Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > The Lounge > Debate & Politics

Debate & Politics Fight! Fight! Fight! Keep your arguments clean, and be constructive about getting your point across.

Old 02-13-2004   #1
RubberDucky55
Almost Smart Master

RubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to RubberDucky55 Send a message via MSN to RubberDucky55 Send a message via Yahoo to RubberDucky55
bush's nobel peace prize nomination

i just read on the internet that bush was nominated for the nobel peace prize. i personally cant believe it. its so wrong that he got nominated for that by starting a war. sure, sadam was caught. but that wasnt even him, that was the soliders who were risking their lives to do it. it wasnt bush going over there to help. the war has killed so many of the civillians and our soldiers. i really dont think bush deserves this. what do you guys think?

http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/news/sto...20040212ROM119

oh and p.s.

tony blair was nominated too.

Last edited by RubberDucky55; 02-15-2004 at 03:23 PM.
RubberDucky55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004   #2
Blackass
groingrabbingly good!

Blackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Blackass
Re: bush's nobel peace prize nomination

Well i like it. Bush started a war, yes, but in the long run there will be so much less fighting with Sadaam out.Keep in mind that the inventor of the award invented dyanamit and nitroglycerin As to your "It wasnt bush who caught him quote", thats just stupid and childish. Of course bush wouldnt have gotten him because he's the commander. i dont recall general tommy franks being in combat, but hes credited with the capture of officials because he planned it out.
You Said
the war has killed so many of the civillians and our soldiers.
I say
The civilians are an unfortunate biproduct of war. Plenty of civilians were killed in major wars. The soldiers enlisted of their own accord. Now i know some of them were working to pay back student loans and for a family, etc, and that is very sad, but they really should have thought about it after 9-11.
Blackass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004   #3
HauntedMike
fear the hangover fairy

Location: Monifieth, Round-the-corner-from-the-place, Scotland
HauntedMike is divineHauntedMike is divineHauntedMike is divineHauntedMike is divineHauntedMike is divineHauntedMike is divineHauntedMike is divineHauntedMike is divineHauntedMike is divineHauntedMike is divine
Send a message via MSN to HauntedMike Send a message via Yahoo to HauntedMike

I think it's pathetic to be honest... and I don't mean that to be a dig at the US or anything like that, but the whole premise of going to war was to find and dispose of WMD's.

None were found.

-Mike
Old 02-14-2004   #4
psychoDiablo
a(round)

psychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to psychoDiablo Send a message via Yahoo to psychoDiablo

no way. this just proves it to me, that America is stupid. Bush knows it. That's why he's president.

To chill is to be chillin.
Chillin is cooperating with your surroundings, unknowing'st of what everything is capable of; and all the while, as it happens and after, to accept without any thought of good or bad, but mainly, just enjoying rather deeply, the moment you had to sit and think. (Not thinking.)

|-Mr.MCR-|

Will you write
Will you love
Will you enjoy
Life when I am gone?
You will.
by Angelina

"I have lived life as horrible as it was, and as beautiful as it has become."
psychoDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004   #5
Anti

Anti is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Anti Send a message via MSN to Anti Send a message via Yahoo to Anti

ack, ya gotta be shittin me, the biggest (second biggest?) jackass gets nominated for that? I didnt like Bush from the start lol, I would be more eligible for the nobel, and I've done jack shiat. be like awarding it to clinton for having a secretary under his desk, lolz, bring him back
Old 02-14-2004   #6
jyotishi

jyotishi will become famous soon enough

Nobody has really asked how many thousand civilians have died in Afghanistan and Iraq as 'collateral damage' due to America's bombs and bullets.

You can imagine the laughter at the Nobel offices in Stockolm when they recieved the nomination for this perturbed man...

we should make a poll to find out how many people would like to see Mr. 'I-don't-read-newspapers' get awarded for his 'lifelong' contribution for world peace.
jyotishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004   #7
Yugoloth
-----

Yugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Yugoloth

Quote:
Originally Said by Munky
I think it's pathetic to be honest... and I don't mean that to be a dig at the US or anything like that, but the whole premise of going to war was to find and dispose of WMD's.

