Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > AlmostSmartism > Front Page

Front Page The threads which appears on the front page. Add your comments or create your own front page threads.

Old 11-10-2008   #81
foxyphoenix
Ubi dubium, ibi libertas.

foxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Proposition 8

If it breaks down after any sort of consideration, the logic is not infallible.

"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
-
Carl Sagan

"It is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."
-
Charles Darwin

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, man would die from a great loneliness of the spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected."
-
Chief Seattle

Almost Smart Store

foxyphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008   #82
Yugoloth
-----

Yugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Yugoloth

Anyone care to take up the challenge and show via induction that Demento's statement is incorrect?
Yugoloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008   #83
Demento
Banned

Demento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Demento Send a message via MSN to Demento

As far as the rules of a valid arguement go, it is. Morality does not come into play when just looking at the validity of an arguement.

Im not saying its right morally, but it is a sound and valid arguement. Any else take a philosphy or statistics class?
Demento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008   #84
my.dragons.lady
happy heretic

my.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by Demento View Post
Of course its ironic. The logic of it is infallible though, as far as philosophy and arguement-structure goes.
Fact based logic is counter to philosophy which can be entirely subjective. The writers of our Constitutions, slaveowners or not, did everything possible to focus on protecting individual sovereignty. As Americans we are sworn to uphold our Constitutions. Why should any individual or group of individuals be allowed to claim what is important to them is more important altogether than protecting sovereignty for everyone?

What are you referring to as "it", when you say "the logic of it is infallible"?

"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need." ~~ Cicero

"Let food be your medicine and medicine be your food." ~~ Hippocrates

"Trust, but verify." ~~ Damon Runyon * Said to me by Andy Stephenson of Hacking Democracy, in memory of and one account. Miss you much, Andy.
my.dragons.lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008   #85
foxyphoenix

foxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by Demento View Post
Homosexuals arent being denied any right that I am. A homosexual male cannot marry another male, and neither can I.

Hows that for logic.
A female can marry a male, but a male cannot; the female has a right the male does not, hence the male is denied a right.
A male can marry a female, but a female cannot; the male has a right the female does not, hence the female is denied a right.

The conjunction of these denials of rights is not compatible: denying each group of people a "comparable" right is still denying rights.
Therefore each person is being denied a right.
The relativity of rights is irrelevant ("it's ok to deny them a right if I'm denied it, too") because it does not change the fact that rights are being denied.

With the institution of gay marriage, both you and a homosexual male would gain the right to marry males, making you equal to women in that respect; both a homosexual female and a heterosexual female would gain the right to marry females, making them equal to males in that respect.
In such a situation, no rights would be denied with regards to marriage, making it the more logical of the choices.

"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
-
Carl Sagan

-
Charles Darwin

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, man would die from a great loneliness of the spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected."
-
Chief Seattle

Almost Smart Store

Old 11-10-2008   #86
Funk*Sonic*7
Im super cereal!

Location: Randomly by chance out of nowhere, b/c that's more plausible
Funk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond repute

This world is full of double standards, but the only double standard I won't fight against is the idea of two or more lipstick lesbians in a relationship, and with myself in thee middle of it.
But at the same time, that serves to give us horny asshole guys less options, and that's no good. So I say that they pass a law that a woman can only get involved with another woman if and only if (1.) she is married to a man, (2.) the man is aware of the other woman and agrees to it, and most importantly, (3.) his wife and the other woman should share each other with the man both separately and at the same time when it comes to having sexual relations at any and all times.

Seriously though, I'm for not denying any of these rights to any consenting adult. That includes gays, lesbos, bisexuals, pansexuals, trisexuals, biheterosexuals, polygamists, and all those ladies who work out at Curves.
"God is the shaper of your heart. God does not display his work in abstract terms. He prefers the concrete, and this means that at the end of your life one of three things will happen to your heart: it will grow hard, it will be broken, or it will be tender. Nobody escapes." - Ravi Zacharias

Last edited by Funk*Sonic*7; 11-10-2008 at 07:32 PM.
Funk*Sonic*7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008   #87
psychoDiablo
Thx for the memories

psychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to psychoDiablo Send a message via Yahoo to psychoDiablo

It's Adam & Eve. Not Adam & Steve. lol

To chill is to be chillin.
Chillin is cooperating with your surroundings, unknowing'st of what everything is capable of; and all the while, as it happens and after, to accept without any thought of good or bad, but mainly, just enjoying rather deeply, the moment you had to sit and think. (Not thinking.)

|-Mr.MCR-|

Will you write
Will you love
Will you enjoy
Life when I am gone?
You will.
by Angelina

"I have lived life as horrible as it was, and as beautiful as it has become."
psychoDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008   #88
Madre
Double Plus Good Mod!

