said Douglas Hudgins, Kepler program scientist at NASA Headquarters in Washington. "Kepler's results continue to demonstrate the importance of NASA's science missions, which aim to answer some of the biggest questions about our place in the universe."

Read the rest here!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NEW PLANET.jpg (4.6 KB, 2 views)

"Be strong while it's hard and laugh at it after it's over. You just gotta live." - Spadetje

All along I believed I would find you.
Time has brought your heart to me,
I have loved you for a thousand years.
I'll love you for a thousand more...
...One step closer.
o.O♠O.o

Almost Smart Store
Almost Smart Arcade
Pittielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011   #2
Christian
Super Moderator

Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Christian
Re: NASA's Kepler Mission Confirms Its First Planet in Habitable Zone of Sun-like Sta

^ That's fascinating! I'm claiming an island for my own!
Old 12-20-2011   #3
Pittielynn

Pittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond repute
Re: NASA's Kepler Mission Confirms Its First Planet in Habitable Zone of Sun-like Sta

Haha that's not a bad idea. :)

"Be strong while it's hard and laugh at it after it's over. You just gotta live." - Spadetje

...One step closer.
o.O♠O.o

Almost Smart Store
Almost Smart Arcade
Old 12-20-2011   #4
Christian
Super Moderator

Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute

Oh.. and I want a sea-narrow, I'll call it the "New Christian Sound" ^_^
Old 12-21-2011   #5
Pittielynn

I claim anything built be their ancient people. Maybe they teleported Atlantis there..... I claim Atlantis!

...One step closer.
o.O♠O.o

Almost Smart Store
Almost Smart Arcade
Old 12-21-2011   #6
Christian
Super Moderator

Oh darn! I wanted Atlantis too.. damn it. Would you allow me to visit it every now and then?
Old 12-23-2011   #7
Pittielynn

Absolutely. Be sure to bring a snorkle!

...One step closer.
o.O♠O.o

Almost Smart Store
Almost Smart Arcade