Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > The Lounge > Debate & Politics

Debate & Politics Fight! Fight! Fight! Keep your arguments clean, and be constructive about getting your point across.

Old 11-07-2004   #1
Dill Doe

Dill Doe is just really niceDill Doe is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to Dill Doe
Same Sex Marriage Debate

Ok im doing a debate in my Gr.11 english class, and im practically dumb founded when it comes to argue over going AGAINST same sex marriage, meaning im FOR it.
And i need some pointers from all you good arrguing bitchy people about going FOR same sex marriage.

Try to tell me what to say and how to come back their arguments...
I hate talking in public, expecially across the classroom with 37 people.

Plz help, thanks guys.

Go Fukitol!

"Our lips touched, then she crossed her legs and broke my glasses."

Dill Doe's Rules for Life:

1.Life is sexually transmitted

2.Kids in the back seat cause accidents; accidents in the back seat cause kids, protection is critical.

3.One tequila, two tequila, three tequila, FLOOR
Dill Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004   #2
Yugoloth
-----

Yugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Yugoloth
Re: Same Sex Marriage Debate

http://www.almostsmart.com/forums/sh...7&page=1&pp=20

17 pages of stuff.
Yugoloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004   #3
spadetje
pretty in life & pretty in death

spadetje The Angel of Almost Smartspadetje The Angel of Almost Smartspadetje The Angel of Almost Smartspadetje The Angel of Almost Smartspadetje The Angel of Almost Smartspadetje The Angel of Almost Smartspadetje The Angel of Almost Smartspadetje The Angel of Almost Smartspadetje The Angel of Almost Smartspadetje The Angel of Almost Smartspadetje The Angel of Almost Smart
Send a message via ICQ to spadetje Send a message via AIM to spadetje Send a message via MSN to spadetje

Man, I was hoping to get that debate because I knew there was so much info on this site. Look through the debates, they are really good for this.

But no no i got stuck with capital punishment...

.TranceAddicted.
.Hardcore.Hardstyle.Trance.
spadetje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004   #4
Blackass
groingrabbingly good!

Blackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Blackass

For or against?
Blackass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004   #5
spadetje
pretty in life & pretty in death

spadetje The Angel of Almost Smartspadetje The Angel of Almost Smartspadetje The Angel of Almost Smartspadetje The Angel of Almost Smartspadetje The Angel of Almost Smartspadetje The Angel of Almost Smartspadetje The Angel of Almost Smartspadetje The Angel of Almost Smartspadetje The Angel of Almost Smartspadetje The Angel of Almost Smartspadetje The Angel of Almost Smart
Send a message via ICQ to spadetje Send a message via AIM to spadetje Send a message via MSN to spadetje

against it's not so bad since I did the exact same deabte two years ago.

.TranceAddicted.
.Hardcore.Hardstyle.Trance.
spadetje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004   #6
Blackass
groingrabbingly good!

Blackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond repute

Against is prbably the easier side, just say that the country is not God and therefore has no right to take away what it canno give back.
Old 11-08-2004   #7
Weasel
Ich lasse deine Nächte zum Tag werden!

Weasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Weasel Send a message via MSN to Weasel Send a message via Yahoo to Weasel

Arguments FOR:
* Not allowing gays to marry is practically like not allowing blacks, or any other minority, to marry. It's discriminating.
* Not allowing gay marriage denies rights that any couple should have, like hospital visitations, tax relief, etc, etc.

Arguments AGAINST:
* Evolution tends to weed out what is bad for genetics. Strictly speaking, if homosexuality were encouraged to the point where everyone was homosexual, evolution would weed us out. I'll let you figure out the details on this.
* Adopted children will grow up in a family with two moms or two dads, kinda strange.
* Because the bible says so. (this is the weakest argument in my opinion, the bible says about a million things that are either contradictory or ignored by the church today. Read Lev., Exodus, and the old testament in general to see what I mean).

Almost Smart Admin
Email Me or PM Me

Weasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004   #8
Summer Gurl
She shines like the summer sun

Summer Gurl has a reputation beyond reputeSummer Gurl has a reputation beyond reputeSummer Gurl has a reputation beyond reputeSummer Gurl has a reputation beyond reputeSummer Gurl has a reputation beyond reputeSummer Gurl has a reputation beyond reputeSummer Gurl has a reputation beyond reputeSummer Gurl has a reputation beyond reputeSummer Gurl has a reputation beyond reputeSummer Gurl has a reputation beyond reputeSummer Gurl has a reputation beyond repute

God made marriage between a man and a women, not a man and a man or a Women and a Women. Thats all that really needs to be said!

Summer Gurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004   #9
Weasel

Weasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Weasel Send a message via MSN to Weasel Send a message via Yahoo to Weasel

Quote:
Originally Said by Mount_Zion23
God made marriage between a man and a women, not a man and a man or a Women and a Women. Thats all that really needs to be said!
See my last bullet point.

Almost Smart Admin
Email Me or PM Me

Old 11-08-2004   #10
Summer Gurl

Summer Gurl has a reputation beyond reputeSummer Gurl has a reputation beyond reputeSummer Gurl has a reputation beyond reputeSummer Gurl has a reputation beyond reputeSummer Gurl has a reputation beyond reputeSummer Gurl has a reputation beyond reputeSummer Gurl has a reputation beyond reputeSummer Gurl has a reputation beyond reputeSummer Gurl has a reputation beyond reputeSummer Gurl has a reputation beyond reputeSummer Gurl has a reputation beyond repute

Yes i do see it..... Weak... so the lords words are weak.... Intresting!