Madre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond repute

gay
III.IIVIVIXIIVIVIIIVVIIIIXVIIIXIIIIIIIIVIIIIVVIIIV IIVIIIIIIVIII - Solomon (I Kings 7:23)
Madre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008   #89
psychoDiablo
Thx for the memories

psychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by Madre View Post
gay
I believe that sums up this whole thing.

Chillin is cooperating with your surroundings, unknowing'st of what everything is capable of; and all the while, as it happens and after, to accept without any thought of good or bad, but mainly, just enjoying rather deeply, the moment you had to sit and think. (Not thinking.)

|-Mr.MCR-|

Will you write
Will you love
Will you enjoy
Life when I am gone?
You will.
by Angelina

Old 11-10-2008   #90
foxyphoenix

Quote:
Originally Said by psychoDiablo View Post
It's Adam & Eve. Not Adam & Steve. lol
Quote:
Originally Said by Daniel Tosh
God made Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve! Do you want to know the answer between religion and gays? I'll tell you: look in the Bible, look at Adam and Even and the Garden of Eden. We all know who sinned first. C'mon ladies, do you have to eat everything? No, no, I know you were hungry and there was a snake talking to you; stick to that story, we've bought it this long. It's kind of cute, too. Now God has to punish all of mankind.
What was woman's punishment? Do you know? Painful childbirth, menstrual cycles.
Man's punishment? We have to deal with women.
That's why I get upset when people say, 'God hates gays.' God doesn't hate gay people; he's just mad because they found a loophole in the system.
As much as you claim that women are conniving gold-diggers and that we're all out to get nice boys just to hurt them, I think you're just jealous of the homosexual men because they don't have to deal with us. =)

-
Carl Sagan

-
Charles Darwin

-
Chief Seattle

Almost Smart Store

Old 11-10-2008   #91
Madre
Double Plus Good Mod!

Madre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I believe that sums up this whole thing.
Exactly the whole point, but your outdated bumper-sticker expression was really "gay."
III.IIVIVIXIIVIVIIIVVIIIIXVIIIXIIIIIIIIVIIIIVVIIIV IIVIIIIIIVIII - Solomon (I Kings 7:23)
Madre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008   #92
psychoDiablo
Thx for the memories

What are you talking about chick? I love you women.

|-Mr.MCR-|

Will you write
Will you love
Will you enjoy
Life when I am gone?
You will.
by Angelina

Old 11-11-2008   #93
foxyphoenix

Quote:
What are you talking about chick? I love you women.
Really?

Quote:
A Man is A man and he's asking ONE specific women to be his ultimate lady. They divorce because that lady is a conniving son of a bitch out to get him.
Quote:
first off, understand why he decides to marry ONE woman for the rest of HIS life..if that aint love then i dont know what is.

but with divorce being more common now a days-----why would a man want to love JUST ONE female, who will in turn steal his soul?
Quote:

oh and + most women are evil conniving whore bastards.
Quote:

you broads need to get your shit under control. you american bitches are getting away with too much and you're going to bring doomsday faster than youre little evil conniving no shred of human decency mind of yours can think to scheme your slimy trail of excess baggage and very bad decisions that is your life onto someone else while you take your grubby little hands, reaping everything you touch and slither away! Coward! Whore! Evil doer! YOU GET BACK HERE AND TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR DAMN SELF!
These seem to indicate quite the opposite.

-
Carl Sagan

-
Charles Darwin

-
Chief Seattle

Almost Smart Store

Old 11-11-2008   #94
GoddessDivine
I move the stars for no one.

GoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to GoddessDivine Send a message via Skype™ to GoddessDivine

^ah foxy, we all know pD has issues with women. Maybe he was once burned and vowed to never be hurt again and puts this front up. But in a way aren't you glad he is not with a woman the way he talks?
-Obi Wan

GoddessDivine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008   #95
Blackass
groingrabbingly good!

Blackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Blackass

Gay Rights Activists threaten an old lady, throw a cross she was holding to the ground, stomp on it, and intimidate her for a full five minutes. Fun stuff.

http://gatorgop.blogspot.com/2008/11...-at-no-on.html
Blackass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008   #96
foxyphoenix

Quote:
Originally Said by Bleed Black View Post
Gay Rights Activists threaten an old lady, throw a cross she was holding to the ground, stomp on it, and intimidate her for a full five minutes. Fun stuff.

As if anti-gay rights people are all non-violent, generally likable people:

Man beats two lesbians in front of their child at an elementary school.

I'm not insinuating that this in any way negates the horror that the elderly women faced--no matter what her beliefs she does not deserve to be assaulted--but that a one-sided presentation of events (i.e. only the ones that fit your argument) is misleading.

-
Carl Sagan

-
Charles Darwin

-
Chief Seattle

Almost Smart Store

Old 11-12-2008   #97
Yugoloth
-----

Yugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Yugoloth

Click on Bleed's link, watch the video, which is hilarious, and then scroll down and read the comments. Comedy gold. One guy says that gays have reptile brains, and marrying a woman will make their brains into a human brains.
Yugoloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008   #98
Blackass
groingrabbingly good!

Blackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Blackass

Quote:
Originally Said by foxyphoenix View Post
As if anti-gay rights people are all non-violent, generally likable people:

Man beats two lesbians in front of their child at an elementary school.

I'm not insinuating that this in any way negates the horror that the elderly women faced--no matter what her beliefs she does not deserve to be assaulted--but that a one-sided presentation of events (i.e. only the ones that fit your argument) is misleading.
Oh I didn't mean to make it an argument. And yeah, there are assholes on both sides. Just wanted to share that video somewhere.
Blackass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008   #99
my.dragons.lady
happy heretic

my.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by Bleed Black View Post

As Andy (gay friend who passed away in 2005 from pancreatic cancer) has/would have said to me, "looks like someone crashed someone else's party and got booted. If there had been a legitimate violation, those bad old fudgepacking, muffmunching freaks would have been immediately shutdown and hauled away without incident."

It's common practice for people to stay with their groups or "side" at ralllies for the very reason shown at the video link you posted. I don't know about elsewhere, but those I've been to in IL, OH, VA, FL and CA were patroled by police, some more than others. (The VVAW rallies always are because people expect crazy armed vets to be present. They do come.)

The point though, is opposing sides generally maintain distance on their own or are kept separate. If anyone was pushing limits and being obnoxious, it was the lady with the cross who didn't stay put.

For all anyone knows, some or all of that could have been staged for publicity to benefit one side or the other. If it was, I suspect it was the lady with the cross. Sometimes any kind of attention serves a purpose, ya know?

"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need." ~~ Cicero

"Let food be your medicine and medicine be your food." ~~ Hippocrates

"Trust, but verify." ~~ Damon Runyon * Said to me by Andy Stephenson of Hacking Democracy, in memory of and one account. Miss you much, Andy.
my.dragons.lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008   #100
psychoDiablo
Thx for the memories

FOXY CHICK,

That has made me laugh. You actually went back thru my posts to find stuff I have said. It only looks bad because you have 5 different quotes, but each quote says the same thing. Same word. Conniving. And females are, they have told me this and I've learned it from them.

But anyway, Don't act like I don't know how to treat a lady. You should have seen me when I was a teenager.

Dana, I've been burned by girls who weren't even my girlfriend.

Dont get me wrong ever, I truly love you women. I think women are just too fuckin fine and beautiful. You just aint gonna control me with your boobs anymore, that's all.

That and I've been listening to too much Tom Leykis . Most of the females here probably would hate this guy, but seeing is the chicks here are kinda smart, you may dig what he says.

|-Mr.MCR-|

Will you write
Will you love
Will you enjoy
Life when I am gone?
You will.
by Angelina