Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > The Lounge > Debate & Politics

Debate & Politics Fight! Fight! Fight! Keep your arguments clean, and be constructive about getting your point across.

View Poll Results: Would you?
Yes 14 48.28%
No 15 51.72%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-13-2003   #21
INCUBUS
Cave ab homine unius libri

INCUBUS is a glorious beacon of lightINCUBUS is a glorious beacon of lightINCUBUS is a glorious beacon of lightINCUBUS is a glorious beacon of lightINCUBUS is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally posted by Weasel
You people have no souls.

Souls seem to be pretty easily boughten these days or sold depending upon which side of the highway you stand. Keeping that in mind again who would kill the purest of souls for the tainted and souless.

"That which doesn't kill us... only makes us stronger."

"Oh well... whatever... nevermind."
INCUBUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003   #22
uhoh
Newbie Member

uhoh is on a distinguished road

I understand philosophy is good for spurring thought, but that's a "false dilemma" sort of question, isn't it? At least that's how I see lose - lose questions.

If the question could be rephrased, "if a child could sacrifice themselves to guarantee world peace, would you be that child or would you allow your child to do so?", then I could get past the question to respond. Otherwise I have to default to "no".

Lose - lose questions seem to shape thinking into bad decisions. Jmo. On the other hand, I guess as long as it's recognized as such, that narrows the dilemma so a comfortable choice can be made. Sorta sounds like a brainwashing exercise
uhoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2003   #23
fadingroses
Well Known Member

fadingroses should be rewarded
No, I wouldn't. Unless there was PMS involved. Otherwise,why bother? The peace could never last.

"If you do something, do it right."
fadingroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003   #24
iwant2stalku
Needs to confirm E-mail address

iwant2stalku has made a few great posts
Send a message via AIM to iwant2stalku
I would. I know it's an innocent child and all, but (if this were a realistic situation) it would be worth it.
iwant2stalku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003   #25
scranford

scranford is on a distinguished road
No, I could not, myself, mabye others could but not me.
Old 03-10-2003   #26
Yugoloth
-----

Yugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Yugoloth
In the middle east, terrorists strike at school busses. Fifteen students died last week in a bombing. Iraq has a regular unit of child infantry.

In Africa, guerillas employ children fighters.

If the death of one child could stop the wars, stop the terrorism, then think about how many children that one death would save.

Yes, it is hypocritical, but the good would outweigh the bad.
Yugoloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003   #27
smart d_press
Newbie Member

smart d_press is on a distinguished road
miau
smart d_press is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003   #28
2fast4U
Trainee Member

2fast4U is on a distinguished road
Well, isn't that kinda what God wanted some 2000 yrs ago when he gave his only child to be crucified...??????
2fast4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003   #29
zer0tonight
Well Known Member

zer0tonight has made a few great posts
Send a message via AIM to zer0tonight
yes but does everyone believe in christianity? He wanted to save those christians...if its one kid for the whole entire world to believe in and follow, then that is quite different.
Old 03-13-2003   #30
uhoh
Newbie Member

uhoh is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Minja
Well, isn't that kinda what God wanted some 2000 yrs ago when he gave his only child to be crucified...??????
Was that successful?
uhoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003   #31
Sweathog
Experienced Member

Sweathog is doing greatSweathog is doing great
Well actually God gave his son for everyone, not just Christians. And consider how few Christians there were in that period, compared to Jews, Muslims, followers of the Roman gods... And to kill one pure soul etc.. for the rest of the world is fair enough, but peace would only be temporary. And what do you mean by peace? Do you mean an end to war? Or do you mean an end to all violence, pain, hate, crime and abuse? Or sin? because that would mean we have no free will if we didn't have the option to beat the living crap out of someone, or just make a spiteful comment... Do you get my drift?

I'm back, motherfuckers!

See what I see...
Sweathog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003   #32
lightsabor
Newbie Member

lightsabor is on a distinguished road
i would kill one innocent if it meant bringing peace for all the innocents. is not no one dead innocent worth less than the whole group?
lightsabor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008   #33
Pittielynn
sweet, funny and down-right CUTE!

Pittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Philosophical Question

I don't know if it's worth any more or less, but I do think if one life could save millions or kill millions, I'd say go for it.

"Be strong while it's hard and laugh at it after it's over. You just gotta live." - Spadetje

All along I believed I would find you.
Time has brought your heart to me,
I have loved you for a thousand years.
I'll love you for a thousand more...
...One step closer.
o.O♠O.o

Almost Smart Store
Almost Smart Arcade
Pittielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008   #34
amphiskios
Banned

amphiskios has a reputation beyond reputeamphiskios has a reputation beyond reputeamphiskios has a reputation beyond reputeamphiskios has a reputation beyond reputeamphiskios has a reputation beyond reputeamphiskios has a reputation beyond reputeamphiskios has a reputation beyond reputeamphiskios has a reputation beyond reputeamphiskios has a reputation beyond reputeamphiskios has a reputation beyond reputeamphiskios has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to amphiskios

