Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > Media Room > Art & Photography

Art & Photography Right-brained and shutterbug hangout. Post and discuss art and photographs, self-created or otherwise. Also show off your digital graphics, wallpapers, or desktops.

Old 01-20-2009   #141
Christian
Super Moderator

Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Christian
Monday the 19th of January

I did what I've done many mondays before: I tryed to take over the world.. eh.. no, I've gone on my little tour through the 'Tiergarden' to that special place before my classes start.

We got warm temperatures for the last few days and so the snow mostly melted and left ice everywhere.

1 floe1_med.JPG1 floe2_med.JPG1 floe3_med.JPG1 floe4_med.JPG
Ice floes floating over a tiny waterfall.

The big floe on the first two photos wasn't able to push that little one down at first.. it took minutes until both felt down, unfortunatly without warning and so too fast for me.

2 gate1_med.JPG2 gate2_med.JPG
Watergate 15 days later from my last visit, trying to get rid of the ice.

2 icy_med.JPG2 icy2_med.JPG
The warm temperatures made verything icy so I had problems to walk here and there.

3 lake_med.JPG3 kombi6.JPG
The little lake and one more photo for my combination.
The combinated photo is geting to big in its size so i needed to lower the quality a bit by double saving it as jpg.

3 ice1_med.JPG3 ice2_med.JPG
More ice floes at the watergate and playing with my zoom.

3 snow_med.JPG
Last snow on a meadow.

Last edited by foxyphoenix; 01-20-2009 at 04:23 PM.
Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009   #142
my.dragons.lady
happy heretic

my.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Christian's photography and stuff

I love this last one with the snow shimmering in the grass. Must have lots of phosphorous(?) to reflect so much light. Looks like nature scattered tiny chandeliers across the ground

"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need." ~~ Cicero

"Let food be your medicine and medicine be your food." ~~ Hippocrates

"Trust, but verify." ~~ Damon Runyon * Said to me by Andy Stephenson of Hacking Democracy, in memory of and one account. Miss you much, Andy.
my.dragons.lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009   #143
my.dragons.lady
happy heretic

my.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm. Really like those of floes sliding over the waterfalls too. And the ice covered park(?) with the street lamps.

"Trust, but verify." ~~ Damon Runyon * Said to me by Andy Stephenson of Hacking Democracy, in memory of and one account. Miss you much, Andy.
Old 01-20-2009   #144
GoddessDivine
I move the stars for no one.

GoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to GoddessDivine Send a message via Skype™ to GoddessDivine

wow...those pics of the trees...wow!!! It looks so beautiful it almost makes me want cold weather.
-Obi Wan

GoddessDivine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009   #145
my.dragons.lady
happy heretic

I like this one of lights haloed by fog, peering through trees and lying so softly upon the surface of the water.

Old 01-27-2009   #146
Christian
Super Moderator

Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by my.dragons.lady View Post
I love this last one with the snow shimmering in the grass. Must have lots of phosphorous(?) to reflect so much light. Looks like nature scattered tiny chandeliers across the ground
The snow started to be basicly ice so thats what I think made it reflect so much. I liked how the gras started to win against the snow again, even If i would have liked to have much more snow at this point ^^

The floes made me wait on that bridge for a very long time but I realy wanted to try tog et a few nice shots of them. Well... that made that I got to late to my classes. ..But after my last "squirrels hold me up" excuse last time I just needed to say "Ice floes" and it had been fine again

The trees.. uhm.. I love trees and snowey ones even more .. So loved my snow hike especially as it was the first of my monday ones that year.

The fog was awesome too but hard to take good photos from.

To bad that I got the flue after my last monday hike I posted the photos from but I'm slowly geting better and am close to be fit again.

Thanks for all the nice respond :D
Old 01-27-2009   #147
my.dragons.lady
happy heretic

Since you're studying meteorology, what is it about ice that makes it more shiny than snow? I know it becomes more clear and less opaque, so that it reflects light differently. But is snow just more dense from a colder temperature, or it something else?

Good to know you're feeling better. Regular elderberry teas, zinc and vitamin C might prevent another bout.

