Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > The Lounge > Debate & Politics

Debate & Politics Fight! Fight! Fight! Keep your arguments clean, and be constructive about getting your point across.

Old 02-03-2005   #1
Rock ur socks
and i'll rock them hard too !

Rock ur socks is divineRock ur socks is divineRock ur socks is divineRock ur socks is divineRock ur socks is divineRock ur socks is divineRock ur socks is divineRock ur socks is divineRock ur socks is divine
Send a message via AIM to Rock ur socks Send a message via Yahoo to Rock ur socks
Just what Texas needs...!

I'd vote for this guy!!!!

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...nkyfriedman_dc

SAN ANTONIO, Texas (Reuters) - Texas humorist Kinky Friedman, who wrote the song "They Ain't Makin' Jews Like Jesus Any More," announced on Thursday his independent candidacy for the state's governorship.

Friedman, joking he wants to move into the governor's mansion "because I need the closet space," launched his drive to become the state's first independent governor since Texas Revolution hero Sam Houston in 1859 in front of the Alamo.

Wearing a black cowboy hat and sporting a trademark lit cigar, Friedman's announcement was carried nationally on the MSNBC morning show hosted by radio personality Don Imus.

The author of numerous books, columns and songs he performed with his bar band "The Texas Jewboys," Friedman, 60, stressed he'll use humor to frame a serious candidacy in the Republican-dominated state.

"Don't worry about my lack of experience," Friedman said. "Trust me. I'm a Jew. I'll hire good people."

On the 169th anniversary of Lt. Col. William B. Travis' arrival at the Alamo, which would eventually fall to Mexican troops, Friedman laid out his plan to begin the "de-wussification of Texas."

"I'm not anti-death penalty. I'm anti-the wrong guy getting executed," Friedman said. "Two-thousand years ago we executed an innocent man named Jesus Christ and we don't want to make another mistake like that."

COMIC AS SERIOUS CANDIDATE

"We're Number One in executions and we're Number 49 in funding public education," Friedman said, and then later told the crowd he's for nondenominational prayer in public schools.

"What's wrong with a kid believing in something?" he asked.

An animal lover, Friedman vowed to outlaw the declawing of cats and promised to appoint singer and well-known marijuana smoker Willie Nelson as head of the Texas Rangers.

Like Minnesota's Jesse Ventura in 1998 and California's Arnold Schwarzenegger in 2003, Friedman's nontraditional candidacy could garner serious support, said political analyst Larry Hufford of St. Mary's University in San Antonio.

"I think Kinky can make the candidates deal with issues they don't want to talk about," Hufford said.

Gov. Rick Perry is facing the possibility of several challenges from powerful fellow Republicans, including a chance that popular U.S. Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison could compete against him in the Republican primary in the spring of 2006.

To get on the 2006 November ballot, Friedman must collect signatures of 40,500 registered voters next spring, and only those who did not participate in the major-party primaries are eligible to sign.

Friedman could make a difference just by campaigning for 15 months, even if he does not make the ballot, Hufford said. But Friedman showed he will be difficult to pin down ideologically.

"We're going to wake up that great slumbering giant of Texas independence," Friedman said.
Rock ur socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005   #2
Fox
poolshark packleader

Fox is divineFox is divineFox is divineFox is divineFox is divineFox is divineFox is divineFox is divine
Re: Just what Texas needs...!

dude fucking a I live in Texas.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005   #3
SpudNuts
Just Bubblin'

SpudNuts has a reputation beyond reputeSpudNuts has a reputation beyond reputeSpudNuts has a reputation beyond reputeSpudNuts has a reputation beyond reputeSpudNuts has a reputation beyond reputeSpudNuts has a reputation beyond reputeSpudNuts has a reputation beyond reputeSpudNuts has a reputation beyond reputeSpudNuts has a reputation beyond reputeSpudNuts has a reputation beyond reputeSpudNuts has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to SpudNuts

He's mixing religion with politics even more than you lot usually do. Your fucked.

Alba gu brth
SpudNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005   #4
Jenn and tonic
"maaaaagic!"

Jenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Jenn and tonic

...I think part of this is a joke. Law against cats getting declawed? Appointing Willie Nelson?...yeah, he's joking.
When all government, in little as in great things, shall be drawn to Washington as the Center of all power, it will render powerless the checks provided of one government on another and will become as venal and oppressive as the government from which we separated. Thomas Jefferson
Jenn and tonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005   #5
Rock ur socks
and i'll rock them hard too !

Rock ur socks is divineRock ur socks is divineRock ur socks is divineRock ur socks is divineRock ur socks is divineRock ur socks is divineRock ur socks is divineRock ur socks is divineRock ur socks is divine
Send a message via AIM to Rock ur socks Send a message via Yahoo to Rock ur socks

http://www.kinkyfriedman.com/

no joke, no joke
Rock ur socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005   #6
Jenn and tonic
"maaaaagic!"

Jenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Jenn and tonic

I'm not saying his running is a joke. Part of the 'platform' is a joke. You can't mean to illegalize declawing of cats and get by. Especially not in Texas.
When all government, in little as in great things, shall be drawn to Washington as the Center of all power, it will render powerless the checks provided of one government on another and will become as venal and oppressive as the government from which we separated. Thomas Jefferson
Jenn and tonic is offline   Reply With Quote