Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > AlmostSmartism > Front Page

Front Page The threads which appears on the front page. Add your comments or create your own front page threads.

Old 08-28-2007   #1
Guinness And Mohawks
So cut me open and hear me bleed

Guinness And Mohawks has a reputation beyond reputeGuinness And Mohawks has a reputation beyond reputeGuinness And Mohawks has a reputation beyond reputeGuinness And Mohawks has a reputation beyond reputeGuinness And Mohawks has a reputation beyond reputeGuinness And Mohawks has a reputation beyond reputeGuinness And Mohawks has a reputation beyond reputeGuinness And Mohawks has a reputation beyond reputeGuinness And Mohawks has a reputation beyond reputeGuinness And Mohawks has a reputation beyond reputeGuinness And Mohawks has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Guinness And Mohawks Send a message via Yahoo to Guinness And Mohawks
Vick pleads guilty

Quote:
Vick gives guilty plea
Sentencing date set for Dec. 10

By JEREMY REDMON
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 08/28/07 Richmond, Va. — After pleading guilty to federal dogfighting charges Monday, Falcons quarterback Michael Vick apologized to the world, asked for forgiveness and promised to redeem himself as he faces what could be more than a year in prison.
"I want to apologize for all the things that I have done and that I have allowed to happen," Vick said after federal Judge Henry E. Hudson set his sentencing date for Dec. 10. "I totally ask for forgiveness and understanding as I move forward to better Michael Vick the person, not the football player."
Vick, who has admitted to helping kill pit bulls that did not measure up as fighters, was not specific about the actions he regretted. But he called dogfighting "a terrible thing" he rejects.
Speaking slowly and softly, the 27-year-old ex-Virginia Tech star also declared that he had "found Jesus" as part of his ordeal and has turned his life over to God. He did not take questions after speaking in a conference room at the Omni Richmond Hotel.
"I accept responsibility for my actions and what I did. And now I have to pay the consequences for it," Vick said, perhaps hoping Judge Hudson will hear his remorseful comments before sentencing.
"In a sense, I think it will help me as a person. I have a lot to think about in the next year or so."
Vick specifically apologized to NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, Falcons owner Arthur Blank, Falcons coach Bobby Petrino and his teammates.
The NFL suspended Vick indefinitely last week after the details of his plea deal with prosecutors became public. The league will review Vick's status after his legal proceedings are over.
Blank held his own news conference in Atlanta soon after Vick spoke, saying he thought the quarterback's comments were sincere and heartfelt. Blank said he accepted Vick's apologies, some of which have been personal, including a phone conversation last Monday.
But Blank also said he was "profoundly disappointed" in Vick and asserted the quarterback had damaged the reputation of the Falcons and the NFL and betrayed the trust of many people.
Blank, however, said the Falcons have no immediate plans to cut Vick, citing legal concerns. He was also noncommittal about whether Vick would take the field again for the Falcons, though he held out the possibility that Vick could one day play again in the NFL.
The Falcons must keep Vick on the roster while the team attempts to recoup nearly $22 million in signing bonus money paid to him, Falcons president and general manager Rich McKay said.
The Falcons, who signed Vick to a $130 million contract extension in 2004, sent a letter to Vick's representatives Monday stating the team's demands.
"Cutting him may feel better today emotionally for us and many of our fans, but it is not in the long-term best interest of our franchise," Blank said. "Decisions relating to Michael's status with our team are tied to legal, financial and contractual personnel issues that still must be sorted out."
As Vick entered the courthouse, his supporters — some wearing his No. 7 jersey — cheered him, while his critics, who outnumbered the supporters, loudly booed. Once inside, Vick pleaded guilty to one count of conspiracy to cross state lines to engage in illegal gambling, to sponsor a dog in an animal fighting venture and to buy, transport and receive dogs for animal fighting.
His three co-defendants in the case pleaded guilty in recent weeks.
As part of his plea deal with prosecutors, Vick admitted to bankrolling a business called Bad Newz Kennels to raise and train pit bulls for dogfights on his property in Virginia and in other states. He said he funded most of the money to operate the business and bet on the fights. And he admitted to being involved in killing several pit bulls that did not make the grade as fighters.
The case stems from a drug investigation involving Vick's cousin — Davon Boddie — on property Vick owns in rural Surry County, Va. Boddie listed the property as his address after being arrested on a drug charge in April. After they investigated the property, authorities said they found kennels, treadmills, a "rape stand" used to restrain aggressive female dogs during breeding, and 54 pit bulls, some with scars and injuries officials said are consistent with dog fighting.
U.S. Attorney Chuck Rosenberg, whose office prosecuted Vick, said the charges in the case usually carry up to six months in prison under federal sentencing guidelines.
But Vick, Rosenberg said, warrants a longer prison sentence of between 12 and 18 months because "the conduct in this conspiracy was heinous, cruel and inhumane."
Rosenberg's office has promised to recommend a sentence on the low end of that range in exchange for his guilty plea and cooperation with their investigation. Hudson, however, is not bound by that recommendation and could impose a longer sentence. He reminded Vick that his offense could carry up to five years in prison and $250,000 in fines. Hudson also noted that — through his plea deal — Vick has waived his right to appeal his sentence.
"You are taking your chances here," Hudson warned Vick. "You will have to live with whatever decision I make."
Wearing a dark blue suit and checkered yellow tie, Vick said little during his 15-minute court hearing, stating only "yes sir" and "no sir" in response to Hudson's questions. When Hudson asked for his plea, Vick clearly declared "guilty." His attorney, Billy Martin, spoke to reporters just outside the courthouse after the hearing.
"We hope that Judge Hudson will see the real Michael Vick. What you are seeing is an aberration," Martin said. "We think Judge Hudson will get it right when he sentences Mr. Vick on Dec. 10."
The U.S. attorney's office released a statement concerning the dogs originally seized from Vick's property. The office will ask the court for an order declaring the dogs property of the United States. The animals will then be assessed by the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) as to their disposition. The options for the dogs would be to adopt them out, if possible, or euthanize them.
"The public can be assured that careful consideration will be given to the ultimate disposition of the dogs involved in this matter," the statement read.