Old 01-27-2009   #148
Christian
Super Moderator

I just catched the big flue wave runing through germany right now.

The difference is the pattern of the ice/snow crystalls. In the beginning snow has a very fine and big crystal structure and is reflecting much of the light, thats why snow is so white. if snow starts to meld by temperatre, pressure or just the time (snow can als dry out without higher temperatures) those fine crystals are changing into icy ones, the lose there fine structure and so the sun can go deeper inside them and is reflected in them/on a different way..

It's a bit hard to explain, maybe a picture does: here "Snow changing to ice".
Sun is reflecting in another way on such structures then in others.

On my photo, the snow changed to be something like little icy balls.. It wasnt that fine snow from the begin (as it snowed) anymore and the sun was hiting the snow directly and low.
Old 02-01-2009   #149
Christian
Super Moderator

I went on another hike today, on Sunday the 1st of February. This time I went to a big lake called "Wannsee" in the west of Berlin, that is part of a bigger lake system.

The weather was cold with temperatures below the freezing point and we got a thick cloud layer, so the day was all in grey.

I started at noon and reached an hour later the lake:

1 lake1_med.JPG1 lake2_med.JPG
Frozen Lake

The whole lake is framed by woods, mansions and boat bridges..

I climbed up the hills that are around the lake as fences blocked my way along the beach to the famous lido at the "Wannsee" (I just should have taken the frozen lake as new hiking trail to reach it...). Even the paths through the woods had a thick layer of ice on it, but I reached the entrance of the lido soon.

1 lido1_med.JPG1 lido2_med.JPG
The "Lido Wannsee" and prohibition signs at the entrace.. at least you are allowed to swim and to have an ice in there ^^

Unfortunately the whole area was closed (because of the winter.. I realy should have walked over the ice) so I continued my way through the woods.

1 lake3_med.JPG
View from above on the lake.

Somewhere on the hills.. I found something strange a bit aside from the path. It bad been.. actually I have no idea what it is or had been once... but I crawled inside ^^

0 old_5_med.JPG0 old1_med.JPG0 old2_med.JPG0 old3_med.JPG0 old4_med.JPG
Entrance and the inner of that.. thing.. bunker, strange cellar.. whatever.. The last photo is showing the entrace from inside with my backpack hidden as I didn't wanted to get spoted. ..glad I had my flashlight with me ^^

Not far away.. I searched for a way down the hills to get back to the lake but the beach and the lake were still secured with a high fence (so you can't enter the beach without paying). I scared wild hog out of his hideout in the undergrowth while climbing back up.. and that after I finaly reached the top of that slope to get back on a path..

Well.. I don't think it is a good idea to mess with those animals.. you can't imagine how fast I 'walked' that slope down again ^^ I climbed that hill on another place up and walked my old path back to reach the normal trail again.

I finaly reached the lake again and came to a road that was leading on a famous isle called "Schwanenwerder", where many rich and important persons had there mansions many many years ago. To bad there fences had been to high so I wasn't able to take good photos from the the mansions on the isle exept of an old pillar that is a remaining of a former park located on that isle in the 19th century (I think).

2 lake4_med.JPG2 ruin_med.JPG
Lake from the bridge leading on the isle and the old pillar on it.

I left the isle and walked the whole way back to the beach where I started my hike..

2 lake6_med.JPG2 lake5_med.JPG2 lake7_med.JPG
View over the lake and people doing "ice sailing".

I continued my hike and moved to a more public and touristic place: the landing stages where cruise-lines are normaly taking off for there tours around the lakes. That place with its lakeside promenade is often visited by many tourists in the summer.

I followed a side road where many mansions are located at on my way to that place..

3 villa_med.JPG3 villa2_med.JPG
The house on the second building is just the entrance gate to the real one.. looking like a castle, with many conifers infront of it so I wasnt able to take any deeper look or to take a photo from it ..

It got windy and it started to snow more heavy with the wind..

3 lake8_med.JPG3 lake9_med.JPG
Landing stages.. last one with driving snow over the lake.

The snow stopped after a while..

