Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > Media Room > Art & Photography

Art & Photography Right-brained and shutterbug hangout. Post and discuss art and photographs, self-created or otherwise. Also show off your digital graphics, wallpapers, or desktops.

Old 11-06-2008   #41
Christian
Super Moderator

Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Christian
Re: Christian's photography and stuff

^_^ I will, and yes, its okay, the original had a size of 1984x1488^^ So.. 5 to 10 photos to come tomorrow.

oh, and thank you again for all the merging foxy :)

edit:
^ I was looking for something like that too but havn't had luck, even if that park i was today was realy nice. I like to go into real nature way more, there are much more interesting things to find.. to bad that there isn't that much of it in my direct area. ^^
Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008   #42
Christian
Super Moderator

Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute
Here the photos from yesterday. Like the whole weak the day was realy grey, foggy and it was drizzling all the time. I went through a little park near a part of my university that was kinda long but not realy wide.

drop1_med.JPGdrop2_med.JPGdrop3_med.JPGdrop4_med.JPG
Thanks to the rain i was able to take those, you can't imagine how strange people can look if you are crouching infront of bushes or trees to take photos ^^

tree1_med.JPGtree2_med.JPGtree3_med.JPG
Did i ever said that i like trees? ^_^

power_med.JPG
After i finished my little hike i driven back to my dorm but payed the heating plant another visit.

Last edited by foxyphoenix; 11-07-2008 at 03:49 PM.
Old 11-08-2008   #43
Christian
Super Moderator

Today was the first day since a longer time the coulds havn't been so thick and the fog has gone. As i looked out of my window i spoted a colourful sunset, so i decidet to grab quickly my stuff and get down to the channel as fast as possible.

sky1_med.JPGsky2_med.JPGsky3_med.JPG
Sunset at the channel.

Btw:
Denver: prepare for some grey and cloudy days with maybe a bit rain with temperatures around 32F starting from monday;
LA: Have fun with just a few clouds and temperatures around 55F on Monday.. for some reason it's geting colder to noon and warmer to the night, no idea why.

You may tell me if the data had been correct

A few more photos from the channel:

channel1_med.JPGchannel2_med.JPG

As the sun gone down and i wanted to go shoping before i go home (needed something to eat and i ran low on my weekend-beer), i wanted to take a test-photo of the footpath, that is next to the channel. The footpath is crossing the street, that is leading to my dowm and as i wanted to take the photo, a bus was rushing into it from the left..

morph1_med.JPGmorph2_med.JPG
and 5 seconds later from the right.. Someone had something against me taking that photo ^_^

Last edited by foxyphoenix; 11-08-2008 at 02:18 PM.
Old 11-10-2008   #44
my.dragons.lady
happy heretic

my.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond repute

Christian, I really appreciate the time and effort you make to share your photos. That black and white is particularly outstanding. The bus pictures are way cool with those bright colors contrasted with dusk.

And apparently we share a love of trees! Mike and Chris are always wondering why I take so many pictures of trees and bushes and sometimes even grass or just leaves.

A funny thing happens though when I'm outside with a camera. IFor instance, once I saw a tree that reminds me of one on the farm we used to live on, that was sharply bent with a crook just made for reading hours on end. Then I had to take umpteen pictures until I get one that looks exactly like I want to remember it. I especially love clover and dandelions that grow close to the ground. They represent to me simple beauty bared, no frills, a fierce independence and a thumbed nose to indiscriminate lawnmowers :.)

"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need." ~~ Cicero

"Let food be your medicine and medicine be your food." ~~ Hippocrates

"Trust, but verify." ~~ Damon Runyon * Said to me by Andy Stephenson of Hacking Democracy, in memory of and one account. Miss you much, Andy.
my.dragons.lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008   #45
Christian
Super Moderator

Today, as every monday, i had a class in the middle of Berlin, so i got up early and went for a mini-hike in the 'Tiergarden'. Needed to do it before my class because they moved another class directly after it, located in my part of the city; so i don't have the time to hike through the heart of berlin right after it anymore. Duo the lack of time, it was mor a strong march then an hike, but i found the two swans again:

swan1_med.JPGswan2_med.JPGswan3_med.JPGswan4_med.JPG

swan5_med.JPG
Check the swan in the back *om nom nom* ^^

I also rushed back to the same position i took a photo from everytime i had been there:

park_med.JPG
Autumn has won.

combi1.JPG
I made a quick combination of the photos i took from that place the last weeks. Looks nice, may i'll try to get a photo from that spot every week a longer time from now.

