Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > The Lounge > The Blog

The Blog Post the crazy happenings in your life here. If it's interesting enough it may be moved to the main news page.

Old 10-31-2009   #1
EmperorChaos
Ruin you like this website.

Location: Charleston, South Carolina, United States, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster
EmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to EmperorChaos Send a message via AIM to EmperorChaos Send a message via MSN to EmperorChaos Send a message via Yahoo to EmperorChaos
Two Years Ago...

I had a job.

Now I have another one. Yes, that's right. After not working for two years and only making the occasional money by selling things or doing computer repair work for friends and family, I've got a job as a PC technician/salesperson at Office Depot.

I start Monday morning at 8am.

My last jobs sucked and weren't things I enjoyed doing. Working with technology is something I've always enjoyed and I am glad to be doing that again.

I'm not thrilled with the sexist dress code that requires that my hair be cut to shoulder length because I do not want shoulder length hair. I want long hair. Women can wear their hair long. Why can I not? So I'll likely just cut most of my hair off and go back to having short hair. I am also not thrilled that I have to wear black pants. I have nothing against black pants. I just have loads of khaki pants. Now I am required to purchase black pants. Fuck a dress code.

Anyway... this is a good thing for in a few months I'll be eligible for benefits.
The first thing that came into being, void and without form, a lifeless lump, unfashioned and unframed, the Prima Materia from which all comes, influenced by forms and given structure by matter it becomes all that is, with increase in entropy it is into which all shall fall, endlessly and in all directions, a self-reflexive paradox.
-=-=-=-
"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." -Isaac Asimov
EmperorChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009   #2
Zanahoria_Picante
Orange you glad she's not a banana?

Zanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Two Years Ago...

Congratulations! :D

So, they finally finished your drug test? o_O

Also, yeah, I hate dress codes. They won't let me fully dress like the Joker this year - with the suit and such - without wearing the normal uniform under it! Do you realize how hot it gets in the deli with just the suit (or uniform) alone?! It would be like working in a sweatshop more than usual!

*Ahem* Anyway...
slight exaggeration/insanity/tangents aside...

That is awesome. I hope that goes well for you, Chaos. ;)

..| |
.| | |
_____
\ love /-|
-\__/--|

"When I first read the dictionary, I thought it was a long poem about everything."
Steven Wright

;
Zanahoria_Picante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009   #3
EmperorChaos

Location: Charleston, South Carolina, United States, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster
EmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to EmperorChaos Send a message via AIM to EmperorChaos Send a message via MSN to EmperorChaos Send a message via Yahoo to EmperorChaos

Thank you Zana.

Actually, I was waiting more recently on the results of my background check. Remember, I applied for and was interviewed for this job five weeks ago. After two drug tests and one background check, I have the results.

The first drug test's results were apparently sent to the manager of another Office Depot which is why I had to take the second drug test.
The first thing that came into being, void and without form, a lifeless lump, unfashioned and unframed, the Prima Materia from which all comes, influenced by forms and given structure by matter it becomes all that is, with increase in entropy it is into which all shall fall, endlessly and in all directions, a self-reflexive paradox.
-=-=-=-
"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." -Isaac Asimov
Old 10-31-2009   #4
Zanahoria_Picante

Zanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond repute

Wow! Efficient!

But good that you finally got the job. Quite good indeed. Do you feel like you're prepared?

..| |
.| | |
_____
\ love /-|
-\__/--|

"When I first read the dictionary, I thought it was a long poem about everything."
Steven Wright

;
Old 10-31-2009   #5
EmperorChaos

Well, I think I'll do fine. I mean, I'm gonna be mostly repair computers and/or selling them. And I'm quite good at both. I'll also have to know other aspects of the store, other office supplies, but I already know a good deal about them from Circuit City. There are also camcorders and digital cameras, computer monitors, computer peripherals, computer accessories, printers, printing accessories, etc. I've got experience with all of that at Circuit City.

