Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > Media Room > Art & Photography

Art & Photography Right-brained and shutterbug hangout. Post and discuss art and photographs, self-created or otherwise. Also show off your digital graphics, wallpapers, or desktops.

Old 08-24-2008   #1
pitcairnpete
Howdy Doodere

pitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to pitcairnpete
Photography competition. 1000 points for the winner.

I have been thinking of doing something like this for sometime and just thought that I would add the points for a good reason to take part.

Every three weeks or so I will bring a photo subject for people to look into and take a picutre of. The rules of the competition are simple.

1. Take the photo yourself. I can not prove this in many respects so I hope to be able to trust you with this.

2. There is no favouritism within this competition, the only thing that will sway the decision is the quality of the photograph.

3. You can only enter one photograph per person.

4. The photograph should be accompanied by over 100 words explaining how the photograph fits the given theme, why you chose the subject and camera settings and specifications.

I have a few ideas on what the subject will be but I want to create a scoring system first. If this idea is not going to work then by all means tell me so before we start all this.

Thanks

pitcairnpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008   #2
my.dragons.lady
happy heretic

my.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Photography competition. 1000 points for the winner.

Sounds like fun. Since I know nothing about cameras except pushing buttons and getting pictures off them, I'll look forward to seeing what the rest of you do. What a great idea :.)

"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need." ~~ Cicero

"Let food be your medicine and medicine be your food." ~~ Hippocrates

"Trust, but verify." ~~ Damon Runyon * Said to me by Andy Stephenson of Hacking Democracy, in memory of and one account. Miss you much, Andy.
my.dragons.lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008   #3
Thoughtcrime
I grew up to be black.

Thoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond repute

Who cares about points?
Old 08-24-2008   #4
pitcairnpete
Howdy Doodere

pitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by MudPuppet View Post
Who cares about points?
Who knows mate but it seemed a nice little token.

Old 08-24-2008   #5
psychoDiablo
Thx for the memories

psychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to psychoDiablo Send a message via Yahoo to psychoDiablo

Duh Mud. Now you can't participate. You must sit out the first round.

To chill is to be chillin.
Chillin is cooperating with your surroundings, unknowing'st of what everything is capable of; and all the while, as it happens and after, to accept without any thought of good or bad, but mainly, just enjoying rather deeply, the moment you had to sit and think. (Not thinking.)

|-Mr.MCR-|

Will you write
Will you love
Will you enjoy
Life when I am gone?
You will.
by Angelina

"I have lived life as horrible as it was, and as beautiful as it has become."
psychoDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008   #6
Zanahoria_Picante
Orange you glad she's not a banana?

Zanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond repute

That does sound like fun! Let's do this thing.

..| |
.| | |
_____
\ love /-|
-\__/--|

"When I first read the dictionary, I thought it was a long poem about everything."
Steven Wright

;
Zanahoria_Picante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008   #7
Brisa
The Missing Linx

Brisa is divineBrisa is divineBrisa is divineBrisa is divineBrisa is divineBrisa is divineBrisa is divineBrisa is divineBrisa is divineBrisa is divine
Send a message via MSN to Brisa Send a message via Skype™ to Brisa

So we just post them here after we take it? hmmmm..... and does it have to be new? I took some really good photo's down in Florida.
Brisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008   #8
David-
Double Plus Good

David- has a reputation beyond reputeDavid- has a reputation beyond reputeDavid- has a reputation beyond reputeDavid- has a reputation beyond reputeDavid- has a reputation beyond reputeDavid- has a reputation beyond reputeDavid- has a reputation beyond reputeDavid- has a reputation beyond reputeDavid- has a reputation beyond reputeDavid- has a reputation beyond reputeDavid- has a reputation beyond repute

I'm terrible, but I'll give it a go. Someone's gotta get last place.
David- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008   #9
pitcairnpete
Howdy Doodere

The first subject of photography is.

Nature. I would like a picture of nature it could have been taken at any time as long as you were the person that took it. You do have 2 weeks from this point to do such a picture and all those that wish to participate should hopefully make themselves known in the next few days.

You will also be given a gift that officially states you as a winner of the said competition from me. That is on top of the 1000 point prize.