3 ship_med.JPG
Ship "Moby Dick" at the landing stages ^^

I stayed there for a while and walked along the landing stages, following the lakeside promenade..

4 heron1_med.JPG4 heron2_med.JPG4 heron3_med.JPG
Heron waiting close to people that are ice fishing and another heron.

4 lake10_med.JPG
A last view over the lake.

4 lock_med.JPG
Hehe.. Now I felt safe on the ice as it got secured ^^

I found two swans not far away from there.. but it got dark soon so I needed my photoflash

5 swan1_med.JPG5 swan2_med.JPG5 swan3_med.JPG5 swan4_med.JPG5 swan5_med.JPG
Swan! He let me come close to him.. and he came closer and closer..

6 swan6_med.JPG6 swan7_med.JPG6 swan8_med.JPG6 swan9_med.JPG6 swan10_med.JPG
.. and closer, calling his 'gang'

Well.. at this point I started to share my simple sandwich (white bread with a cheese slice) with them (but not the cheese).. as a little thank you.

7 swan11_med.JPG7 swan12_med.JPG
Another swan coming very close to me.. I gave him the last bit of my sandwich..

7 duck_med.JPG
A brave duck right at my feet..

7 heron4_med.JPG
and another heron, watching the scene.

It got too dark and I was freezing aswell as I started to not feel my fingers anymore from taking so much photos, so I went back home (not without paying the heating plant another nightly visit^^).

map.JPG
Map of my hiking route, only 6.28 miles this time.

I realy wish the weather would have been sunnier so the photos would have turned out way better.. but the hike was funny, especially as I havn't done any lately because of a little flue I had and just got well again.

Last edited by Zanahoria_Picante; 02-01-2009 at 07:45 PM.
Old 02-01-2009   #150
GoddessDivine
I move the stars for no one.

GoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to GoddessDivine Send a message via Skype™ to GoddessDivine

^Those pics are great. Did you say "Stop looking at me swan!!!" cause if you did that would have been awesome.
-Obi Wan

GoddessDivine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009   #151
Christian
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Said by GoddessDivine View Post
^Those pics are great. Did you say "Stop looking at me swan!!!" cause if you did that would have been awesome.
Well... he came in superior numbers with all his friends so I kept carefull with what I say

Thanks for the Rep. :D
Old 02-01-2009   #152
Zanahoria_Picante
Orange you glad she's not a banana?

Zanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond repute

All I have to say is this.

..| |
.| | |
_____
\ love /-|
-\__/--|

"When I first read the dictionary, I thought it was a long poem about everything."
Steven Wright

;
Zanahoria_Picante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009   #153
Christian
Super Moderator

Hehe thanks. It needed many (~20) trials(?) to get that guy focused as it had been already a bit to dark for my frozen and shivering hand ^^

More birds to come:

I've done my little monday hike before my classes through the 'Tiergarden' as I did many Mondays before.. on February the 2nd

kombi7b.JPGlake_med.JPG
Another photo of the lake, 2 weeks after the last one. The combination slowly gets too big to upload ^^

bird1_med.JPGbird2_med.JPG
Funny little guy, let me come very close..

birds_med.JPG
Water seems to be too cold this day
Old 02-03-2009   #154
psylo_42
Experienced Member

psylo_42 is divinepsylo_42 is divinepsylo_42 is divinepsylo_42 is divinepsylo_42 is divinepsylo_42 is divinepsylo_42 is divinepsylo_42 is divinepsylo_42 is divinepsylo_42 is divine

pitcarinpete would enjoy those birdy ones.
Humans were meant to work and sweat to earn a living. Those who try to get rich quick or live at the expense of others, all get divine retribution somewhere along the line. That's the lesson. Unfortunately, we quickly forget the lessons we've learned and then we have to learn them all over again. - Jet

Survival of the fittest is the law of nature. We decieve or we are decieved. Thus we flourish or perish. Nothing good ever happened to me when I trusted others. That is the lesson. - Faye

Lesson Lesson!? If you see a stranger, follow him. - Edward

What's the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge - Spike
psylo_42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009   #155
Christian
Super Moderator