In the night to today, we had some shiny moon with a nealry clear sky. Just a few contrasty clouds passed the moon. I tryed so badly to take a photo from that scene, but failed.

moon_med.JPG
I don't have any idea, why this photo turned out so well.. The window-frame of the slowly shuting window must have blocked some incoming light so i got some contrast.

Last edited by foxyphoenix; 11-10-2008 at 12:35 PM.
Old 11-11-2008   #46
Christian
Super Moderator

This was my free day and i went into a nature park, that had been an old railway yard about ~60years ago. the day was kinda dark and it was raining from time to time. We even got some stronger wind from time to time.

The old railway yard wasn't used for about 60 years, so nature took over the palce and since the year 2000 that area became an nature park. The sub-title for the whole post is "How nature took over humans debris".

As i wanted to enter that little park, there was a fence with some ticket-automat. Just 1 (1.3US$) for that.. yay!

So i payed (well, to be honest: i payed way later (close tot eh end) because i didn't recognised the automat at first) and went into it that park and as first that old watertower catched my attention:

1 tower1_med.JPG1 tower2_med.JPG1 tower3_med.JPG1 tower4_med.JPG1 tower5_med.JPG

I started to walk through the 'park'.

2 close1_med.JPG
old mounted binocular, was some kind of art instalation (i think)

2 close2_med.JPG
old 'switch controlling device'

2 loco1_med.JPG2 loco2_med.JPG
They also renovated and placed an old steam engine on the left tracks.

2 nature2_med.JPG
Old leftover

3 close3_med.JPG3 close4_med.JPG3 nature1_med.JPG3 nature3_med.JPG3 close 6_med.JPG
nature took over the whole area.

I realy like(ed) how mother nature gained controll again.
4 drop1_med.JPG4 drop2_med.JPG

4 nature4_med.JPG4 tower6_med.JPG
Old rails and the watertower.

5 away_med.JPG
I also had been able to see the TV tower from there.

5 close7_med.JPG
Dogrose and the watertower.

5 jungle1_med.JPG5 jungle2_med.JPG5 nature5_med.JPG
Blocked rail tracks

6 bud_med.JPG
..waiting for spring..

6 jungle3_med.JPG6 jungle4_med.JPG
I took just 60 years to form a higly frequented rail yard into a jungle.

6 nature6_med.JPG6 nature7_med.JPG
More blocked tracks, trees succeded^^

7 nature8_med.JPG7 nature9_med.JPG
A whole forrest in the middle of the rails.

7 close8_med.JPG
7 tower7_med.JPG7 tower8_med.JPG
The watertower again.

8 jungle5_med.JPG
More 'jungle'.

8 pie_med.JPG
I love pie too^^

8 nature8_med.JPG8 nature9_med.JPG
Tree on the leftovers of an old building and an old rail close up.

8 tower9_med.JPG
The watertower very close.

A big part of that park was made into an strict nature reserve, where you shouldn't leave the trail. The trail was an elevated path, following the old tracks, so is doesn't bug the nature around. That gives all the birds and critters as same as the nature enough space and peace to grow. About 60 endangered species are at home in that little park.

It started to get dark and it was raining, so i left the park but payed a little hill a short visit, that was next to it. On that hill some observatories are located.

9 hill1_med.JPG
On the way up..

9 sun1_med.JPG
As i nearly reached the top, i was able to see a lovely sunset through the rainy sky.

I rushed to the top..
9 sun2_med.JPG
..and took that photo. It shows that black "skycraper" i took a photo from some posts ago and you also can see our "weather-tower" from my part of the university.