There is no cost for playing just post up a good picture by 23:00 GMT Sunday the 7th of September.

Good luck and get snapping.

Old 08-25-2008   #10
Brisa
The Missing Linx

Brisa is divineBrisa is divineBrisa is divineBrisa is divineBrisa is divineBrisa is divineBrisa is divineBrisa is divineBrisa is divineBrisa is divine

This is my Entree.

My name for this photo is "A Bee in Paradice"
I have choosen this photo due to it fitting a very Natural Nature scene. When have you ever not noticed a bee in the spring, first sitting on a Blooming flower in the warm sun of May. Notice the green in the background and how the bee and the flowers stand out(you can see the pouches of pollen on it's legs). You even get the pride of seeing the pettles just starting to grow from the surrounding flowers. Bee's, something so small can uphold something as big as Nature.

On aside of why I have choosen this picture. I have also choosen the setting of "close up", Forgive me if that is to blunt. I have taken this Picture with a regular Digital Camera. Kodak Easy share(M753) with a 7.0 mega Pixels. The close up range, was able to focus on the nearest thing to the camera, which I was hopeing to catch the bee in a polination action close up. I think I have come very close to my goal and this was one of the better of the three I had taken. My specification's were that I can see a good portion of the Bee, and flowers, and that the background was not overly dark.

I think I did well, but you are the judge.
(If I need to add anything else, please PM me.)

Last edited by Brisa; 08-25-2008 at 11:09 AM.
Old 08-25-2008   #11
Narnar
your PUR-FECT enemy

Narnar has a reputation beyond reputeNarnar has a reputation beyond reputeNarnar has a reputation beyond reputeNarnar has a reputation beyond reputeNarnar has a reputation beyond reputeNarnar has a reputation beyond reputeNarnar has a reputation beyond reputeNarnar has a reputation beyond reputeNarnar has a reputation beyond reputeNarnar has a reputation beyond reputeNarnar has a reputation beyond repute

It's an ice storm; killed power for like 100,000 people in my city two years ago. I took it with a Sony Cybershot DSC-N1 using the VGA(e-mail) setting :P
Narnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008   #12
GoddessDivine
I move the stars for no one.

GoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to GoddessDivine Send a message via Skype™ to GoddessDivine

^beautiful, just beautiful. It looks like its out of a fantasy movie
-Obi Wan

GoddessDivine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008   #13
my.dragons.lady
happy heretic

my.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond repute

That's a great shot, Narnar. Ice storms are every bit as beautiful as they are a dangerous pain.