The weather was cold and grey on wednesday the 4th of February, but i did another hike to the "Treptower Park" and followed the promenade along the river named "Spree". Well... didn't found many nice things to take photos from this time because the weather made most things look sad and boring.

gull_med.JPG
Gulls at a boat..

goose1_med.JPGgoose2_med.JPG
Two kinds of geese.. The first one was siting on a tiny boat next to a houseboat that is located there, never seen the coloured one before (I think its a goose too), found her at a ferry later.
(Edit: checked an animal-book for the duck and it told me that it's a egyptian goose.)

swan_med.JPG
A swan, a bit angry I think

boat_med.JPG
and another boat.. uh.. "Enfannt Terrible"? "Terrible Child"? What a strange name^^

I followed the way along the river, passed the old and abandoned theme park with the ferris wheel and came to a lonely ferry, crossing the river again and again..

ferry1_med.JPGferry2_med.JPG
Lonely ferry not that far away from to the center of Berlin.. The are looks so forsaken but is still far away from the town limits.

I took the ferry to see what is on the other side.. but I didn't found anything interesting in this time of the year.

The area is like an isle of nothing in the middle of Berlin.. small houses and gardens, some industrie and forrest.. but framed with more developed urban areas..

I went back and took an one hour bus tour home..

Last edited by Zanahoria_Picante; 02-05-2009 at 03:53 PM.
Old 02-11-2009   #156
Christian
Super Moderator

Friday, 6th February. I went home for a longer weekend to my parents place on Thursday and wanted to do that long hike along the river "Oder" again. The weather had been sunny in the bgining but clouds started to cover the sky soon. The temperatures had been around 38.48F, the river had 34.70F and the water level had been 6.46 feet. I wasn't able ti finish my hike this day on my own as it ended with a little suprise for me.

The river had been full of ice floes maybe 2 or 1 week(s) ago, so I came to late.. only some ice on the riverbanks had been left..

1 ffo_med.JPG
Frankfurt and Slubice (Poland)

1 ice1_med.JPG1 ice2_med.JPG1 shell_med.JPG
Left Ice and and shell on the rocks

1 river1_med.JPG
Other riverside (Poland)

2 ice3_med.JPG2 ice4_med.JPG
Stranded ice on a sandbank

2 tree1_med.JPG2 tree2_med.JPG2 woodpecker_med.JPG
Old, dead tree; murdered tree by a beaver; and a woodpecker harming a tree (nature can be so cruel ^^)

3 ice5_med.JPG3 ice6_med.JPG3 ice7_med.JPG
More ice that the river left. Catched a dropping waterdrop on the first photo, but not good focused.

I walked the same way (until this moment) as I did on my hike of the 21st December. I wanted to get off that 'peninsula' (not realy a peninsula but marshes and dead river arms/ponds are making it to one) to get back on the real path on the same way I did last time but..

3 block_med.JPG
.. the way was blocked. I wasnt able to pass it, at least not in the winter and the stones where to far away from each other so it had been to risky with all my stuff and the low temperatures to jump from stone to stone.

So I had to walk half of the way back until I found a way through the marshes:

3 marsh_med.JPG
Needed to hurry with walking so i won't bog down.. (that is near point "A" on the map)

I made it back on the path after I climbed my way through a giant fallen tree..

.. and continued my way

4 ice8_med.JPG4 ice9_2000_med.JPG
More ice. The second photo had been photo number 2000 I did with my new cam since christmas ^^

4 river2_med.JPG
River at the end of that 'peninsula'.

4 sun1_med.JPG
Sun coming through again, very slowly.

I continued my way and came on that real peninsula like on my hike of the 23rd December but left it at the on and only bridge and made my way up the hills..

4 view1_med.JPG
View from above over the peninsula into poland (north east direction)

5 view2_med.JPG5 view3_med.JPG
View to Frankfurt.

I walked down again and continued my way to the city of Lebus that had been my destination for today..

5 river_old_med.JPG5 river3_med.JPG
The river and the end of the peninsula at Lebus

5 church1_med.JPG
The village chruch of Lebus I've seen from the peninsula last time.

6 church2_med.JPG
The church from a closer view.

