Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > The Lounge > Sports

Old 06-15-2010   #1
Funk*Sonic*7
Im super cereal!

Location: Randomly by chance out of nowhere, b/c that's more plausible
Funk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond repute
Core Training

I'm finally incorporating Core Training into my weekly workout routine. It's a lot of variation using one to two bosu balls, resistance bands, medicine balls, and weights. I recommend that everybody learn core training no matter what your age, biological sex (there are only 2), or fitness level is...workouts can be scaled accordingly, but you will always feel the burn.

I'm working in a gym/fitness center right now, and love it!

I pretty much handle my work duties between my workouts, and lately I've been doing 2-3 different workouts each day. Business is picking up though, so my ability to workout that often isn't going to last long.
I'm taking full advantage as much as I can now in order to get into the best shape of my life. I'm shadowing a trainer who's an exercise physiologist on a daily basis, and learning so much.

I also pick Yugo's brain on here from time-to-time.
Yugo definitely knows his stuff!
"God is the shaper of your heart. God does not display his work in abstract terms. He prefers the concrete, and this means that at the end of your life one of three things will happen to your heart: it will grow hard, it will be broken, or it will be tender. Nobody escapes." - Ravi Zacharias

Last edited by Funk*Sonic*7; 05-10-2017 at 06:38 PM.
Funk*Sonic*7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010   #2
SpudNuts
Just Bubblin'

SpudNuts has a reputation beyond reputeSpudNuts has a reputation beyond reputeSpudNuts has a reputation beyond reputeSpudNuts has a reputation beyond reputeSpudNuts has a reputation beyond reputeSpudNuts has a reputation beyond reputeSpudNuts has a reputation beyond reputeSpudNuts has a reputation beyond reputeSpudNuts has a reputation beyond reputeSpudNuts has a reputation beyond reputeSpudNuts has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to SpudNuts
Re: Core Training

Yeah, started core training a few months ago just to add the balance. got a mate who's a bit of a fitness freak to show me some basic moves to strengthen core muscles and things. Really surprised at the difference it makes just to focus a little more on the muscles that you don't really think about using most of the time, especially on the back.

Do feel a tube doing some of them though like "Aquaman" and "the plank" though!

Alba gu brŗth
SpudNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010   #3
Funk*Sonic*7
Im super cereal!

Funk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by SpudNuts View Post
Yeah, started core training a few months ago just to add the balance. got a mate who's a bit of a fitness freak to show me some basic moves to strengthen core muscles and things. Really surprised at the difference it makes just to focus a little more on the muscles that you don't really think about using most of the time, especially on the back.

Do feel a tube doing some of them though like "Aquaman" and "the plank" though!
I hear you. Core Training is fairly new to me, so my core needs a lot of work. My abs are really sore from it, and my legs and gluts are sore too from hypertrophy. Then today, I did hypertrophy on my chest today. I'm sore from head-to-toe right now. And I still need to do shoulders and arms within the next 2 days.

I've been doing hypertrophy weight training and almost 2 hours of cardio (not all at once) each day. On Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, I participate in our gym's boot camp 1 hour long classes, which is essentially athletic conditioning and muscle endurance training. The boot camps are intense, and we do them outside in hot humid 90-100 degree weather here in Florida. I only do Core training once a week at this point, but trying to find time to add another day of it each week. I don't have any lower back problems, but I'd like to strengthen it. I'm also trying to figure different ways to strengthen my wrists and ankles. During the boot camps, I can barely do bear crawls, because it kills my wrists.
"God is the shaper of your heart. God does not display his work in abstract terms. He prefers the concrete, and this means that at the end of your life one of three things will happen to your heart: it will grow hard, it will be broken, or it will be tender. Nobody escapes." - Ravi Zacharias

Last edited by Funk*Sonic*7; 08-24-2016 at 05:43 PM.
Old 06-19-2010   #4
Yugoloth
-----

Yugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Yugoloth

These days I do farmer's walks for my grip and core, they're a bit less monotonous than plate pinches or typical core work. Pullups also hit both the grip and the core pretty hard.

If you want to boost your ankle strength, try standing on one foot on the soft side of a BOSU ball. Also, if you typically do your calf raises seated or standing, you're soleus probably lags behind your gastrocnemius. Do donkey calf raises to target the soleus.
Yugoloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010   #5
Funk*Sonic*7
Im super cereal!

^ I work with 2 trainers: 1 is great for bodybuilding and working around injuries, the other great for muscle endurance and athletic conditioning, both are great with core training even though they both have a different way of doing core. I will tell them about what you suggested, and have them teach me. Thanks!

Last edited by Funk*Sonic*7; 08-24-2016 at 05:41 PM.
Old 06-19-2010   #6
Funk*Sonic*7
Im super cereal!

I don't think have trained as hard, pushed myself as much, and have done such a variety of workout routines...than what I have done in the last 2 weeks: I do hypertrophy weight training every morning (Monday- Legs, Tues- Back, Wed- Chest, Thurs- Legs, Fri- Shoulders and Arms) with 30 minutes of cardio before and after. Then around lunch time, I do some core training, then at night I do another hour of cardio. And on top of all that, Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, I do athletic conditioning training/military training style boot camp for an hour.

I'm literally walking around sore as hell from head-to-toe. For example, my biceps are so sore that when I lift my arms up to shave my face, it's a fight to put enough pressure on my face with the razor to get a smooth shave.

So today (Saturday) is my day of rest...I ran some errands this morning, but I've just been sleeping and resting on and off all day...I don't think I'm even going to go out tonight. Tomorrow (Sunday), it's back in the gym for 2 hours of cardio and stretching to get myself warmed-up and ready for another week of training.

I've recently started drinking pickle juice for recovery purposes...
it has a ton more electrolytes than Gatorade and without the sugar content too

Last edited by Funk*Sonic*7; 06-19-2010 at 10:21 PM.
Old 07-02-2010   #7
Yugoloth
-----

Yugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Yugoloth

Do you have some recovery time programmed in? Overtraining is a bitch
Yugoloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010   #8
Funk*Sonic*7
Im super cereal!

^ Yeah, the weekends...Saturday and Sundays, I either don't workout at all or just do about an hour of low intensity cardio and static stretches. I figured I scale back on Sundays too, because I was feeling like I was about to crash and burn last week. I increased my complex carbs and my low glycemic consumption of fruit a couple more servings a day. My carbs are limited to just veggies after 2-3pm though. Fruit, I consume only immediately after a workout, but I'm consuming one or 2 servings more than I was before. All this seems to be helping considerably, because I don't feel the crash and burn feeling that I was at this time last week.

I'm probably going to scale back on the endurance training boot camps and replace it with Yoga classes...eventually would like to do both since they're held on different days.
I need to loosen up my hamstrings, and loosen up and strengthen my hip-flexors BIG TIME.

Last edited by Funk*Sonic*7; 08-23-2016 at 11:55 PM.