Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > The Lounge > Science

Old 06-21-2010   #1
ablethevoice
Vintage Human

ablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to ablethevoice Send a message via Yahoo to ablethevoice
Interesting advances in computer technology

Instead of posting a separate thread for all these news stories, I figured one thread would do it just fine.

First, this article about new advances in solid-state memory...

And scientists are closing in on a terahertz speed chip...

Finally, an Australian research facility comes even closer to quantum computing.

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

"The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits." —Albert Einstein

“It's fortunate for governments that people don't think." - Adolph Hitler

Sturkis akidit ("shit happens") - Latin

Bent Ears Audio Laboratories - Better Music Through Chemistry

MUSIC IS LIKE CANDY. IT'S ONLY GOOD WHEN YOU GET RID OF ALL THE RAPPERS.
))#####D~~~~ (_l_)
ablethevoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010   #2
Yugoloth
-----

Yugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Yugoloth
Re: Interesting advances in computer technology

My roommate works on the THz transistor project. They have a design that's supposed to hit 1 THz, and he actually fabricates them.

Also lol at the quantum computer scientist - "You'll be able to solve problems that would take longer than the life of the universe with a classical computer". Haw. Still holding our breath. Physicists. She needs an electrical engineer to tell her why that won't work.
Yugoloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010   #3
EmperorChaos
Ruin you like this website.

Location: Charleston, South Carolina, United States, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster
EmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to EmperorChaos Send a message via AIM to EmperorChaos Send a message via MSN to EmperorChaos Send a message via Yahoo to EmperorChaos

I believe that God is the quantum computer we've yet to create.
The first thing that came into being, void and without form, a lifeless lump, unfashioned and unframed, the Prima Materia from which all comes, influenced by forms and given structure by matter it becomes all that is, with increase in entropy it is into which all shall fall, endlessly and in all directions, a self-reflexive paradox.
-=-=-=-
"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." -Isaac Asimov
EmperorChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010   #4
Yugoloth
-----

Yugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by EmperorChaos View Post
I believe that God is the quantum computer we've yet to create.
Quantum computers will be like regular ones, in that they'll still be as stupid as the human who is programming them. Maybe even more stupid, since they'll be even more difficult to program.

A major advantage that traditional computers have is that any logic circuit can be produced using a single type of logic gate (NAND), so designing and implementing circuits is a piece of cake. Lots of smaller runs of devices use field-programmable gate arrays, which are just grids of NAND gates that can be bypassed or enabled to create an arbitrary logic circuit.

Quantum computers won't have this advantage because of the principle of superposition. The qbit is a superposition of "1" and "0". It can be set to have a high probability to be either, but there's still the chance that it could come up as the opposite. Like Schrodinger's Cat, you won't know what you get until you look at it.

Allowing this is what makes the quantum computer powerful, but it does impose difficulties in designing the circuitry. Expect the first quantum computers to perform a specialized task (such as encryption) as an accessory to a traditional computer.

(disclaimer - i'm ad libbing, quote me at your peril)
Old 07-11-2010   #5
ablethevoice
Vintage Human

ablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by Yugoloth View Post

Allowing this is what makes the quantum computer powerful, but it does impose difficulties in designing the circuitry. Expect the first quantum computers to perform a specialized task (such as encryption) as an accessory to a traditional computer.

(disclaimer - i'm ad libbing, quote me at your peril)
I never thought of a "hybrid" concept. For some reason I'd been visualizing some sort of container with quantum plasma acting as a mega-CPU. Your quantum accessory to traditional computers makes a lot of sense, though. That makes me think of early "hybrid" televisions. Certain portions of a TV required extremely high voltages (25KV and up) and in the early days of solid state devices, these components couldn't handle that kind of voltage so tubes were still used. However, other areas of the television's circuitry were more mild so transistors were used to do the job that tubes used to do in that spot. I'd say - based on what you just suggested - we might see a 100% effective quantum antivirus/malware application in the near future.

"The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits." —Albert Einstein

))#####D~~~~ (_l_)
Old 07-11-2010   #6
EmperorChaos

Location: Charleston, South Carolina, United States, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster
EmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to EmperorChaos Send a message via AIM to EmperorChaos Send a message via MSN to EmperorChaos Send a message via Yahoo to EmperorChaos

Quote:
Originally Said by Yugoloth View Post
Quantum computers will be like regular ones, in that they'll still be as stupid as the human who is programming them. Maybe even more stupid, since they'll be even more difficult to program.
I did not mean to imply the very first working model of a quantum computer will be God. Also, I do not really believe it either. It's merely one of many ideas I've had for stories.

Imagine an intelligent machine whose "brain" is powered by a quantum computer. Would not this machine be capable of making itself more and more intelligent, due to the positive feedback loop of greater intelligence resulting in even greater intelligence, until it is capable of manipulating space-time itself?

Mike, I know you're all science-y and what-not with your college educations and your learnings.... but good god man, don't you know I live in a world of science fiction?
The first thing that came into being, void and without form, a lifeless lump, unfashioned and unframed, the Prima Materia from which all comes, influenced by forms and given structure by matter it becomes all that is, with increase in entropy it is into which all shall fall, endlessly and in all directions, a self-reflexive paradox.
-=-=-=-
"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." -Isaac Asimov
Old 07-12-2010   #7
Yugoloth
-----

Quote:
Originally Said by EmperorChaos View Post
Imagine an intelligent machine whose "brain" is powered by a quantum computer. Would not this machine be capable of making itself more and more intelligent, due to the positive feedback loop of greater intelligence resulting in even greater intelligence, until it is capable of manipulating space-time itself?
well... no...

there's nothing really that outrageous about a quantum computer. a traditional computer operates on flowing particles (electrons); either they flow (1) or they don't (0). A quantum computer simply operates on a spinning particle. either it's spin up (1) or spin down (0). The difference is that when undisturbed, the particle has a probability either one, and is effectively some combination of the spin up state and the spin down state.

Because of this, the qbit can hold multiple values, so a qbits passing through a single logic gate allows the gate to operate on many symbols at once instead of just one at a time. It's like parallel computing. They don't have any powers that a traditional computer doesn't, besides being way faster
Old 07-14-2010   #8
EmperorChaos

Faster is good, yes?

Dammit Mike, why'd you have to go into engineering? You know more than I do about stuff and things now. (I suppose that was never very difficult.)
-=-=-=-
Old 03-11-2011   #9
ablethevoice
Vintage Human

A guest was reading this article and I went back and re-read the articles I linked to. One of them had a glaring technical error which I missed the first time around. In the article about quantum computing, there is mention of a "single silicone crystal". Silicon and silicone are NOT interchangeable. Silicon is the element from which most computer's active components are manufactured. Silicone is a rubbery, plastic-like compound which contains silicon and other elements.

))#####D~~~~ (_l_)