I also make commission based on my sales so I expect to make a lot of money by selling people extras and "peace of mind" in the form of extended warranties.

I'll admit that I am a little nervous about starting a job again after not working so long but one benefit I have to my advantage is that, since I have been going into the store often in an attempt to get the job, I've become familiar with many of the employees.
-=-=-=-
Old 10-31-2009   #6
GoddessDivine
I move the stars for no one.

GoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to GoddessDivine Send a message via Skype™ to GoddessDivine

you have to wear black pants but what about the type of shirt? Also do not yell at anyone. Easing back into the workforce can be traumatic, I hope to never do it.
-Obi Wan

GoddessDivine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009   #7
EmperorChaos

They provide the shirt. Button-up white Office Depot shirts.

Also, when have I ever yelled at someone?
-=-=-=-
Old 10-31-2009   #8
Pittielynn
sweet, funny and down-right CUTE!

Pittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond repute

Since when did Office Depot require a drug test be done? Thats kind of ridiculous...

"Be strong while it's hard and laugh at it after it's over. You just gotta live." - Spadetje

All along I believed I would find you.
Time has brought your heart to me,
I have loved you for a thousand years.
I'll love you for a thousand more...
...One step closer.
o.O♠O.o

Almost Smart Store
Almost Smart Arcade
Pittielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009   #9
blackheart
Miss Rosemary

blackheart has a reputation beyond reputeblackheart has a reputation beyond reputeblackheart has a reputation beyond reputeblackheart has a reputation beyond reputeblackheart has a reputation beyond reputeblackheart has a reputation beyond reputeblackheart has a reputation beyond reputeblackheart has a reputation beyond reputeblackheart has a reputation beyond reputeblackheart has a reputation beyond reputeblackheart has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats, hope it all goes well. At least it's something you enjoy doing, theres nothing worse than dreading getting up in the morning.

I hate the whole thing about guys cutting their hair thing as well, unless of course it's around food. But I don't see the difference & honestly think most people these days think it's acceptable for guys to have long hair.
blackheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009   #10
foxyphoenix
Ubi dubium, ibi libertas.

foxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations.

Rachael! They won't let you dress up as the Joker!?!? That's so sad... you looked friggin' awesome last year.

(On a side note, in my morning-zombie state I managed to dress up as a cowgirl for work this morning. No one has noticed. Sigh... you know you're already considered a hick when...)

"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
-
Carl Sagan

"It is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."
-
Charles Darwin

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, man would die from a great loneliness of the spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected."
-
Chief Seattle

Almost Smart Store

foxyphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009   #11
GoddessDivine
I move the stars for no one.

GoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to GoddessDivine Send a message via Skype™ to GoddessDivine

Quote:
Originally Said by EmperorChaos View Post
They provide the shirt. Button-up white Office Depot shirts.

Also, when have I ever yelled at someone?
not long ago when you yelled in a bar to anyone who was within ear shot "Do you see what happens, Larry, WHEN YOU FUCK A STRANGER IN THE ASS?"
-Obi Wan

GoddessDivine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009   #12
EmperorChaos

^Oh yeah.

Hahaha, I watched The Big Lebowski AGAIN this morning.
-=-=-=-
Old 11-01-2009   #13
Zanahoria_Picante

Quote:
Originally Said by foxyphoenix View Post
Rachael! They won't let you dress up as the Joker!?!? That's so sad... you looked friggin' awesome last year.
Thanks! :D Welll...I could still wear the make-up, which I did, but I just didn't wear the suit, because of, yeah, the whole "having to wear 3 (no, 4!, actually 5!) layers of clothes in a hot kitchen (basically)" thing. But yes, the irony of wearing the make-up with my regular Walmart garb was almost more amusing. >:)

I will post some photos here on AS, methinks.

