Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > Media Room > Art & Photography

Art & Photography Right-brained and shutterbug hangout. Post and discuss art and photographs, self-created or otherwise. Also show off your digital graphics, wallpapers, or desktops.

Old 12-18-2008   #1
Pittielynn
sweet, funny and down-right CUTE!

Pittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond repute
Bambi and Thumper

They do exist!!

"Be strong while it's hard and laugh at it after it's over. You just gotta live." - Spadetje

All along I believed I would find you.
Time has brought your heart to me,
I have loved you for a thousand years.
I'll love you for a thousand more...
...One step closer.
o.O♠O.o

Almost Smart Store
Almost Smart Arcade
Pittielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008   #2
Sytrohs87
goliath

Sytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Sytrohs87 Send a message via MSN to Sytrohs87
Re: Bambi and Thumper

Fear not little ones, your unconventional love is stronger than any deer/deer or rabbit/rabbit relationship ever could be!

..but seriously, holy fuck. Waaaaaaaay too much cuteness.

-The Mars Volta

"I consider the positions of kings and rulers as that of dust motes. I observe treasures of gold and gems as so many bricks and pebbles. I look upon the finest silken robes as tattered rags. I see myriad worlds of the universe as small seeds of fruit, and the greatest lake in India as a drop of oil on my foot. I perceive the teachings of the world to be the illusion of magicians. I discern the highest conception of emancipation as a golden brocade in a dream, and view the holy path of the illuminated ones as flowers appearing in one's eyes. I see meditation as a pillar of a mountain, Nirvana as a nightmare of daytime. I look upon the judgment of right and wrong as the serpentine dance of a dragon, and the rise and fall of beliefs as but traces left by the four seasons."

-Siddhartha Gautama
Sytrohs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008   #3
Pittielynn

Pittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by Sytrohs87 View Post
..but seriously, holy fuck. Waaaaaaaay too much cuteness.
I know!!

"Be strong while it's hard and laugh at it after it's over. You just gotta live." - Spadetje

...One step closer.
o.O♠O.o

Almost Smart Store
Almost Smart Arcade
Old 12-18-2008   #4
Dammmmn

1337 has a reputation beyond repute1337 has a reputation beyond repute1337 has a reputation beyond repute1337 has a reputation beyond repute1337 has a reputation beyond repute1337 has a reputation beyond repute1337 has a reputation beyond repute1337 has a reputation beyond repute1337 has a reputation beyond repute1337 has a reputation beyond repute1337 has a reputation beyond repute

wheres Gerbil when you need him.

1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008   #5
Pittielynn

Nooo!!

...One step closer.
o.O♠O.o

Almost Smart Store
Almost Smart Arcade
Old 12-18-2008   #6
GoddessDivine
I move the stars for no one.

GoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to GoddessDivine Send a message via Skype™ to GoddessDivine

Quote:
Originally Said by 1337 View Post
wheres Gerbil when you need him.
lol
-Obi Wan

GoddessDivine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008   #7
foxyphoenix
Ubi dubium, ibi libertas.

foxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond repute

What's the point of wearing camouflage if you're going to put a neon vest over it?

"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
-
Carl Sagan

"It is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."
-
Charles Darwin

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, man would die from a great loneliness of the spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected."
-
Chief Seattle

Almost Smart Store

foxyphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008   #8
Madre
Double Plus Good Mod!

Madre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond repute

lol, good point!
III.IIVIVIXIIVIVIIIVVIIIIXVIIIXIIIIIIIIVIIIIVVIIIV IIVIIIIIIVIII - Solomon (I Kings 7:23)
Madre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008   #9
my.dragons.lady
happy heretic

my.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by foxyphoenix View Post
What's the point of wearing camouflage if you're going to put a neon vest over it?
I'm going to guess the neon orange registers as a gray to most/all? animals, so perhaps it only makes a difference to humans? It's supposed to keep the wearer from catching friendly fire, but it doesn't always work. Some people shoot anything that moves, and neon orange shows up nicely from a distance.

I always wanted to go hunting when I was a kid, mainly because my cousins and brothers went regularly. I thought I was missing out. Eventually I did and the first time it was to hunt rabbits. I did ok until one was about to be shot, then I shooed it away, inspiring a bit of ire and ridicule :.) Forever after that it was said that if a person really wanted to HUNT rabbits, I was the go to rabbit hunter. I could sure hunt rabbits, just don't try to shoot one. I can't help it. I love rabbits. I could only eat them when I was a kid if I didn't know that's what I was eating. Same with squirrels and birds. At my grandmother's I learned not to ask what was on the table if I wanted to eat.

Second time I went hunting was with a cousin, his family and some of their friends. It was weird, sad and disgusting. We drove hours away up to Georgia to some place where there is a grid of dirt roads crossing one another, leaving patches of woods between the roads. They took their dogs out, walked around blocks in the grid. When they saw tracks enter that had not yet exited, they'd send the dogs in and post someone to shoot on each side of that block of woods. Went home with two bucks. Doesn't seem much like a sport or a challenge, though I suppose it makes sense if you want to be sure you can bring food home.

I'm not 100% against hunting, probably because I was raised with hunters. One of my uncles taught me to skin, clean and cut up all kinds of animals for dinner when I was just a kid, so that never bothered me. They used skins, gut, bones and did a lot of things barely heard of anymore. Mostly, I despise the waste by killing for horns, just hide and such. I've been wandering with cousins or my brother or sister when much younger, and seen parts of animals eaten then tossed aside or left behind. Out in the woods it's fair enough to say other animals will eat remains left like that, but it can't be counted on and it isn't right. I've heard people who do that say animals do the same. All I can say to that is we're supposed to be smart enough not to be wasteful.

