Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > The Lounge > General

General If it doesn't belong anywhere else it goes here.

Old 07-25-2007   #1
ablethevoice
Vintage Human

ablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to ablethevoice Send a message via Yahoo to ablethevoice
Jalepeno Peppers

Whoa!

I've been a real, dyed-in-the-wool fire eater since I was about 14. Growing up in New Mexico, I rapidly developed a love for really spicy Mexican food. Whether its hot green chili, hot red chili or Jalepenos, I love them all. Now that I live in Florida, I've been unable to get a really hot dish at any Mexican rastaurant that Bam and I have checked out. Flavorful, yes but not HOT! The canned green chili is wimpy. The bottled salsa is wimpy. The hot sauce is essentially salted vinegar with a tiny pip of heat to it and no flavor otherwise. Out of desperation, I started buying raw, fresh Jalepenos at the grocery store and eating them raw with almost every meal. They are fairly hot with a decent flavor and it's as close to really hot stuff that I've been able to get around here in the South where these goofy rednecks consider a bell pepper too hot. A couple of months ago, I accidentally let a Jalepeno sit in the vegetable drawer of the fridge too long and it had gone blecch. Instead of tossing it in the garbage, I decided to try and plant it in an empty pot with some gardening potting mix. Well, whaddayaknow? One of the seeds took off running and now I have a Jalepeno bush producing peppers like vegetable fireworks! I harvested the 9 or 10 largest peppers today leaving about 2 dozen still-growing ones on the bush as well as another dozen or so flowers. Dinner was 45 minutes ago and I'm still sweating my ass off! Those peppers were HOT!!! Far in excess of anything I'd had with the store-bought peppers! Maaaan I could barely taste dinner! What a rush! YUM! From the looks of that one bush, I'll have about a dozen peppers a week till the first freeze. Beats the hell out of the store bought ones- thats for DAMN sure! Think I'll make some homemade salsa...

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

"The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits." —Albert Einstein

“It's fortunate for governments that people don't think." - Adolph Hitler

Sturkis akidit ("shit happens") - Latin

Bent Ears Audio Laboratories - Better Music Through Chemistry

MUSIC IS LIKE CANDY. IT'S ONLY GOOD WHEN YOU GET RID OF ALL THE RAPPERS.
))#####D~~~~ (_l_)

Last edited by ablethevoice; 07-25-2007 at 08:56 PM.
ablethevoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007   #2
Bamcubz
WIFE - MOM - ME

Bamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jalepeno Peppers

I for one am not a fire eater. You should have seen Able sweating at the dinner table....LOL. My son could only eat 1/2 of his, saying he would save the rest for later, and that with him drinking a glass of sweet tea and water. Able gave me a couple to take to work tomorrow for a couple of my friends in the warehouse. You think I otta warn them??? NAWWWW.

At the beach, life passes differently. Time does not pass by the hours but by the moments and moods.
Bamcubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007   #3
ablethevoice
Vintage Human

ablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by Bamcubz View Post
I for one am not a fire eater. You should have seen Able sweating at the dinner table....LOL. My son could only eat 1/2 of his, saying he would save the rest for later, and that with him drinking a glass of sweet tea and water. Able gave me a couple to take to work tomorrow for a couple of my friends in the warehouse. You think I otta warn them??? NAWWWW.
Mwaaaaahaaaahaaaahaaaaa

"The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits." —Albert Einstein

))#####D~~~~ (_l_)
Old 07-26-2007   #4
EmperorChaos
Ruin you like this website.

Location: Charleston, South Carolina, United States, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster
EmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to EmperorChaos Send a message via AIM to EmperorChaos Send a message via MSN to EmperorChaos Send a message via Yahoo to EmperorChaos

This sounds like something I'm going to have to try. I am a firepepper-eater myself. I've gone various places looking for the hottest wings the place had to offer and they're nothing. I've heard of a place around here that supposedly gives you a free tab if you can eat 10 of their hottest wings but no one has been able to remember the name of this magical place.

They'd lose a hell of a lot of money if I stopped by. I eat chilis, tabasco, jalapeño, habanero, poblano peppers. Anything that's spicy and hot.