I like Lebus and so I did a little tour through the village..

6 old1_med.JPG
Old houses. There had been a little museum in the half-timbered house and I risked a look as the entrance fee was realy cheap (1 (~1.3$)). They showed the history of Lebus and the region in there plus a photo exhibition of photos that had been taken around Lebus. It only needed 15minutes to see everything but it had been realy nice.

I decided to walk up the hill where a castle had been on once (and got destroyed severall times).. That castle had been one of the first castles build in Central Europe around the year 1000BC. To bad nothing is left exept a few stones under the earth.

6 old2_med.JPG
The way up..

6 view4_med.JPG6 sun2_med.JPG
Church and village from above, half way up the hill and the Sun, still trying to come through.

I found a very old coin, somewhere on the path on my way up. That coin is from 1898 and I wonder who lost it there 111 years ago..

There wasn't much to see up there, they build normal houses on the hill the castle had been on once, so I continued my way..

Lebus is a very mountainous village as it is located directly on the end of the hills that lead down to the river valley (if you want to call it like that), so the village got fortified in the Second World War and the upcoming battles destroyed most of it.

7 war1_med.JPG
7 war2_med.JPG
7 war3_med.JPG7 war4_med.JPG7 war5_med.JPG
Memorials for victims of three wars:
1st: For the victims at the fronts of the Franco-German War of 1870/71 (with bullet-holes of WW2)
2nd: For the victims in the trenches of the First World War
3rd: Memorial for the russians that died at the fights around Lebus (I didn't counted how many it had been, way to much to count)

Check the size difference between the german memorials and the russian one and how monumental they build there memorials, even in small city's ^_^

The sun came through, yay, and I went back to the church..

8 moon1_med.JPG
The moon showed up too, to wish the sun a good night.. You also can see the hill the castle had been on once.

8 geese_med.JPG
Geese flying into the evening.

8 church3_med.JPG
Chruch in the last sun..

8 moon2_med.JPG8 moon3_med.JPG
..and the moon

It got dark soon and I had a long way back..

9 river4_med.JPG9 sunset_med.JPG
River as it got dark and my long way back through the dark.

9 ice10_med.JPG
Ice on my way back..

I had been only 2.8miles away from home and had been close to the city and of the dirty path as I heard a cracking sound in the reeds maybe 50-60 feet from me and some strange panting/gasping..

No good.. and so close to me.. glad there was a good tree right next to me i was able to crawl up and to hide. The sounds had been strange and it sounded like a very big dog somehow so it could have been a wulf (well, not very possible but we are slowly geting wolfs back, coming from russia and poland and as the river had been frozen 1-2 weeks ago...)

Its hard to descripe the sound, the cracking and gasping/groaning sounded some times as someone, totaly exhausted, tryed to find a way through the reeds/undergrowth but as noone reacted on my shouts if there is someone in need of help...

A giant wild hog is the most possible explanation

Anyways everytime I switched my flashlight on or moved a bit on the tree the that thing started to come closer to me, still hiding in the reeds and so I decided to call with my mobile (with a old broken battery) for help as I had been waiting on that tree for 10 minutes.

I only was able to reach my mom and I told her that I have a problem with coming home as I'm not able to get off a tree.. .. .. .. because there is a wild hog under me, not willing to leave. I gave a short description where I had been hiding and my mobile went off/empty.

Well.. she got my uncle with a car to pick me up and I was so lucky to get my mobile back working for a while so I was able to get called and give a better description of my location as it was hard to find and way off the streets you are allowed to drive on.

I got rescued after an hour, that thing had been there for the whole time.

I swear, I would have died if I would have seen or only imagined some red glowing eyes in the reeds..

9 rescue_med.JPG
From the tree with them coming for me ^^ I took that photo as I tryed to give them a signal with my photo flash Marked the place with a "A" next to it on the map..

I got picked up and we drove home.. to bad, I wanted to take a few more night photos of the the city from the river.. So my hike ended with siting on a tree for an hour after 13miles of walking.

