Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > The Lounge > Debate & Politics

Debate & Politics Fight! Fight! Fight! Keep your arguments clean, and be constructive about getting your point across.

Old 08-17-2008   #1
frunkbomb
Trainee Member

frunkbomb is doing greatfrunkbomb is doing great
At least I don't plaster on the makeup like a trollup

Apparently McCain called his wife a trollup and a c*nt at one point after she teased his thinning hair. Did this actually happen? How come this hasn't been brought to light? Are we to seriously consider this to be presidential behavior?

I picked it up from this list of 127 Republicans involved in explicit behavior.

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/20...131/885/565586
Old 08-17-2008   #2
Jenn and tonic
"maaaaagic!"

Jenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Jenn and tonic
Re: At least I don't plaster on the makeup like a trollup

I looked at the article--I mean, editorial-- and didn't see one source listed.

Unbiased source of this, please?
When all government, in little as in great things, shall be drawn to Washington as the Center of all power, it will render powerless the checks provided of one government on another and will become as venal and oppressive as the government from which we separated. Thomas Jefferson
Jenn and tonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008   #3
my.dragons.lady
happy heretic

my.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond repute

The author of Daily Kos is a former law student turned journalist. He likes to push limits too, but he's usually got a lot of people keeping him straight. Not sure, but sometimes it seems like he's not above putting something out deliberately it seems he should be more aware of, then waits to be called out on about. Who knows.

However, poor behavior does not discriminate. Journalists and politicians alike seem to enjoy pushing boundaries everyone else is supposed to stay within. Doesn't make it ok, but that's how it is because it costs too much in terms of money and bad careers moves to call these people out for their bad behavior. "They don't eat their own" is the rule of thumb until a stoolie is needed, or until someone does that can't be easily swept under a rug.

"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need." ~~ Cicero

"Let food be your medicine and medicine be your food." ~~ Hippocrates

"Trust, but verify." ~~ Damon Runyon * Said to me by Andy Stephenson of Hacking Democracy, in memory of and one account. Miss you much, Andy.
my.dragons.lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008   #4
cstoll
?!

cstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond repute

I think it came from the book "The Real McCain," and there were apparently five witnesses--two reporters, three of McCain's staff.

I don't care if it's true. There are a lot of reasons why he shouldn't be president.

This isn't one of them.

Seriously, why should this matter?

"I have a plan so cunning you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel."
--Blackadder

Last edited by cstoll; 08-17-2008 at 09:01 PM.
cstoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008   #5
my.dragons.lady
happy heretic

my.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond repute

^ What cstoll said. Not a valid point of contention.

"Trust, but verify." ~~ Damon Runyon * Said to me by Andy Stephenson of Hacking Democracy, in memory of and one account. Miss you much, Andy.
Old 08-17-2008   #6
BrockSamson
Semper Fi

BrockSamson is respected by allBrockSamson is respected by allBrockSamson is respected by allBrockSamson is respected by allBrockSamson is respected by allBrockSamson is respected by allBrockSamson is respected by all
Send a message via AIM to BrockSamson

I doubt its true, even with anger problems she would of had to do more than just that to get that reaction out of him, and the fact he would be dumb enough to do it in front of reporters, is hardly realistic he has enough political background to know better than that, even if he wanted to say it out loud.

Fuckin Right you are.
PBJT:
http://kuoi.com/~davidcb/sounds/banana.swf
396 LT1, 639 rwhp N/A
BrockSamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008   #7
hai Jay
Time for breakfast!!!

hai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond repute

is a trollup the same as a troll? what the hell is a trollup? and yes, i doubt this story is true. do old men really use the word cunt?
Old 08-17-2008   #8
my.dragons.lady
happy heretic

Quote:
Originally Said by Panda View Post
is a trollup the same as a troll? what the hell is a trollup?
A trollop could be a floozy, tramp, etc.

Quote:
and yes, i doubt this story is true. do old men really use the word cunt?
Yup. So do women.

Old 08-17-2008   #9
hai Jay
Time for breakfast!!!

hai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond repute

haha ok then. :-P
Old 08-18-2008   #10
GoddessDivine
I move the stars for no one.

GoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to GoddessDivine Send a message via Skype™ to GoddessDivine

cunt is something a person says to another in hopes of receiving a black eye
-Obi Wan

GoddessDivine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008   #11
EmperorChaos
Ruin you like this website.

Location: Charleston, South Carolina, United States, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster
EmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to EmperorChaos Send a message via AIM to EmperorChaos Send a message via MSN to EmperorChaos Send a message via Yahoo to EmperorChaos

McCain used the word "cunt"? That's it! I'm voting for him!
The first thing that came into being, void and without form, a lifeless lump, unfashioned and unframed, the Prima Materia from which all comes, influenced by forms and given structure by matter it becomes all that is, with increase in entropy it is into which all shall fall, endlessly and in all directions, a self-reflexive paradox.
-=-=-=-
"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." -Isaac Asimov
EmperorChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008   #12
psychoDiablo
Thx for the memories

psychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to psychoDiablo Send a message via Yahoo to psychoDiablo

I'd call his wife a cunt too. I dont even know who she is.

