Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > The Lounge > Debate & Politics

Debate & Politics Fight! Fight! Fight! Keep your arguments clean, and be constructive about getting your point across.

Old 03-14-2003   #21
uhoh
Newbie Member

uhoh is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Weasel
How is putting criminals to death playing god?

Making a decision to kill anyone is the same as playing god. Using "god" as a figure of speech only, a demonstration of power. Giving groups of people the power to make living or dying decisions for others diminishes "self" and individual responsibility, even for the onlookers. Then it attains a life of its own in terms of perception becoming reality. Eventually, "why bother, what I think, do or say doesn't matter."

Quote:
You make it sound like it's god's job to kill people. Hmm

Since you seem to believe in god, why do you question the ability he gave you to take away life?
I'm agnostic and personally don't believe it should be within anyone's power to kill someone else. When I speak of a god at all, it's as a reference others ascribe to, not myself. Been many years since I gave up expecting any god or entity to do for me what I can do myself

Let mother nature take care of who lives or dies.
uhoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003   #22
iwant2stalku
Needs to confirm E-mail address

iwant2stalku has made a few great posts
Send a message via AIM to iwant2stalku
And what do you do if humanity actually adopts this "live and let live" policy? When the world becomes even more over populated than it already is and resources are strained beyond what they are now...
Now, I'm not suggesting that abortion be used as a means of controlling the worlds population, but I think it is very effective in helping to reduce the amount of people on this planet.
iwant2stalku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003   #23
uhoh
Newbie Member

Quote:
Originally posted by iwant2stalku
And what do you do if humanity actually adopts this "live and let live" policy? When the world becomes even more over populated than it already is and resources are strained beyond what they are now...
Now, I'm not suggesting that abortion be used as a means of controlling the worlds population, but I think it is very effective in helping to reduce the amount of people on this planet.
If it's assumed every culture thinks only as the type who focuses on reproduction, then that's a problem no doubt. However whole cultures come to conclusions eventually, if some take longer than others. Even China, who still ritualistically worships reproduction, demonstrated common sense. Specifically, birth is STILL a miracle and having a child is cherished - that has not changed except in numbers. Did it happen "in time"? That remains to be seen, doesn't it? One thing is obvious to date, and that is that China has not made itself a burden on the rest of the world. True China has utilized high people volume to negotiate and barter with, but what country doesn't?

There are obvious natural controls for over-population, historically known as famine and disease. But instead of putting heads together to predict and deflect over-population with common sense approaches, there still seems to be a 50's style of "quick fix" and "instant gratification" thinking that only lends to short-term results, and sometimes yields negative long-term side effects. Consider the situation of antibiotic use, for example. A great thing gone wildly out of control, mainly so people can make money.

I'm curious what some people think about fertility drugs regarding the subjects of abortion, adoption and over-population. My personal opinion is that self-discipline and common sense are far better controls in minimizing abortions than pills and group decisions for individuals.
Old 03-15-2003   #24
iwant2stalku
Needs to confirm E-mail address

iwant2stalku has made a few great posts
Send a message via AIM to iwant2stalku
I'm pro choice, pro fertility drugs, pro birth control. I mean, if you think about it, the number of babies that are born through the use of fertility drugs should help to balance the amount of unborn babies that are killed through abortions. So maybe it strikes a form of balance that was created by man.
Obviously, there are many couples out there that want babies and cannot have them...for whatever reason. While I disagree with some of the reasons people have abortions when the children could all be adopted, many of these childless couples want biological babies...which brings up another good point. Beggers can't-and shouldn't- be chosers. If you want a kid that bad, why not adopt one that someone else gave up on?
iwant2stalku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003   #25
uhoh
Newbie Member

Quote:
Originally posted by iwant2stalku
[B]I'm pro choice, pro fertility drugs, pro birth control. I mean, if you think about it, the number of babies that are born through the use of fertility drugs should help to balance the amount of unborn babies that are killed through abortions. So maybe it strikes a form of balance that was created by man.
I suppose that would depend on the number of abortions performed that would not have culminated in miscarriage. That is a number that is ignored by pro-lifers and pro-choice people alike though for opposite reasons. I am pro-choice because of first hand experience. I've had two abortions, both medically necessary and without them I would have gone nearly full term before spontaneous abortion (miscarriage) would have occurred naturally. Such a thing is a tremendous shock to one's body and sometimes does irreparable damage. Out of five pregnancies I bore two children. The 5th was a tubal pregnancy - did not require D & C, but did require "removal". So, 3 out of 3 were no-goes for me. That is not an unlikely circumstance for many women who suffer chronic reproductive illnesses.

For that reason alone, I have difficulty supporting fertility drugs and users based on abortion rates.

Quote:
Obviously, there are many couples out there that want babies and cannot have them...for whatever reason. While I disagree with some of the reasons people have abortions when the children could all be adopted, many of these childless couples want biological babies...which brings up another good point. Beggers can't-and shouldn't- be chosers. If you want a kid that bad, why not adopt one that someone else gave up on?
If I were religious, I would give a hearty "amen" to that.