And to bad I wasn't able to make a photo of that animal as I wasn't able to see it (well.. It's maybe better I it didn't came closer to see it^^)

10 map.JPG10_coin_close.JPG10 painting_med.JPG
Map with the way I walked, The 111 year old coin I found and a painting how Lebus looked once I found at a school.

Last edited by Zanahoria_Picante; 02-11-2009 at 07:04 PM.
Old 02-11-2009   #157
Christian
Super Moderator

We got some very foggy weather on the next day, Saturday the 7th of February and I decided to do another hike to the river and to the tree of the day I was hiding on day ago.

The temperature at 34.34F, the river had a temperature of 34.70F and the water level had been 6.43feet.

The quality is a bit bad at the small versions of those photos, let me know if someone want to have a better version :)

1 fog1_med.JPG1 fog2_med.JPG
Slubice (Poland) in the fog and the not-see-able Frankfurt (compare here^^)

1 fog3_med.JPG
Dirt road, leading into the fog.

1 hawk_med.JPG
A hawk(?), flying around

2 feather_med.JPG
Stranded feather.

2 ice1_med.JPG
Ice of yesterday in the fog

2 river1_med.JPG2 river2_med.JPG
Foggy river.

This time, I followed the route on the dam as I didn't wanted to have such a surprise as the day before..

3 dam1_med.JPG3 dam2_med.JPG3 dam3_med.JPG
Dam and a girl, skaiting into the invisibility.

As I was walking on the dam a squadron swans passed me in a very low level flight:

3 swans_med.JPG
Squadron of swans.. you can't imagine what a strange noise they did while flying like that. All the birds made strange noises while flying in the fog this day.

3 river3_med.JPG
River and begin of the peninsula I had been on with problems to leave it yesterday.

I reached the place at the end of the dam where I was trapped by that wild hog yesterday. I walked very carefully and listening to every noise to the tree I was hiding on.

4 path_med.JPG
View from the end of the dam, I was traped maybe 700feet from here

4 tree_med.JPG
That was the old tree I was hiding on, luckily he was't that hard to climb^^

4 reed_med.JPG4 reed2_med.JPG4 reed3_med.JPG
Here the wild hog (or wolf or whatever it had been) was hiding in.
(Wich version looks better? The original, automaticly reworked or the sepia one?)

I went back home again because I said I wont go for a hike longer then 2 hours (I just decided on the way to visit the tree) and got hungry. Well.. I took longer of course.. I really should get myself a clock again ^^.

4 tree2_med.JPG
A bit scary tree on the way back.

5 old_med.JPG5 fog4_med.JPG
Old and abandoned industrial buildings and houses in the fog.

We went shoping later the day and the fog got worse at night. We driving back to the tree, to take a photo of me siting on it as I did the night before. The enviroment looked so lovely with the very thick fog (had a view distance of maybe 300feet or less.). To bad I didn't had my tripod with me at Frankfurt..

5 light_med.JPG 5 me_med.JPG
Our car on the dam, viewed from the position of the tree and me siting on that tree a bit later.

5 fog5_med.JPG
View from the car roof into the fog. Same view as here

I took a few more photos in the fog at night but they didn't turned out very well without my tripod, the photo flash wasn't usable because of the high reflection on the tiny waterdrops in the sky.

I went back to Berlin next day. Didn't needed to take the train this time as my father wanted to visit something in Berlin too and was able to take me with him half of the way.

highway_med.JPG
German highway.

I reached my dorm after driving one and a half hour with busses from the place I got dropped off.

Last edited by Zanahoria_Picante; 02-11-2009 at 05:24 PM.
Old 02-12-2009   #158
Zanahoria_Picante
Orange you glad she's not a banana?

Zanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting perspectives on these, as I said to you already. :) I like the foggy ones; that atmosphere allows for some intriguing levels of depth and focus, which you really captured quite well with that one of the long grass (with the different edits); nice. And the ones of the moon and that one between the ice are still "the best"! :D

Keep up the good work! ;)

..| |
.| | |
_____
\ love /-|
-\__/--|

"When I first read the dictionary, I thought it was a long poem about everything."
Steven Wright

;
Zanahoria_Picante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009   #159
Christian
Super Moderator

Hehe, thanks, had much fun taking them, even if my feet started to kill me. Am happy that I had that much luck those photos turned out well.