It's a utilitarian question. Should one perform the actions that will provide the most good and the least harm? If human lives are of equal worth, and not unique, then of course it is worth it. But because they are unique, I think it is a hard argument to make that a life can be equated with anything. No matter how you look at it, that life is unique and could be very well more special than any you save.
amphiskios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008   #35
neomp5
Dipshit for life!

neomp5 is an Almost Smart godneomp5 is an Almost Smart godneomp5 is an Almost Smart godneomp5 is an Almost Smart godneomp5 is an Almost Smart godneomp5 is an Almost Smart godneomp5 is an Almost Smart godneomp5 is an Almost Smart godneomp5 is an Almost Smart godneomp5 is an Almost Smart godneomp5 is an Almost Smart god

if it seemed certain enough that the result would be the right kind of world peace, without hesitation.

"Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a god; because if there be one he must approve of the homage of reason more than that of blindfolded fear." -Thomas Jefferson

"A belief is not merely an idea the mind possesses; it is an idea that possesses the mind." -Robert Bolt

"To teach how to live without certainty and yet without being paralysed by hesitation is perhaps the chief thing that philosophy, in our age, can do for those who study it." -Bertrand Russell
neomp5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008   #36
Mr. Definistrate
I'm a magic man

Mr. Definistrate has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Definistrate has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Definistrate has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Definistrate has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Definistrate has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Definistrate has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Definistrate has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Definistrate has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Definistrate has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Definistrate has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Definistrate has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, old thread.

I wouldn't. If it were myself, I would. but I know that there are people who wouldn't sacrifice themselves for this. And I'm pretty bad at enforcing moral attitudes on others.

Especially since we are all selfish.

"There is, after all, more social justice in a loaf of bread than in schemes for a fairer distribution of wealth. Putting it another way . . . Adam Smith, however unfashionable, can feed more people than Karl Marx can."
--Forbes article on Food crisis in India

Quote:
Originally Said by Zanahoria_Picante View Post
Little Jimmy: (Tries to pour cereal from box; nothing comes out) "Nothing...for breakfast?"
Announcer: "That's right, little Jimmy! Nihilistic Crunch comes with a little nothing in every box!"
Little Jimmy: "Gee wiz, Mister! Won't I be hungry for the rest of the day?"
Announcer: "Well, Jimmy, that's the cost of keepin' it real."
Little Jimmy: (looks downcast)
Announcer: "Nihilistic Crunch: Now utterly devoid of swirls!"
Mr. Definistrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008   #37
The-Chadster
truth is more important than facts

The-Chadster is an Almost Smart godThe-Chadster is an Almost Smart godThe-Chadster is an Almost Smart godThe-Chadster is an Almost Smart godThe-Chadster is an Almost Smart godThe-Chadster is an Almost Smart godThe-Chadster is an Almost Smart godThe-Chadster is an Almost Smart godThe-Chadster is an Almost Smart godThe-Chadster is an Almost Smart godThe-Chadster is an Almost Smart god

Nope. Sorry. I don't think the world deserves peace.
John 8:28 Then Jesus said unto them, When ye lifted up the Son of man, then yee shall know that I am He, and that I do nothing of myself; but as my Father hath taught me, I speak these things.
Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

So clap your hands to the sound
Of every first born dying now
Watch the rivers flow with blood
Death will stand where life once stood
The-Chadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008   #38
psychoDiablo
Thx for the memories

psychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to psychoDiablo Send a message via Yahoo to psychoDiablo

Just do it. Get it over with. and Never look back.

To chill is to be chillin.
Chillin is cooperating with your surroundings, unknowing'st of what everything is capable of; and all the while, as it happens and after, to accept without any thought of good or bad, but mainly, just enjoying rather deeply, the moment you had to sit and think. (Not thinking.)

|-Mr.MCR-|

Will you write
Will you love
Will you enjoy
Life when I am gone?
You will.
by Angelina

"I have lived life as horrible as it was, and as beautiful as it has become."
psychoDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008   #39
foxyphoenix
Ubi dubium, ibi libertas.

foxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond repute

1/6,655,313,009 = 0.00000000015

And that's only one of the species affected by human wars.

Worth it, from a population survival standpoint. Unless, of course, you count wars as a sort of population control and disregard their other environmental effects. Then you would leave it be.

"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
-
Carl Sagan

"It is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."
-
Charles Darwin

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, man would die from a great loneliness of the spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected."
-
Chief Seattle

Almost Smart Store

foxyphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008   #40
misfitchris
zer0.

misfitchris is an Almost Smart godmisfitchris is an Almost Smart godmisfitchris is an Almost Smart godmisfitchris is an Almost Smart godmisfitchris is an Almost Smart godmisfitchris is an Almost Smart godmisfitchris is an Almost Smart godmisfitchris is an Almost Smart godmisfitchris is an Almost Smart godmisfitchris is an Almost Smart godmisfitchris is an Almost Smart god
Send a message via AIM to misfitchris

Don't you just love it when the end result is greater than the sum of its parts?
misfitchris is offline   Reply With Quote