None were found.

-Mike
While I agree with you that Bush's nomination for a peace price is pathetic, and even find it hilarious, I disagree with pretty much everything else you said.

http://www.almostsmart.com/forums/sh...6&postcount=92

Read the first paragraph or two of that post. Also recall news from back in January about mortar shells with suspected blister agents. That article can be found here: http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/meast/...irq.chemicals/

Finally, realize that the WMD issue was just the most publicized reason for going to war. Lots of people think (quite vocally) that it was over oil. Hussein also killed Kurds. Lots of Kurds. 80,000, in one incident; with nerve gas that a previous US administration gave him. So, we kind of had a responsibility to the Kurds to clean up our own mess.

Just thought I would throw that in...
Yugoloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004   #8
HauntedMike
fear the hangover fairy

HauntedMike is divineHauntedMike is divineHauntedMike is divineHauntedMike is divineHauntedMike is divineHauntedMike is divineHauntedMike is divineHauntedMike is divineHauntedMike is divineHauntedMike is divine

Fair points there, Yugoloth. But that was suspected blister agent. And why wouldn't Hussein have conventional missiles? The US does. The UK does. Hell, France has battlefield tactical nuclear missiles, not strategic (ICBM-type) missiles and we dont give a flying fuck about that- I know France isn't goverent by an unstable dictator (or is it? ), but its just an example. They're not even in NATO iirc.

I think, like has been said many times before, that blind eyes have been turned the world o'er so that this war could have taken place.

-Mike
Old 02-15-2004   #9
poopy
The ?mægå Mån

poopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to poopy

i see worst case scenario in iraq is that we have removed a murderous dictator from power. doesn't that count for anything. i mean the WMD have not been found but that doesn't mean they do not exist, right? and in the long run i think this war's casualties are far less than what saddam has done to his own people in non-wartime and wwhat he could have done had he stayed in power. a country has been liberated and i think that even if we did hop in there for other reasons, this issue deserves some credit to the administration which has saved many lives already. this war will be saving kurd and iraqi lives for generations.
BEWARE: When eating snacks remember that the fruit roll-up factory feels the need to endanger our lives with a potentially suffocatingly thin transluscent plastic. I am outraged and currently on my way out the door to start a petition for a boycott of any and all fruit roll-up snacks. Please send me a message or post your name, telephone number, and address, and some one will be by to get your signature. Thank You
poopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004   #10
HauntedMike
fear the hangover fairy

And the war had NOTHING to do with the threat to the oil fields?

Anyway.. the ends cannot justify the means.

-Mike
Old 02-15-2004   #11
neomp5
Dipshit for life!

neomp5 is an Almost Smart godneomp5 is an Almost Smart godneomp5 is an Almost Smart godneomp5 is an Almost Smart godneomp5 is an Almost Smart godneomp5 is an Almost Smart godneomp5 is an Almost Smart godneomp5 is an Almost Smart godneomp5 is an Almost Smart godneomp5 is an Almost Smart godneomp5 is an Almost Smart god

you know, i think i'll go down to the retiremeent home and just cut a weak one from the heard. just some 85 year old, half my size, and pound the piss right out of him. maybe i'll get the key to the city or something. it works for dubya, why not?
neomp5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004   #12
Yugoloth
-----

Yugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by Munky
Fair points there, Yugoloth. But that was suspected blister agent. And why wouldn't Hussein have conventional missiles? The US does. The UK does. Hell, France has battlefield tactical nuclear missiles, not strategic (ICBM-type) missiles and we dont give a flying fuck about that- I know France isn't goverent by an unstable dictator (or is it? ), but its just an example. They're not even in NATO iirc.