To chill is to be chillin.
Chillin is cooperating with your surroundings, unknowing'st of what everything is capable of; and all the while, as it happens and after, to accept without any thought of good or bad, but mainly, just enjoying rather deeply, the moment you had to sit and think. (Not thinking.)

|-Mr.MCR-|

Will you write
Will you love
Will you enjoy
Life when I am gone?
You will.
by Angelina

"I have lived life as horrible as it was, and as beautiful as it has become."
psychoDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008   #13
my.dragons.lady
happy heretic

Then you guys can share the prize for arbitrary name calling :.) I'm sure there's a trophy sitting around somewhere waiting to be claimed. Probably that pink squishy dog toy

Old 08-18-2008   #14
frunkbomb
Trainee Member

Believe me, I know McCain's policies and political behaviors and they stand as main reasons why he shouldn't be elected. But hopefully you hold US presidents to a certain standard of personal conduct...?
Old 08-18-2008   #15
cstoll
?!

cstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by frunkbomb View Post
Believe me, I know McCain's policies and political behaviors and they stand as main reasons why he shouldn't be elected. But hopefully you hold US presidents to a certain standard of personal conduct...?
Sure, but I don't put that much weight on it (and not just because I don't consider the source completely reliable). The personal conduct of many presidents has been really disappointing (to put it mildly). That doesn't mean that we should lower the standard, but I think it should provide some perspective.

And with the US political system, with the lack of multiple presidential options between two polarized parties, we're stuck with these two candidates. So, unless one of them has done something tremendously awful, most people are still going to vote their party.

If John Edwards had been the nominee, his affair would have been disappointing, but I still would've voted for him.

And this kind of stuff detracts from the serious and harder-to-discuss issues.

For instance, McCain wants to overturn Roe vs. Wade. He also claims to "support the troops," but has voted against numerous measures that would do just that.

His continuation of a politics based on fear? And his shift on torture? His attitude toward the rights of foreigners detained indefinitely as suspects? That is some scary shit, much more offensive than what he may or may not have called his wife.

So, yeah, that barely registers for me.

"I have a plan so cunning you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel."
--Blackadder
cstoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008   #16
psychoDiablo
Thx for the memories

psychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yes.
I want them to not be little politically-correct bitches. I want McCain to call his wife a cunt, because it let's me know he's just as human as I am.
I'm not voting for McCain though.

Chillin is cooperating with your surroundings, unknowing'st of what everything is capable of; and all the while, as it happens and after, to accept without any thought of good or bad, but mainly, just enjoying rather deeply, the moment you had to sit and think. (Not thinking.)

|-Mr.MCR-|

Will you write
Will you love
Will you enjoy
Life when I am gone?
You will.
by Angelina

Old 08-18-2008   #17
Jugband
Andrew's spokesman

Jugband has a reputation beyond reputeJugband has a reputation beyond reputeJugband has a reputation beyond reputeJugband has a reputation beyond reputeJugband has a reputation beyond reputeJugband has a reputation beyond reputeJugband has a reputation beyond reputeJugband has a reputation beyond reputeJugband has a reputation beyond reputeJugband has a reputation beyond reputeJugband has a reputation beyond repute

I think McCain should plaster on the makeup like a trollop...

Jugband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008   #18
psychoDiablo
Thx for the memories

I hope when Obama becomes Pres. that a white man doesn't assassinate him.

|-Mr.MCR-|

Will you write
Will you love
Will you enjoy
Life when I am gone?
You will.
by Angelina

Old 08-18-2008   #19
frunkbomb
Trainee Member

Quote:
Originally Said by psychoDiablo View Post
Yes.
I want them to not be little politically-correct bitches. I want McCain to call his wife a cunt, because it let's me know he's just as human as I am.
And it would let everyone else know that he's no more presidential than you are. Do you honestly think that's a smart way to look at it? Knowing that a man has no regrets for the consequences of his words, and identifying with that makes him electable?
Old 08-18-2008   #20
psychoDiablo
Thx for the memories

Quote:
And it would let everyone else know that he's no more presidential than you are. Do you honestly think that's a smart way to look at it? Knowing that a man has no regrets for the consequences of his words, and identifying with that makes him electable?
He's no more presidential than anyone on this forum.

LOL the consequences of his words. You must be one to get offended all the time right? I better not talk to you then. Plus, I don't see why people care that he calls his wife a cunt. Maybe she fucking is? As long as he doesn't call the whole of America cunts. I have no problem with whatever he or anyone says.

How is a man calling his own wife a cunt going to affect the rest of America in general? Why does that bother you? She's not your wife.

|-Mr.MCR-|

Will you write
Will you love
Will you enjoy
Life when I am gone?
You will.
by Angelina