Now the bad part of the story. I was witness of an awesome sunset. Havn't seen such a colourfull and bright sunset since a long time, but my batteries decided to die. I nealry was about to cry. The whole sky was orange and dark on the side; and i wasn't able to take any phots anymore. I still had about 3 photos left on my cam *sighs*

I needed to go down from that hill, and as i turned down i spoted an realy awesome rainbow. That rainbow was realy shiny and had 2 little fluffy pink clouds on each side *needs a hug* ..I missed so awesome photos *cry*

Each time i turned around on the way back to the 'S-Bahn'-station the sunset got more and more stuning: Orange and red sky, dark clouds infront, shiny ones in the back. I took my train, and went directly into a shop at my station i needed to get out to buy batteries.

9 sun3_med.JPG
I took that photo from the station, but it was already kinda late.. to bad..

Last edited by foxyphoenix; 11-11-2008 at 04:12 PM.
Old 11-13-2008   #47
Christian
Super Moderator

Yesterday, November the 12th i had again some time and i went to the "Treptower Park", where i made all the gull-photos last time. The weather was realy nice and sunny, but a bit cold.

1 swan0_med.JPG1 swan1_med.JPG1 swan2_med.JPG1 swan3_med.JPG1 swan4_med.JPG
This time, noone was feeding gulls, so i was able to take some peacefull photos of those swans.

2 swan5_med.JPG2 swan6_med.JPG2 duck1_med.JPG
Oh my, i got discovered.. | ..'Ugly duckling' coming as backup.. | ..and a real duck, close up.

I went along the route as i did last time to visit my old friends..

2 tree0_med.JPG2 tree1_med.JPG
..the 'Kite eating tree'. Actually he isn't eating the kite, he is playing with it

3 bridge1_med.JPG
The Bridge to the "Isle of the youth" ,

3 tower1_med.JPG
Berlin Television Tower,

3 tree2_med.JPG
tree

3 crane1_med.JPG
and some industrie.

3 flower1_med.JPG
Flowers.

4 smoke2_med.JPG4 smoke5_med.JPG4 smoke6_med.JPG4 smoke7_med.JPG4 smoke8_med.JPG
Steel smokestack at the beginning and at the end of my hike. For some reason the white clouds, coming out of the powerplant catched my attraction.

lets go to something more beautiful..

5 squirrel1_med.JPG5 squirrel2_med.JPG5 squirrel3_med.JPG5 squirrel4_med.JPG5 squirrel5_med.JPG
..a squirrel!

There was an old theme park along the path i visited many years ago as child. The park is unused and empty for a few years now and the nature started allready to grow over a few attraction.

park1_med.JPG

I didn't knew it was that park, but an old lady, that looked at me as i took the photo above, told me about the park and that there are some dinos some way ahead. She also told me, that someone (posible a teacher) made a realy good sign for one of them mounted on the old fence around the park. She said the sign is only there since the park is closed and that it must have been a teacher becasue it is made realy good: in german and english, with a timescale and so on..

6 dino1_med.JPG6 dino4_med.JPG6 dino3_med.JPG

6 dino3b_med.JPG
Its nice someone did something like that, even if the time scale is a bit wrong.. we all know everything isnt older then 7000 years (kidding)

7 weel1_med.JPG7 weel2_med.JPG7 weel3_med.JPG7 weel4_med.JPG7 weel5_med.JPG
I loved that ferris wheel as i had been 'young'..

On my way around the park i spoted that old house. It must have looked so beautiful many years ago:

8 house1_med.JPG8 house2_med.JPG8 house3_med.JPG
..i hope i managed to take a few good photos anyways.

The sun was going down (i took the last photos of the smokestack) and i needed to hurry to get back. Had my weekly duty(/training) at the 'THW' and was kinda far away from it. As i where walking back alonge the path i came hours earlier the moon started to rise behind a very thin and soft layer of clouds..

8 moon1_med.JPG8 moon2_med.JPG
M-o-o-n, that spells awesome.

Was glad i had a few photos (and enough energie in the batteries) left to make those moon photos :D

Today i gone on another little hike trough the touristic center of Berlin and te 'Tiergarden' (again^^). It was the 4th hike the last 4 days and my feet are starting to kill me. Will upload them later.

Last edited by foxyphoenix; 11-13-2008 at 01:55 PM.
Old 11-13-2008   #48
Pittielynn
sweet, funny and down-right CUTE!

Pittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond repute

As much as I am enjoying the lovely images you posted...I can't help but wonder what the "and stuff" is....