Able, have you ever tried a Naga pepper? They are supposed to be the hottest. I haven't had one yet but I imagine I'm going to throw up.
The first thing that came into being, void and without form, a lifeless lump, unfashioned and unframed, the Prima Materia from which all comes, influenced by forms and given structure by matter it becomes all that is, with increase in entropy it is into which all shall fall, endlessly and in all directions, a self-reflexive paradox.
-=-=-=-
"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." -Isaac Asimov
EmperorChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007   #5
ablethevoice
Vintage Human

Quote:
Originally Said by EmperorChaos View Post
This sounds like something I'm going to have to try. I am a firepepper-eater myself. I've gone various places looking for the hottest wings the place had to offer and they're nothing. I've heard of a place around here that supposedly gives you a free tab if you can eat 10 of their hottest wings but no one has been able to remember the name of this magical place.

They'd lose a hell of a lot of money if I stopped by. I eat chilis, tabasco, jalapeño, habanero, poblano peppers. Anything that's spicy and hot.

Able, have you ever tried a Naga pepper? They are supposed to be the hottest. I haven't had one yet but I imagine I'm going to throw up.
OOF!! I hadn't heard of those by name. That's a bit high on the Scoville rating to bite into directly but I'd sure try something prepared with Naga chili. To me, a pepper can't only be hot, it has to have flavor as well. That's why I like green chili. They are hot, but there's also an amazing flavor and aroma that they have which I find very appealing. One of the things I miss about living in New Mexico is the smell of green chilis roasting in the fall. Almost every grocery store in town sells raw green chili and has roasting cages out front for those who want the chili they just bought roasted. The smell is incredible. I actually had my neighbor come over to the house a few weeks ago when I had some chicken on the grill outside. I dropped a few Jalepeno peppers on the grill while the chicken was finishing and the incredible aroma of roasting jalepenos and chicken filled the air. That's what my neighbor came to investigate. He declined my offer of one of the finished peppers though.
Wuss.

From Wiki again:
Quote:
Scoville rating/ Type of pepper

15,000,000–16,000,000/ Pure capsaicin
9,100,000/ Nordihydrocapsaicin
2,000,000–5,300,000/ Standard US Grade pepper spray

855,000–1,041,427/ Naga Jolokia
350,000–577,000/ Red Savina Habanero
100,000–350,000/ Habanero Chile, Scotch Bonnet
100,000–200,000/ Jamaican Hot Pepper
50,000–100,000/ Thai Pepper, Malagueta Pepper, Chiltepin Pepper
30,000–50,000/ Cayenne Pepper, Ají pepper, Tabasco pepper
10,000–23,000/ Serrano Pepper
7,000–8,000/ Tabasco Sauce (Habanero)
5,000–10,000/ Wax Pepper
2,500–8,000/ Jalapeño Pepper
2,500–5,000/ Tabasco Sauce (Tabasco pepper)
1,500–2,500/ Rocotillo Pepper
1,000–1,500/ Poblano Pepper
600–800 Tabasco Sauce/ (Green Pepper)
500–1000/ Anaheim pepper
100–500/ Pimento Pepperoncini
0 No heat/ Bell pepper

))#####D~~~~ (_l_)
Old 07-28-2007   #6
Bamcubz
WIFE - MOM - ME

Bamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond repute

Snapped a pic of Tom's home grown peppers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jalapeno home grown.JPG (23.4 KB, 8 views)

At the beach, life passes differently. Time does not pass by the hours but by the moments and moods.
Bamcubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007   #7
ablethevoice
Vintage Human

Nice job Bam. That's only 3 of the almost 2 dozen in various states of maturity that one bush is producing. I think I'm glad I didn't plant 10 or 20 bushes...