"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need." ~~ Cicero

"Let food be your medicine and medicine be your food." ~~ Hippocrates

"Trust, but verify." ~~ Damon Runyon * Said to me by Andy Stephenson of Hacking Democracy, in memory of and one account. Miss you much, Andy.
my.dragons.lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008   #10
Christian
Super Moderator

Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Christian

Quote:
Actually, that is what I asked myselfe too.. stop reading my mind

To the photos: "Awwww... cute!".
Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008   #11
hai Jay
Time for breakfast!!!

hai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond repute

So...did you take the pictures?
Old 12-18-2008   #12
GoddessDivine
I move the stars for no one.

GoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to GoddessDivine Send a message via Skype™ to GoddessDivine

Quote:
Originally Said by Christian View Post
Actually, that is what I asked myselfe too.. stop reading my mind

To the photos: "Awwww... cute!".
IDK either, maybe that is before you go hunting and then you take of the vest while you are actually hunting, or maybe you only wear them when you are in a deer stand.

I have been hunting a few times, mostly by horseback and bow and arrow. however i just ran the animals out while the hunters tried to hunt, lol. I can't bring myself to kill an animal when there is so much supply of food that is easily accessible to me. Plus if I did kill an animal I would try to use as much of it as possible practically. Maybe I don't hunt for that reason. I do not need a knife made of antlers, an animal skin loin cloth, etc.

Actually I refuse to eat many things such as deer, rabbit (my uncle would raise rabbits, name them and then eat them later. also put the names of the rabbits on the bag when he froze it. maybe this is why i dont eat them, i have them as pets only!!!), lamb, or duck. For some reason cow and chicken doesnt bother me all that much, but i am sure if i saw them slaughtered i wouldn't be too keen on eating them.

I dont really have anything against hunters at all, except maybe trophy hunters.
-Obi Wan

GoddessDivine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008   #13
foxyphoenix

foxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond repute

I have problems with trophy hunters, hunters who kill for fun, and hunters who don't kill properly (i.e. letting the animal suffer or just wounding it and then giving up).
I understand the need for hunting of overpopulated species in the areas in which the population is causing harm to the ecosystem. Otherwise, I find it rather barbaric. I also don't like people who can only hunt with the help of thousands of dollars' worth of technology.

In any case, while I can think of situations where it would be necessary to depopulate, I don't think I could bring myself to do it. I have only killed animals when I felt that their suffering was too much to bear and there was nothing I (or anyone else) could do for them. I still remember each of them. =(

Also, even if animals couldn't see the neon orange, wouldn't the block of hue caused by it alert them to a moving, solid form?

"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
-
Carl Sagan

-
Charles Darwin

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, man would die from a great loneliness of the spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected."
-
Chief Seattle

Almost Smart Store

Old 12-18-2008   #14
Jenn and tonic
"maaaaagic!"

Jenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Jenn and tonic

Venison jerky is the best stuff. I don't like deer meat chili though, go figure.

Those pictures are adorable.

Also, according to my dad (an avid hunter), during gun season it's the law to wear orange when hunting to help prevent someone from being shot.
When all government, in little as in great things, shall be drawn to Washington as the Center of all power, it will render powerless the checks provided of one government on another and will become as venal and oppressive as the government from which we separated. Thomas Jefferson
Jenn and tonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008   #15
foxyphoenix

Well, yeah, I just don't understand why you would bother with wearing camouflage underneath it. You may as well just wear anything as the orange is going to alert most creatures to your presence.

-
Carl Sagan

-
Charles Darwin

-
Chief Seattle

Almost Smart Store

Old 12-19-2008   #16
hai Jay
Time for breakfast!!!

hai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond repute

well then, just say it's part of the "tradition" of dads and uncles taking their sons out to murder animals?
Old 12-19-2008   #17
Isis
Well Known Member

Isis is a splendid one to beholdIsis is a splendid one to beholdIsis is a splendid one to beholdIsis is a splendid one to beholdIsis is a splendid one to beholdIsis is a splendid one to beholdIsis is a splendid one to behold

Cuuuuuuuuuuute!!!
Isis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008   #18
my.dragons.lady
happy heretic

my.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Well, yeah, I just don't understand why you would bother with wearing camouflage underneath it. You may as well just wear anything as the orange is going to alert most creatures to your presence.
Me either. I believe the neon vests are moneymakers and a mostly gimmick. Ideally, no one should be hunting if they can't be sure of what they're shooting at.

Numerous relatives and my dad agreed many times they believe neon colored clothing mostly serves as a reminder to other hunters to be more cognizant of where they are and what they're doing.

You're probably right about a single block of color being out of place to an animal's eyes. I have seen red or orange in camouflaged wear, but not often and not sure why it isn't the norm. Maybe it depends on what's being hunted, but I doubt that too.

All these things said, looks like Gerbil is doing it right, even if he has to wear orange hunting stuff :.)

"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need." ~~ Cicero

"Let food be your medicine and medicine be your food." ~~ Hippocrates

"Trust, but verify." ~~ Damon Runyon * Said to me by Andy Stephenson of Hacking Democracy, in memory of and one account. Miss you much, Andy.
my.dragons.lady is offline   Reply With Quote