Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > The Lounge > General

General If it doesn't belong anywhere else it goes here.

Old 04-10-2022   #1
Demento
Banned

Demento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Demento Send a message via MSN to Demento
A bit nostalgic

I have so many (mostly) fond memories of this place. Its a trip down memory lane seeing how forums like these were the bulk of the internet for a time. Sure there were programs like IRC, AOL instant messenger, but for a period... this was it. Now the world is a bit bigger.

I had to dig back in time I find a picture I uploaded of myself when I joined Almost Smart in 2004. I was 15. Now I'm nearly 33. Check out the difference... and similarities.

I think I remember posting some out-there (for the time anyways) right wing crap. I remember arguing with Madre to no end... I think EmperorChaos too. Now I look back and cringe at the comments I made. I did a quick scroll of the members list by post count to see the top contributors. It's strange how I may not remember a single specific thing anyone posted... but I remember how I felt when reading the username and how I felt furiously typing out responses. It's a trip how mentality changes, and doesn't, over 18 years. Now I frequent reddit. It's a different dynamic arguing with a new stranger each day. Although I do a lot less arguing now!

I was here through high school, and looks like posts dropped off around 2011. So I was 21/22. I was half-assing through college classses with no real goal in mind. Not sure what I wanted to do. I was a 'militant atheist' arguing with anyone I possibly could. Still atheist, but I give less fucks now. Very much left-leaning with the exception I like my guns and ability to defend myself. Fuck Trump. Not a huge Biden fan, but at least he's not in Twitter wars with teenage girls. Im kind of glad we didn't deal with something quite as controversial as 2020 while AS was active!

Since then I married the girl I met at age 19. We've got 3 kids. A 5 year old girl, a 3 year old girl, and a 1 year old boy. That's enough for us. I went to nursing school and have been working as an LVN Licensed Vocational Nurse(LPN in some states). Ive worked drug/alcohol rehabs and detox, dialysis, urgent cares. Now I'm back in nursing school working on a Bachelors and an RN license. Nursing is great... for the most part. The pandemic shed some serious light on the woefully inadequate scientific literacy of the public and nearly drove me and a lot of medical staff to the breaking point.

I like riding/fixing up 80s/90s era stand-up jet skis. I like shooting and have a decent collection of guns. Those two things keep me busy.

I'm sure it will be a year before another person trickles in, and that's ok. I set up email notifications for replies to the thread so it won't be another 4 years til I revisit the site. Id love to hear how some of you have changed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kyle.jpg (65.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_0605.jpeg (58.4 KB, 4 views)

Demento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022   #2
foxyphoenix
Ubi dubium, ibi libertas.

foxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A bit nostalgic

I occasionally trip into the forums here, too. Many good memories! It is amazing how much the internet has changed in the last 15 years. Even AIM is gone -- seeing the little AIM icon beneath your name tugged on some serious nostalgia threads.

Congratulations on your education and continued pursuits! Working in healthcare (especially during a pandemic) is no joke, but worthwhile and fulfilling.

I joined AS as a high school senior and am now a veterinarian, finished with internship and residency and opening up my own practice this summer. Still atheist, still unabashedly liberal (fuck Trump, not a huge Biden fan). I can only imagine the threads Madre would have made during the Trump era! Now I'm on Facebook (where I'm friends with many AlmostSmartians - hit me up if we're not), reddit, and Twitter; I haven't given up arguing with strangers but pick my battles more selectively. Married, no kids, and a small zoo of rescued animals. I write crosswords for fun and have been published in several venues. My less lucrative hobbies include hiking, baking/cooking, video games, escape rooms, board games, and other nerdy pursuits as they find me.

"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
-
Carl Sagan

"It is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."
-
Charles Darwin

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, man would die from a great loneliness of the spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected."
-
Chief Seattle

Almost Smart Store

foxyphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022   #3
Pittielynn
sweet, funny and down-right CUTE!

Pittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A bit nostalgic

I love this. I'd be up for an AS revival. Too many good memories to let if go forever.

I joined AS shortly after Spadetje passed. I was morning and searching for anything that remotely reminded me of her. I still miss her every single day, especially about what she would have done with her life and how proud she would be of all of us.

I have news! After finishing my MA in History I worked for 8 years in healthcare in an industrial engineering role. Now I've decided to go back to school and pursue a lifelong dream. I'm super excited to share that I will be starting Law school this September! I'm still very left leaning, still athiest as wll, still living with anxiety. I am married, no kids, raising a single fur baby who needs to be an only child but I love him. He had such a hard start in life and seeing him thrive with us has been such a gift. I still research and speak annualy at conferences on topics of race and discrimination. I'm also writing a dystopian non-fiction on the side with female LGBTQ+ leads. Maybe someday something will come out of it - we shall see!

"Be strong while it's hard and laugh at it after it's over. You just gotta live." - Spadetje

All along I believed I would find you.
Time has brought your heart to me,
I have loved you for a thousand years.
I'll love you for a thousand more...
...One step closer.
o.O♠O.o

Almost Smart Store
Almost Smart Arcade
Pittielynn is offline   Reply With Quote