I only wish I would have been able to capture the atmosphere the very foggy night had at the river, with all those leafless trees around.

I did as usal my monday hike again on the 9th of February.

The lake hasn't changed till that moment, so i took a photo of it but havn't edited it into my combination... becasue it looks nearly the same as the last one.

It had been a sunny day after a dozen of mostly grey days in a row, finaly.

1 crow_med.JPG
Crow on a tree.

1 duck1_med.JPG
Poor Duck .. wasn't able to do anything for him.

1 duck2_med.JPG1 duck3_med.JPG
And a chinese duck, very close.

moon2_med.JPG
Rising red moon, diving into a thin cloud later the day.

Later the day, I went up on our 'Weather-Tower" to catch the sunset:

2 sunset1_med.JPG
2 sunset2_med.JPG2 sunset3_med.JPG2 sunset4_med.JPG
2 sunset5_med.JPG

3 sunset6_med.JPG3 sunset7_med.JPG3 sunset8_med.JPG

The moon started to rise..

3 moon_med.JPG
Moon, reflected on a monitor.

3 night_med.JPG
Berlin at the evening.

Last edited by Zanahoria_Picante; 02-19-2009 at 01:32 AM.
Old 02-21-2009   #160
Christian
Super Moderator

We got som nice snow in the night to the 16th of February and so I went for a little walk as I recognised it at 2:00 in the morning.

I was tired as hell but I grabbed my tripod and and took a few photos of the area around my dorm:

(Most photos had been done with 8 seconds exposure time.)

1 street1_med.JPG1 street2_med.JPG
Snowy and abandoned roads.

1 tree1_med.JPG1 tree2_med.JPG
Tree from below and a snowy, moving birch.

1 sky_med.JPG
Red sky: very low clouds got illuminated by street lights of Brandendburg, from the villages directly at the town limit of Berlin*.
(*Street lights in West-Berlin (and west Germany) are mostly white and red in east Berlin (and east germany)

2 path1_med.JPG2_path3b_med.JPG
Path, leading into some allotment gardens next to the channel. Looked nice with the red clouds in the background.

2 path2_med.JPG2 channel_med.JPG
Path along the channel and the channel from a bride.

17th of February:
I, and 5 other friends of me, got invited into a restaurant from a docent who wanted celebrated his retirement a bit as we 6 had been his last class.

2 sun_med.JPG
Sun, while I was waiting for the bus after missing the first one because took a few to much photos on the way to the bus station.

Well.. it was my fault: I decided to walk the first two stations to take a few more photos from the channel.

3 boat1_med.JPG3 boat2_med.JPG3 boat3_med.JPG
Ships on the channel. First one is from Poland, transporting gas or some fluids, second one had been from Germany, transporting sand.

I needed to drive 40minutes with the bus to the restaurant and a some park was located on the way. I've seen that tiny hill, the park is located around often as I had been on the fields and so I planned a little hike to it after the restaurant (also took my tripod with me, the owner/waiter laughed and joked at/about me, coming in my 'equipment', but small vulgarities had been part of the restaurant specials (mh, reminded me at QC)).

3 night1_med.JPG3 night2_med.JPG
The park at night, 60seconds exposure time. A plane flew through the first photo.

I wanted to walk through the park and up that hill, checking if I can get a nice view but it was to scary. Lots of shadows (I think from bunny's^^) ran/hopped around me through bushes and I heard a groaning again, like the one from my wild hog meeting, as I climbed up a rise. It gave me the creeps and had been a bit to much for me and so I went back. ^^

Will visit that park some day later.

I went back to the buds, driving home but did a little detour to the heating plant:

4 plant1_med.JPG4 plant2_med.JPG4 plant3_med.JPG4 plant4_med.JPG4 plant5_med.JPG
First: 8 seconds exposure time, second: 60 seconds; third: chimneys close up; fourth: light and stars; fifth: back at the channel

Last edited by foxyphoenix; 02-21-2009 at 04:59 PM.

Tags
christian, photography