Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > Media Room > Gamers Hangout

Gamers Hangout Forum for game addicts. PC or console.

Old 11-19-2002   #1
The_Vid

The_Vid has made a few great posts
Send a message via AIM to The_Vid
Fun times hosting an online game!

So I saw 3 office pictures of two dudes who host their own online game. I saw the 4 server computers they had up and 3 other HP's they used as well. This was the coolest thing I have seen in a while. I would very much enjoy being part of a team of dudes who host their own online game out of their basement or something. That would be so cool. The only problem is I have no idea where to start but I was wondering if any of you guys might. So if any of you guys are interested in or know anything about hosting a online game or just running a server for that matter give me a yell and stuff. Im pretty good with hardware and networking. Ive built most of the computers I own and currently have a 5 station peer to peer network in my basement so I guess that is a start. I dunno, just an idea, thought I would put it out there......
-Vid-
The_Vid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002   #2
Weasel
Ich lasse deine Nächte zum Tag werden!

Weasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Weasel Send a message via MSN to Weasel Send a message via Yahoo to Weasel
5 Station network? Damn dude get over to www.ud.com and start put those computers to work doing something useful like cancer research. Why not join the almost smart UD team? Click here for more information/instructions.

As for hosting a server, yea that would be cool, just get a T1 running in your house and your set . Just kidding, a cable modem or DSL line is fine for web hosting. DSL will be OK for any kind of gaming application, but cable sucks.

If you know nothing about running a server and your not sure about how to get one up and running start off with something small like a web or ftp server, that way you can make sure everything is working like its supposed to (your firewalls aren't getting in the way etc..). Download and install a copy of Xitami, once that's installed you should be able to to type http://yourIPaddress into any web browser and it will point to your c:\xitami\webpages folder.

Moving along, the cheapest and most addicting thing that people will want to play is half-life/TFC/counter-strike/day of defeat, so go spend the $15 at target and pick up a copy of HL and then download all the mods, patches, and server extension [all free!].

You'll be able to host games on your network no problem, but the speed of games on the net all depends on your internet connection.

Let me know if you have anything you would like me to clarify or be more specific on.

Almost Smart Admin
Email Me or PM Me

Weasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002   #3
poopy
The ?mægå Mån

poopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to poopy
wow.....

none this makes any sense to me. i guess i spend too much time playing return to castle wolfenstein
BEWARE: When eating snacks remember that the fruit roll-up factory feels the need to endanger our lives with a potentially suffocatingly thin transluscent plastic. I am outraged and currently on my way out the door to start a petition for a boycott of any and all fruit roll-up snacks. Please send me a message or post your name, telephone number, and address, and some one will be by to get your signature. Thank You
poopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002   #4
Silent Assassin
Experienced Member

Silent Assassin is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Silent Assassin Send a message via AIM to Silent Assassin Send a message via MSN to Silent Assassin Send a message via Yahoo to Silent Assassin
ARGH... I'm tired of these crappy graphics games... I want some games run on the UT2003 Engine!

It would be cool to have Day of Defeat run on the UT 2003 engine
Silent Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002   #5
The_Vid

The_Vid has made a few great posts
Send a message via AIM to The_Vid
yeah, i know i cant start hosting anything yet as i am still connected with a 56k line. (it actually runs at about 28k because my life sucks) but i figure now is the time to get some information and research under my belt. Altho i am considering on transfering out to CU boulder or UNC next year so you never do know what will happen. but with any luck i can plop myself down in an apartment in the city, get cable or dsl, and host away!
The_Vid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002   #6
Weasel
Ich lasse deine Nächte zum Tag werden!

Weasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Weasel Send a message via MSN to Weasel Send a message via Yahoo to Weasel
Good luck trying to run a server at UNC, they forward all their internet connection using NAT or some gay protocol, cheap. So basically every computer goes through a proxy and as far as the outside world is considered UNC just has one computer with lots and lots of people using it.

Almost Smart Admin
Email Me or PM Me

Weasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002   #7
Zero
Super Moderator

Zero is a splendid one to beholdZero is a splendid one to beholdZero is a splendid one to beholdZero is a splendid one to beholdZero is a splendid one to beholdZero is a splendid one to beholdZero is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Zero
Fuck UNC.

Zero is offline   Reply With Quote