Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > The Lounge > Science

Old 02-28-2013   #1
Savage_Nature
I love my brother.

Savage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond repute
Brain to Brain Communication

If you want to read about how scientists have got rats to talk back and forth through brainwaves click this.

If you came here expecting boobs click here.

Savage_Nature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013   #2
hai Jay
Time for breakfast!!!

hai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Brain to Brain Communication

RED FLAG

lack of adequate controls - "methodological flaws"

what if they hadn't pried these animals' brains open and still paired them up to see if they could figure it out?

I have owned mice. In pairs, for example. And in 3s, 4s. Those little fuckers - not even the rats but just "feeder mice" used as food for other animals at pet depot, petco.

They (different sets at different times) learn to escape. they did and constantly rearrange their surroundings. Blah they are just smart little creatures that work together anyway.
Old 03-01-2013   #3
Savage_Nature
I love my brother.

Savage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond repute

Could be yeah. I prefer to think that in another 20 years my friend will telepathically tell me there's a hot chick to my three o'clock - instead of practically shouting "DUDE! TO YOUR RIGHT!!" causing everyone within 20 feet to stare at us and me to mentally facepalm at the lack of discretion.

Although a hive mind animal causes me to consider the movie "The Birds" in a more literal sense. Or at the least something to that effect. For any Warhammer players think Tyranids.

Old 03-02-2013   #4
hai Jay
Time for breakfast!!!

hai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond repute

read "Factoring Humanity" by Robert J. Sawyer...or just wiki the book plot. lol I've been thinking of this book from the first time I saw this thread.
Old 03-02-2013   #5
Savage_Nature
I love my brother.

Interesting fo sho. Seems like a good read.

It's astonishing how little we know about the base things around us. Sure we understand the heart beats pumping blood and the lungs give oxygen to blood to distribute blah blah blah. We understand there is different species. We understand a lot of stuff yet it's still miniscule in comparison to what there is to know. We don't understand the universe, the Earth, our brain, consciousness. Hmmmm. This could get deep.

Say the human race knew everything there was to know with certainty, we had just placed the final piece of the puzzle that is everything together and everything fits all pretty and neat.Then what? Is such a thing even possible? Perhaps there is too many variables to consider at any given point to know with certainty how things work. Or maybe it is just that - we can't know how everything is with certainty because nothing is certain.

Dun dun dun.

Old 03-02-2013   #6
hai Jay
Time for breakfast!!!

nothing is certain because things always change. that's their nature.

i do think we would know more though of all the different schools of thought put their minds together, but that's not how it works in the research field.
Old 03-02-2013   #7
Savage_Nature
I love my brother.

And when you get into the field of quantum mechanics certainty is instead probability. It has been proven as fact that a small partical is technically in all possible places at once until a measurement is taken - forcing it to be in a set location. Also the particles making up what we term solids at the atomic level act like waves instead. It's good stuff.

All this being said - nothing is certain, only probable. Life is awesome.

Old 03-02-2013   #8
hai Jay
Time for breakfast!!!

yup yup. quantum mechanics confuses me though. i guess because i'm a very visual person but only see it in books or articles and never actually learned about it.
Old 03-03-2013   #9
Savage_Nature
I love my brother.

If you think about it in a conventional sense it is impossible and thus makes no sense and seems.... well impossible. I remember reading a quote something along the lines of

"If quantum mechanics seems logical to you, it's likely you don't understand it."

I mean the basic summary is solids are liquids (waves and not structured) and everything possible is reality at all times until you look at it, and then it is only one version of that reality; however, you can never expect the same result from the same measurement as it is only probable and not definate that the result will be as you expect. Also - certain particles are connected, with no discernable evidence to support that they are connected except that when we measure the spin of one it is a 100% certainty that the other particle is spinning the opposite direction. The distance between the particles is irrelevant. One can be on the moon and the other on the Earth and the spins will be relative. Einstein called it "spooky action at a distance"