I think, like has been said many times before, that blind eyes have been turned the world o'er so that this war could have taken place.
A cache of mortar shells, hidden in a bunker, packed in plastic bags, full of some mysterious liquid. It isn't plausible to assume that the Iraqis planned to fertilize their poppies with mortar shells. The chemical has been tested, and the tests were positive that they were blister agents, but those tests have a strong tendency to err on the side of positive, so there's no way to be conclusive yet about whether or not they are really chemical weapons. But just think about it, what else could it be?

As for the missiles, it's a safe assumption that France, the UK, and the US won't be nuking anyone, but we can't be sure that Iraqis wouldn't, and it isn't worth the risk to find out. In fact, in recent history, of those four countries, only Iraq has used a chemical, biological or nuclear weapon in the recent past, so given that, there is a strong reason to suppose that Hussein would have used his missiles.

Quote:
Originally Said by Munky
And the war had NOTHING to do with the threat to the oil fields?

Anyway.. the ends cannot justify the means.
Iraq was not selling us any oil, i don't believe. They had the piss sanctioned out of them by the UN. The only oil going out of Iraq was for the oil-for-food program. That program made many millions of dollars of profit for the UN, money which the organization was never held accountable for. It was probably pocketed, which might explain the UN's reluctance to support a war on Iraq.

As for the ends not justifying the means, imagine this scenario. A terrorist sneaks an atomic bomb into Manhattan. Millions die in the explosion, and the destruction of most of the major financial institutions in the US causes our economy to collapse (which would cause a worldwide recession, at least).

Well, Saddam supported terrorism, and he has tried in the past to start a nuclear program. Add those two things together, and an atomic bomb detonation in a major metropolitan area isn't an altogether unlikely scenario.

Quote:
Originally Said by neomp5
you know, i think i'll go down to the retiremeent home and just cut a weak one from the heard. just some 85 year old, half my size, and pound the piss right out of him. maybe i'll get the key to the city or something. it works for dubya, why not?
Once again, you demonstrate thorough lack of understanding of the issue, and quite frankly, i'm tired of trying to explain it to you. But, maybe you should to a retirement home and beat up some old guy. It might boost your self esteem.
Old 02-15-2004   #13
neomp5
Dipshit for life!

neomp5 is an Almost Smart godneomp5 is an Almost Smart godneomp5 is an Almost Smart godneomp5 is an Almost Smart godneomp5 is an Almost Smart godneomp5 is an Almost Smart godneomp5 is an Almost Smart godneomp5 is an Almost Smart godneomp5 is an Almost Smart godneomp5 is an Almost Smart godneomp5 is an Almost Smart god

Quote:
Originally Said by Yugoloth
Once again, you demonstrate thorough lack of understanding of the issue, and quite frankly, i'm tired of trying to explain it to you. But, maybe you should to a retirement home and beat up some old guy. It might boost your self esteem.
maybe i'll justify it by saying he's still got the shotgun i gave him.
Old 02-15-2004   #14
HauntedMike
fear the hangover fairy

Quote:
Iraq was not selling us any oil, i don't believe. They had the piss sanctioned out of them by the UN. The only oil going out of Iraq was for the oil-for-food program. That program made many millions of dollars of profit for the UN, money which the organization was never held accountable for. It was probably pocketed, which might explain the UN's reluctance to support a war on Iraq.
Threat. Sanctions don't mean the end of threats... I was talking about all those oil fields that Iraqi forces could easily have embargoed again.

Quote:
As for the ends not justifying the means, imagine this scenario. A terrorist sneaks an atomic bomb into Manhattan. Millions die in the explosion, and the destruction of most of the major financial institutions in the US causes our economy to collapse (which would cause a worldwide recession, at least).

Well, Saddam supported terrorism, and he has tried in the past to start a nuclear program. Add those two things together, and an atomic bomb detonation in a major metropolitan area isn't an altogether unlikely scenario.
And that could still happen. Saddam isnt the only person who ever supported terrorism and/or tried to start a nuclear weapon. Was he really likely to support such a scheme? Who knows? Would we ever really find out who it was if it did happen? Unlikely.

-Mike
Old 02-15-2004   #15
Blackass
groingrabbingly good!

Blackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Blackass

Quote:
Wow, he's a communist and a elder abuser.
Blackass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004   #16
neomp5
Dipshit for life!

Quote:
Originally Said by Bleed Black
Wow, he's a communist and a elder abuser.
who, dubya?
Old 02-16-2004   #17
Yugoloth
-----

Quote:
maybe i'll justify it by saying he's still got the shotgun i gave him.
A better analogy would be to say that your uncle gave him the shotgun, then died. The old man now terrorizes the other geriatrics in the nursing home, so it's your responsibility to take the shotgun away from him.

Quote:
Originally Said by Munky
Threat. Sanctions don't mean the end of threats... I was talking about all those oil fields that Iraqi forces could easily have embargoed again.
Which oil fields? The Iraqi army was hardly in a position to embargo anyone.

Quote:
Originally Said by Munky
And that could still happen. Saddam isnt the only person who ever supported terrorism and/or tried to start a nuclear weapon. Was he really likely to support such a scheme? Who knows? Would we ever really find out who it was if it did happen? Unlikely.
You're right, it could still happen, but the likelyhood is now significantly reduced. Besides simply removing a possible instigator, Hussein's destruction will act as a deterrent to other countries, who will now realize the consequences of an attack on the United States (terrorist or otherwise). This is the first time that the US has ever taken any large-scale retaliation for terrorist acts. If we had taken definitive action in response to earlier terrorist attacks, then the terrorists might have had second thoughts about the 9/11 attacks.
Old 02-16-2004   #18
neomp5
Dipshit for life!

Quote:
A better analogy would be to say that your uncle gave him the shotgun, then died. The old man now terrorizes the other geriatrics in the nursing home, so it's your responsibility to take the shotgun away from him.
but he doesn't even have the shotgun anymore. he got rid of it when i told him to. i had threatened him with sending the nurses in to get it, so he got rid of it, at which point i said "forget about the nurses, i'm going in there myself". then i spent a week looking for him, and eventually found him in the closet, and still never found the shotgun, so i make up someting about him giving it to old osama down the hall. but we can't find him to prove it.
Old 02-16-2004   #19
poopy
The ?mægå Mån

poopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to poopy

you know what the weapons of mass destruction and the oil fields theory are in the same boat. both have yet to be proven yet all of you deny one as being totally false and except the other as truth.

personally i could care less if the actually reason for war was oil. it's not like we don't have enough to support ourselves but with the democratic party making a lot of those fields into national forests and such it is a bit hard to get to the oil. and OPEC making the prices higher because they have the market monopolized. and i got a question for you. do you ever complain about gas prices? i bet you all have. if this is about oil, our gas prices are going to spike downward.

and as for your "uncle" in the nursery home. we have him now and even if the shotgun is never found he still has info on the drugtrade of menthol, cough syrup and cigarettes in the nursery home as well as the bag of rat poison in his closet that was intended for some unsuspecting person's hot lunch
BEWARE: When eating snacks remember that the fruit roll-up factory feels the need to endanger our lives with a potentially suffocatingly thin transluscent plastic. I am outraged and currently on my way out the door to start a petition for a boycott of any and all fruit roll-up snacks. Please send me a message or post your name, telephone number, and address, and some one will be by to get your signature. Thank You
poopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004   #20
Yugoloth
-----

Quote:
but he doesn't even have the shotgun anymore. he got rid of it when i told him to. i had threatened him with sending the nurses in to get it, so he got rid of it, at which point i said "forget about the nurses, i'm going in there myself". then i spent a week looking for him, and eventually found him in the closet, and still never found the shotgun, so i make up someting about him giving it to old osama down the hall. but we can't find him to prove it.
Well, I suppose this is me laughing at you. I've made numerous posts about Hussein's WMDs. Obviously you don't care that there is compelling evidence that points toward his posession of WMDs.

But, to further our old man analogy, we found the shotgun, his fingerprints were on it, all that we didn't find were the shells. We did find lots and lots of bodies, though.