"Be strong while it's hard and laugh at it after it's over. You just gotta live." - Spadetje

All along I believed I would find you.
Time has brought your heart to me,
I have loved you for a thousand years.
I'll love you for a thousand more...
...One step closer.
o.O♠O.o

Almost Smart Store
Almost Smart Arcade
Pittielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008   #49
Pittielynn

Pittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by pittielynn View Post
As much as I am enjoying the lovely images you posted...I can't help but wonder what the "and stuff" is....
^ What she said.

"Be strong while it's hard and laugh at it after it's over. You just gotta live." - Spadetje

...One step closer.
o.O♠O.o

Almost Smart Store
Almost Smart Arcade
Old 11-13-2008   #50
Pittielynn

I am very upset that you are refusing to answer my question. :P

...One step closer.
o.O♠O.o

Almost Smart Store
Almost Smart Arcade
Old 11-13-2008   #51
Christian
Super Moderator

I'm not sure about that to be honest

Maybe the 'stuff' is just the background story behind the photos or i just wanted to keep some skind of pace if i post something different ^_^

..or i just tryed to make a 'cool' thread title *g*

edit: Wah, give me time to read your posts first ^^ Am mostly so deep in writing the photo stories that i dont recognise much around me
Old 11-13-2008   #52
Pittielynn

Wow, foxy that was some serious merging right there. [/offtopicpost]

I suppose I can forgive you, Christian. :)

...One step closer.
o.O♠O.o

Almost Smart Store
Almost Smart Arcade
Old 11-13-2008   #53
Christian
Super Moderator

^ Aww, thanks that you forgive me *phew*

Thank you another time for merging Foxy! I promise I will post a bit less next time.. i know i still can, i will start tomor... eh.. next week! I swear!
Old 11-14-2008   #54
Zanahoria_Picante
Orange you glad she's not a banana?

Zanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond repute

I already told you, but I love this one: http://www.almostsmart.com/forums/at...2&d=1226089345

That one (and some of your other ones) reminds me of some of Viggo Mortensen's photography, which often has that same surreal sort of perspective.

The ones of the water droplets on various plant life are especially amazing.

Now, all that remains is starting an official fan club for your photographic works.

..| |
.| | |
_____
\ love /-|
-\__/--|

"When I first read the dictionary, I thought it was a long poem about everything."
Steven Wright

;
Zanahoria_Picante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008   #55
my.dragons.lady
happy heretic

my.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond repute

^ definite go on the fan club :.)

This last set gives me several favorites including the rail in the jungle, white birch trees, the spray of white flowers which looks like spicy viburnum (if so, those are particularly fragrant), moon split by clouds, all of those with sun beaming through trees, willow on the river, sunset in the rainy sky, water tower viewed through the culvert pipe, but I believe the moss covered rail wins this round as it reclaims the space humans invaded.

"Trust, but verify." ~~ Damon Runyon * Said to me by Andy Stephenson of Hacking Democracy, in memory of and one account. Miss you much, Andy.
Old 11-14-2008   #56
Tala
iGor

Tala has a reputation beyond reputeTala has a reputation beyond reputeTala has a reputation beyond reputeTala has a reputation beyond reputeTala has a reputation beyond reputeTala has a reputation beyond reputeTala has a reputation beyond reputeTala has a reputation beyond reputeTala has a reputation beyond reputeTala has a reputation beyond reputeTala has a reputation beyond repute

^ I'd join!

Very nice as usual Christian! I really like some of the swan pictures, especially with the draping branch as a frame around them. Very nice
Or spread out his whiskers, or cherish his pride?
~ T. S. Eliot
Tala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008   #57
my.dragons.lady
happy heretic

I forgot to mention the tree playing with kites.

Old 11-14-2008   #58
Christian
Super Moderator

aww, thanks for all the nice response, don't even know what i shall say *geting red*

I like the swan ones too, you can't imagine how strange people had been loocking at me, as i had been half crouching, half laying on a small cold (and locked) concrete landing stage 'stalking' those swans^^

I also liked to take those photos of the old railway yard. The visit there was realy amasing, just to bad i wasnt able to take more photos of the sunset that day.