We used to live in Virginia which gets notable ice storms. Somewhere there's a picture of an icicle nearly 3 feet long that dangled for weeks from our front porch eave.

~~~~
And I was just outside following a bee around, flower-to-flower and only getting bee butt shots. At least it was gathering from fragrant hostas :.) Ran the battery down already so I have to wait to see if any of them turned out well to post.

"Trust, but verify." ~~ Damon Runyon * Said to me by Andy Stephenson of Hacking Democracy, in memory of and one account. Miss you much, Andy.
Old 08-25-2008   #14
Brisa
The Missing Linx

^ Copy cat :P.

lol.

Remember rule number 4 people!!!

Quote:
4. The photograph should be accompanied by over 100 words explaining how the photograph fits the given theme, why you chose the subject and camera settings and specifications.
Old 08-25-2008   #15
foxyphoenix
Ubi dubium, ibi libertas.

foxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond repute

I know that I've shown this around here before, and it's been over a year since I took the picture, but it continues to be one of my most proud photographs.
This is an American Bullfrog (Rana catesbeiana) hand-caught and hand-held (by my little brother, Furby, as I was taking the photo) for a going-away picture to remind me of home when I was far away at college. The background is his home: a man-made wetlands at Cherry Creek State Park that I feel represents the triumph of nature in even an urban environment. I have spent a good number of hours in this state park, whether skating, fishing, or trudging through the woods bothering the wildlife for a good picture. It's everything I love about the natural world: the life, the color, the memories, and the future.

"Behold" - July 01, 2007
Panasonic DMC-LZ3, Macro 6mm Optical Focus, 1/200 second shutter, 80 ISO

Behold_by_InfinityandOne.jpg

Higher Resolution available here.

"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
-
Carl Sagan

"It is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."
-
Charles Darwin

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, man would die from a great loneliness of the spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected."
-
Chief Seattle

Almost Smart Store

foxyphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008   #16
Christian
Super Moderator

Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Christian

I made this picture ontop of a hill in Estes Park, i guess the name of it was "Prospect Mountain".

I was together with Foxy on a 'Chipmunk-photo-hunt', so dozen of pictures had been made. That one is one of my favorites of that day because the little guy stood infront of her as she tried to catch him with a Peanut in one hand while she was photographing his brain out with the other. I took the same picture of him from the side and it looks like he trys to defend himselfe from geting photographed that much.. or, if he was smart, he tried to surrender to Foxy... or he just tried to say "Here is nothing to see, move along" to keep us away from his little comrades. Who knows..

I made it about the half smaller so it isn't that big anymore; a bigger version can be added if needed. It was made with my "Olympus Camedia C-725 Ultra Zoom" and I named it "Nothing to see".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12 (26)_small.JPG (109.4 KB, 23 views)
Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008   #17
GoddessDivine
I move the stars for no one.

GoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to GoddessDivine Send a message via Skype™ to GoddessDivine

^wow what a great shot Christian...and foxy that is also a great shot, made me squirm thinking the frog was right here. (for some reason i am terribly afraid of frogs 0_o )
-Obi Wan

GoddessDivine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008   #18
foxyphoenix
Ubi dubium, ibi libertas.

foxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by Christian View Post
I was together with Foxy on a 'Chipmunk-photo-hunt', so dozen of pictures had been made. That one is one of my favorites of that day because the little guy stood infront of her as she tried to catch him with a Peanut in one hand while she was photographing his brain out with the other. I took the same picture of him from the side and it looks like he trys to defend himselfe from geting photographed that much.. or, if he was smart, he tried to surrender to Foxy... or he just tried to say "Here is nothing to see, move along" to keep us away from his little comrades. Who knows..

Hahahaha... someday everyone will just submit. =)

"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
-
Carl Sagan

"It is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."
-
Charles Darwin

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, man would die from a great loneliness of the spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected."
-
Chief Seattle

Almost Smart Store

foxyphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008   #19
my.dragons.lady
happy heretic

Brisa, I'm not putting anything here so it shouldn't matter :.)

Christian, very nice shot. The pose reminds me of a stuffed squirrel I saw somewhere. Also noticed the color is different than chipmunks here (Chicago). Ours are reddish with a black stripe, or maybe there are other kinds in the area but that's all I've seen here so far.

foxyphoenix, I love that that picture caught the moistness of the frog's skin. It looks like you could touch it right now and get a finger wet.

Edit: Was just looking at the frog picture again. Did y'all notice the golden flecks around its eyes, and how liquid the center of its eye appears? Just beautiful.

Last edited by my.dragons.lady; 08-26-2008 at 02:02 AM. Reason: Edit added
Old 08-26-2008   #20
Zanahoria_Picante
Orange you glad she's not a banana?

Zanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond repute

Such amazing photographs posted thus far. I'm glad pete started this competition just so they could be displayed in all their shininess.

Well, this one was taken some time ago, but I recall the post-rainstorm droplets being illuminated by the mellow, returning sun in the evening and how, even though the grass was located in my backyard (not the most inspiring place, to say the least), the minute details of the scene--these bending blades of grass, be-droplet-ed--begged to be recorded.

I used a Kodak Easy Share Z7590 with 10X optical zoom; specifically, its "close-up" setting (used for subjects 28 inches or closer), and I did so because it made sense...in capturing such details as water droplets.

It shows the tenacity of natural things; any plant brazen enough to grow in the inhospitable soil of this neighborhood must want to make a point--or be some sort of "vegilante" for the cause of nature. I think it also illustrates the depth of nature; the precision and beauty found in its smallest corners.

The End.

..| |
.| | |
_____
\ love /-|
-\__/--|

"When I first read the dictionary, I thought it was a long poem about everything."
Steven Wright

;

Last edited by Zanahoria_Picante; 08-26-2008 at 03:06 AM.
Zanahoria_Picante is offline   Reply With Quote