Old 11-08-2004   #11
Weasel

Quote:
Yes i do see it..... Weak... so the lords words are weak.... Intresting!
I said it was a weak argument used by debators because no one takes the bible literally anymore. It's interpreted by the church to be relevant in modern times.

Almost Smart Admin
Email Me or PM Me

Old 11-08-2004   #12
Summer Gurl

No one eh? Umm speek for yourself.

I would haft to say .. you might this it is weak but it is the truth. If god wanted it to be like that then he would have made Adam and Adam

Old 11-08-2004   #13
Weasel

Quote:
Do you believe your daughter should be sold into slavery (Exodus 21:7)?

(this is getting off-topic)

Almost Smart Admin
Email Me or PM Me

Old 11-08-2004   #14
Summer Gurl

I never said i don’t go with all the books in the bible. Just some

Umm and selling... well for one we are in the 20th century now and i would never sell my daughter. Even back then i still would not sell her.

Old 11-08-2004   #15
psychopatpl
*PAC MAN*

psychopatpl is respected by allpsychopatpl is respected by allpsychopatpl is respected by allpsychopatpl is respected by allpsychopatpl is respected by allpsychopatpl is respected by allpsychopatpl is respected by all
Send a message via AIM to psychopatpl Send a message via MSN to psychopatpl Send a message via Yahoo to psychopatpl

...wow

(does she know that she does that? lmfao)
Old 11-08-2004   #16
Weasel

Quote:
Originally Said by Weasel
I said it was a weak argument used by debators because no one takes the bible literally anymore. It's interpreted by the church to be relevant in modern times.
Quote:
Umm and selling... well for one we are in the 20th century now and i would never sell my daughter. Even back then i still would not sell her.
What are we debating again? Your confusing me.

Almost Smart Admin
Email Me or PM Me

Old 11-08-2004   #17
ImpossibleDreamer
Experienced Member

ImpossibleDreamer is just really niceImpossibleDreamer is just really nice

Did 11 states really vote against "gay marraige" last week? A closer look:

The gay marriage deception

By Thomas Oliphant, Boston Globe Columnist November 7, 2004

THE NEWS media have grossly misreported the contents of state referendum questions targeting Americans who are apparently seen as more dangerous to national security than John Kerry -- gay people.

The press has over and over again referred to these measures as banning gay marriage. In fact that is only accurate regarding three of the 11 initiatives passed last week.

Marriage was used as the cover for the far more consequential effort to strip contractual rights from gay couples who have formed hundreds of thousands of families in recent years across the United States.

Just for the record, the three states whose initiatives last week refer only to the granting of marriage licenses are Montana, Oregon (the one place where the vote was very close), and Mississippi.

The states that used marriage as a cover to mount an assault on contractual relationships of all kinds were Arkansas, Georgia, Kentucky, Michigan, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, and Utah.

In the official exit poll Tuesday night, 27 percent of the voters said they support full marriage rights, 35 percent supported civil unions, and only 27 percent oppose any legal rights for same-sex couples.

The voters approved a measure opposed substantively by 62 percent of the very same voters.

The laws directly challenge both the contract and the equal protection clauses of the US Constitution.
ImpossibleDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004   #18
Rock ur socks
and i'll rock them hard too !

Rock ur socks is divineRock ur socks is divineRock ur socks is divineRock ur socks is divineRock ur socks is divineRock ur socks is divineRock ur socks is divineRock ur socks is divineRock ur socks is divine
Send a message via AIM to Rock ur socks Send a message via Yahoo to Rock ur socks

Quote:

I would haft to say .. you might this it is weak but it is the truth. If god wanted it to be like that then he would have made Adam and Adam

As far as I know, God doesn't make mistakes. It has be proven that being homosexual is biologically determined -- some brain cells are different sizes. The All knowing, All powerful, and All good God created humans and it's not a mistake that he biologically programed some people to be homosexual.
Rock ur socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004   #19
Summer Gurl

Whos talking about mistakes?

Old 11-09-2004   #20
Blackass
groingrabbingly good!

Quote:
Originally Said by Rock ur socks
As far as I know, God doesn't make mistakes. It has be proven that being homosexual is biologically determined -- some brain cells are different sizes. The All knowing, All powerful, and All good God created humans and it's not a mistake that he biologically programed some people to be homosexual.
Quote:
Originally Said by APA
There are numerous theories about the origins of a person's sexual orientation; most scientists today agree that sexual orientation is most likely the result of a complex interaction of environmental, cognitive and biological factors. In most people, sexual orientation is shaped at an early age. There is also considerable recent evidence to suggest that biology, including genetic or inborn hormonal factors, play a significant role in a person's sexuality. In summary, it is important to recognize that there are probably many reasons for a person's sexual orientation and the reasons may be different for different people.
Homosexuality is not completely biological, nor is it completely a choice. You may beborn with a tendency towards homosexuality, much like I am born with a tendency to alcoholism, but you are not simply born gay.

I'm not trying to compare homosexuality with a disease, but this is a good example because alcoholism is not simply biological, there is choice involved as well.

My information came from the APA, whom I disagree with later in their overview of homosexuality, but I felt the need to point this out because it makes the most sense.