personally i think the judge should order him into a pit, to fight a pissed off pit bull... oh wait, that'd be cruel and unusual.

Shamless Promotion: Check out The 2nd Ward
Guinness And Mohawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007   #2
Jenn and tonic
"maaaaagic!"

Jenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Jenn and tonic
Re: Vick pleads guilty

I think he's sorry....

sorry he got caught.
When all government, in little as in great things, shall be drawn to Washington as the Center of all power, it will render powerless the checks provided of one government on another and will become as venal and oppressive as the government from which we separated. Thomas Jefferson
Jenn and tonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007   #3
Funk*Sonic*7
Im super cereal!

Location: Randomly by chance out of nowhere, b/c that's more plausible
Funk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond repute

Either one is a travesty, but has anybody notice how society seems to get more up in arms and upset about animal cruelty than when they hear about harm done to other innocent and defenseless humans like childern? What is up with that?
"God is the shaper of your heart. God does not display his work in abstract terms. He prefers the concrete, and this means that at the end of your life one of three things will happen to your heart: it will grow hard, it will be broken, or it will be tender. Nobody escapes." - Ravi Zacharias

Last edited by funksonic7; 09-04-2007 at 08:47 PM.
Funk*Sonic*7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007   #4
Guinness And Mohawks

Guinness And Mohawks has a reputation beyond reputeGuinness And Mohawks has a reputation beyond reputeGuinness And Mohawks has a reputation beyond reputeGuinness And Mohawks has a reputation beyond reputeGuinness And Mohawks has a reputation beyond reputeGuinness And Mohawks has a reputation beyond reputeGuinness And Mohawks has a reputation beyond reputeGuinness And Mohawks has a reputation beyond reputeGuinness And Mohawks has a reputation beyond reputeGuinness And Mohawks has a reputation beyond reputeGuinness And Mohawks has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Guinness And Mohawks Send a message via Yahoo to Guinness And Mohawks

Quote:
Originally Said by funksonic7 View Post
Either one is a trvesty but have anybody but me ever notice that society seems to get more up in arms and upset about animal cruelty than when they hear about harm done to other innocent and defenseless humans like childern? What is up with that?
that point was brought up on the radio yesterday morning, and if its an yconsolation, i fell that people who do cruel things to other humans or children should be dealt with in the same way i.e. a mother leaves her child in a hot car, lock her in a car on a hot in Nevada.

Old 08-30-2007   #5
saintsmythe
Newbie Member

saintsmythe should be rewarded

Quote:
Originally Said by Guinness And Mohawks View Post
that point was brought up on the radio yesterday morning, and if its an yconsolation, i fell that people who do cruel things to other humans or children should be dealt with in the same way i.e. a mother leaves her child in a hot car, lock her in a car on a hot in Nevada.
One year, when I was living in Nevada, there was a lady on the news who was getting arrested after taling her puppy into a store, but leaving her baby in the car.

When the reporters asked her why, she said, sobbing, "But... they always say on TV not to leave your pets in the car!"
saintsmythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007   #6
Jenn and tonic
"maaaaagic!"

Jenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Jenn and tonic

Quote:
Originally Said by funksonic7 View Post
Either one is a travesty but have anybody but me ever notice that society seems to get more up in arms and upset about animal cruelty than when they hear about harm done to other innocent and defenseless humans like childern? What is up with that?
Do you watch the news? Local news tends to talk about child abuse, national news does not, usually; it's not their forte. Society DOES get up in arms, you just don't see it because it tends to happen locally rather than on a national scale. I think a conviction of child abuse should make a person eligible for the death penalty...but that's just me.
When all government, in little as in great things, shall be drawn to Washington as the Center of all power, it will render powerless the checks provided of one government on another and will become as venal and oppressive as the government from which we separated. Thomas Jefferson
Jenn and tonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007   #7
Guinness And Mohawks

Quote:
Originally Said by Jenn and tonic View Post
Do you watch the news? Local news tends to talk about child abuse, national news does not, usually; it's not their forte. Society DOES get up in arms, you just don't see it because it tends to happen locally rather than on a national scale. I think a conviction of child abuse should make a person eligible for the death penalty...but that's just me.
i agree totally. and child molestors... grrfuck(yes that is a word in my dictionary) make their death slow and painful.