Quote:
(On a side note, in my morning-zombie state I managed to dress up as a cowgirl for work this morning. No one has noticed. Sigh... you know you're already considered a hick when...)
Haha. :D

..| |
.| | |
_____
\ love /-|
-\__/--|

Steven Wright

;
Old 11-01-2009   #14
oceandream130
Future star of a Zach Braff film!

oceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats, chico (erm...hombre?)!

Dress codes can be so confining sometimes; that is quite absurd about the hair length and about ZP's inability to wear her suit (why on earth would they demand you wear your uniform under your suit...am I missing something here? 0_0). Good luck!

Zana, I saw your Joker pictures on facebook - you looked fantastic!
Old 11-01-2009   #15
EmperorChaos

Now I have to be at work in eight hours and fifteen minutes.

I still have to shave tomorrow morning when I wake up but I haven't cut my hair yet.

It's not like they can do anything about that though. When I was first told of the dress code, I asked to see it in writing. I then read the entire three pages concerning their dress code and I also noted that I had two weeks to comply with the dress code after signing the form stating I've read it.

So I'll get my hair cut, eventually, probably even tomorrow. I am still not pleased about it as I love having long hair.
-=-=-=-
Old 11-02-2009   #16
Zanahoria_Picante

Quote:
Originally Said by oceandream130 View Post
Congrats, chico (erm...hombre?)!

Dress codes can be so confining sometimes; that is quite absurd about the hair length and about ZP's inability to wear her suit (why on earth would they demand you wear your uniform under your suit...am I missing something here? 0_0). Good luck!

Zana, I saw your Joker pictures on facebook - you looked fantastic!
Heh, well, I guess it was *probably* because some people - some of the guys, mainly - insisted on dressing up as cheerleaders and Dorothy Gail and other such "revealing" costumes. The management then made it a rule that everyone had to wear uniforms under their costumes. Quite pedantic!

And thank you. :D It was just as enjoyable as the first time.

Jason, I hope everything goes well for you tomorrow. No doubt it will. :)

..| |
.| | |
_____
\ love /-|
-\__/--|

Steven Wright

;
Old 11-02-2009   #17
blackheart
Miss Rosemary

blackheart has a reputation beyond reputeblackheart has a reputation beyond reputeblackheart has a reputation beyond reputeblackheart has a reputation beyond reputeblackheart has a reputation beyond reputeblackheart has a reputation beyond reputeblackheart has a reputation beyond reputeblackheart has a reputation beyond reputeblackheart has a reputation beyond reputeblackheart has a reputation beyond reputeblackheart has a reputation beyond repute

Good Luck. I guess if you have 2 weeks, you might aswel leave it as long as you can..maybe by then they won't even notice haha.
blackheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009   #18
EmperorChaos

Yeah, maybe...

But you know, the thing is... the hair on guy's must be "shoulder-length". What exactly does "shoulder-length" mean? If it means hair can be draped about the shoulders, then mine is shoulder length.

Let's see... *pulls hair down* It doesn't reach my clavicle. And the clavicle can be said to be the end of the shoulders, below that would be the chest.

Also, not fair! I barely have a neck! Shoulder-length for me isn't shoulder-length for normal people... the ones with necks. I am no giraffe, you see.

Anyway, I can't sleep anymore. I figure I've done all the sleeping I can do. Work in four hours. I'll be fine.
-=-=-=-
Old 11-02-2009   #19
CrunchBite
explosions are half all the fun

CrunchBite is divineCrunchBite is divineCrunchBite is divineCrunchBite is divineCrunchBite is divineCrunchBite is divineCrunchBite is divineCrunchBite is divine

The hair thing really sucks. I now get mine cut before doing any interviews, one too many gave me an odd look and my hair is rarely down to shoulder length. It really sucks to get it cut now, your head will feel cold for the rest of the winter.
CrunchBite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009   #20
EmperorChaos

I'll manage. I also trimmed my beard tremendously. It's all the same length now, rather than getting progressively longer as it went down my chin.
-=-=-=-

Tags
ec whining again ;), it's about time, jason works, sexism