Going throught the photos of yesterday now :D

my own little fanclub.. oh my.. ^_^
Old 11-14-2008   #59
Christian
Super Moderator

Thursday, the 13th November, I went another time through the 'Tiergarden' after i needed to do some organisation stuff on a different university, that is located in the heart of Berlin. So i started my hike from there this time. The sky was nearly clear, it was a bit cold but and the sun was very low, so she gave me a hard time photographing.

Before i was able to go for that hike, i was forced to wait until the lunchhour of the office i needed to deliver a dokument was over. I waited with a freind in the curtilage of the Humboldt University.

1 tree1_med.JPG
There i took that photo out of boredness^^

After i delivered what i needed to deliver (and got it back because a stamp was missing..) i started my hike.

1 rider_med.JPG
On my first steps that rider catched my eye, its Frederick the Great.

1 library1_med.JPG1 library2_med.JPG
Just a few meters ahead, the curtilage of the National Libary got my attraction with its old faade covered by vine. Next time I'm there i'll get better photos :)

1 gate1_med.JPG
I finaly came to the Brandenburg Gate.

I continued my hike through the 'Tiergarden':

2 drop1_med.JPG2 drop2_med.JPG
Rain and dew drops

2 flower_med.JPG
A flower.

2 sky_med.JPG2 leaf_med.JPG
Autumnsky and nice red leafs holding each other.

I went to the centre of the park to take a few photos of the 'Victory Column'.

3 vic1_med.JPG3 vic2_med.JPG3 vic3_med.JPG
The low sun gave the 'Victory Column' some nice atmosphere.

As i went back into the park to take a few more photos a strange (and realy evil looking) man was standing on a bypath. He started to stare at me (havn't had my cam out at this moment) but i didn't reacted to him. I followed my route to another sidepath where a few more people (don't know why) had been. As i took a photo there he passed me close from another direction (means he walked a little detour) and stared at me again. It started to be scary, so i decidet to get back to the 'Victory Coloumn', to a more public place. He continued following me, so i walked a bit faster, he tryed to walk in my blind spot and, as i was close to the Coloumn he stoped behind a tree, that was leaning into the path, following me with his eyes but trying to stay secret. To bad i wasn't able to find a police car so far, I so would have liked to send a cop to that area to check him *sighs* ..I just should have taken my beret on, that would have scared him away..

Anyways: I was back at the Coloumn what made me able to take that photo:
3 sun1_med.JPG

3 vic4_med.JPG
I chose an alternative way to my destination and took that photo of the 'Victory Coloumn' at Sunset. I planned to take that photo from the front of it, but there that guy had been.

4 tree2_med.JPG4 tree3_med.JPG4 tree4_med.JPG
Sun over a lake between two trees, an old leafeless tree and a little isle in another lake.

I took the last one right before i met that guy a second time.

I went back to the city (out of the park) from the 'Victory Coloumn' to the 'Zoo Station', where i am at every monday, to drive home.

5 channel_med.JPG
I crossed that channel at sunset in the heart of Berlin, at the end of the 'Tiergarden'.

I continued my why and came to the Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church:
5 church1_med.JPG5 church2_med.JPG5 church3_med.JPG5 church4_med.JPG

I needed to pass another subway station to reach mine, because didn't took the main entrance this time.

6 sub1_med.JPG6 sub2_med.JPG
I took the first picture at the first, and the second one at my station with the subway i needed to take coming in.

6 plane_med.JPG
Finaly home, the sun was gone down and the last rays of the sun illuminated a plane, leaving Berlin.

path.JPG
Here a picture of the route i hiked along. This was the 4th hike in 4 days and the additional 8km (5miles) made my feet nearly killing me. After all, the hike wasn't bad and i had some fun.

Last edited by foxyphoenix; 11-14-2008 at 03:56 PM.
Old 11-14-2008   #60
my.dragons.lady
happy heretic

Ick. Maybe snapping a few pictures of the creepy guy and taking off might get him to leave you alone. I wouldn't bother getting close since you have an excellent zoom.

Might also consider changing your route by one or two streets. Maybe it's paranoia on my part, but if the guy was following you it might be beneficial to be deliberately unpredictable.

Still looking at the most recent photos :.)

Tags
christian, photography