))#####D~~~~ (_l_)
Old 07-29-2007   #8
EmperorChaos

Location: Charleston, South Carolina, United States, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster
EmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to EmperorChaos Send a message via AIM to EmperorChaos Send a message via MSN to EmperorChaos Send a message via Yahoo to EmperorChaos

And you're saying all you did was put a pepper-gone-bad in the ground? I should really try this.
The first thing that came into being, void and without form, a lifeless lump, unfashioned and unframed, the Prima Materia from which all comes, influenced by forms and given structure by matter it becomes all that is, with increase in entropy it is into which all shall fall, endlessly and in all directions, a self-reflexive paradox.
-=-=-=-
"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." -Isaac Asimov
Old 07-29-2007   #9
ablethevoice
Vintage Human

Quote:
And you're saying all you did was put a pepper-gone-bad in the ground? I should really try this.
Yes... actually I put in about 4 peppers that I found languishing in the crisper drawer. Three seeds in one pepper sprouted very close to one another but one of the plants is definitely the "largest in the litter". The seeds in the other peppers didn't germinate. And they were put not in the "ground', but in a pot with basic potting soil. The pot is probably a 5 or 6 gallon size. The only special attention the plant gets besides watering when the soil dries out to a depth at which I can insert my finger is a weekly feeding with Miracle Gro. This bush is visibly adding new growth every day and is increasing its height by a good 3 or 4 inches per week. After about 45 days I'm guessing its near 3 feet tall and still growing.

))#####D~~~~ (_l_)
Old 07-29-2007   #10
EmperorChaos

Wow. That seems relatively easy. I used be a bit of a horticulturalist back in high school but I've since not been one for gardening. But I've got everything I need to get my own pepper plant growing.

I'll have to get some peppers is all. And I'll give this a shot. I eat jalapenos so often it'd be ridiculous for me not to do this.
-=-=-=-
Old 07-29-2007   #11
ablethevoice
Vintage Human

Yeah. If you buy them fresh at the store and have gotten used to the Scofield they deliver, be prepared for a surprise because these that come straight off the bush are easily 10X hotter than the ones I've been getting from the produce section of WalMart.

))#####D~~~~ (_l_)
Old 08-17-2007   #12
ablethevoice
Vintage Human

OK so I double-posted. I'll do penance by eating my superhot peppers. Here's today's harvest. I check the bush every Friday- well, actually I check it every day to make sure there aren't any pepper hornworms on it because those bastards can defoliate a bush in one day. Anyway, here's a look at today's yield.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Harvest 8 17 07.jpg (64.5 KB, 10 views)

))#####D~~~~ (_l_)
Old 08-17-2007   #13
casandra
I'm not bad, I'm just drawn that way..

casandra has a reputation beyond reputecasandra has a reputation beyond reputecasandra has a reputation beyond reputecasandra has a reputation beyond reputecasandra has a reputation beyond reputecasandra has a reputation beyond reputecasandra has a reputation beyond reputecasandra has a reputation beyond reputecasandra has a reputation beyond reputecasandra has a reputation beyond reputecasandra has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to casandra

very nice! me and my dad grew some last year...too bad it's too late, because yours make me want to start some of my own! ispeaking of growing hot ass peppers, my grandfather's....he's a mexican wildman. he has home grown habanero's...he grows orange habanero, red savina, pequin, white bullet habanero...he even gets the indian pc-1, which i think is ridiculous to eat!, but don't know much about... no way jose!
casandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007   #14
EmperorChaos

I just put mine in a pot two days ago. So far, no signs of life, but that is to be expected.
-=-=-=-
Old 08-17-2007   #15
Demento
Banned

Demento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Demento Send a message via MSN to Demento

Sadly, i have no tolerance for spicy foods whatsoever. Even Foods that arent considered 'hot'... just the spicy flavoring alone, i cant handle. About the hottest i can handle is the most mild of hot sauces.. even then, its like half a drop for a whole bite.

Demento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007   #16
ablethevoice
Vintage Human

Quote:
Originally Said by Demento View Post
Sadly, i have no tolerance for spicy foods whatsoever. Even Foods that arent considered 'hot'... just the spicy flavoring alone, i cant handle. About the hottest i can handle is the most mild of hot sauces.. even then, its like half a drop for a whole bite.
That's too bad, bro. Most hot peppers contain at least 10 times the vitamin C and antioxidants that orange juice does... if you can get past the heat, they are really quite good for you.

))#####D~~~~ (_l_)
Old 08-17-2007   #17
EmperorChaos

Tom, have you tried adding them to your grits yet?
-=-=-=-
Old 08-17-2007   #18
ablethevoice
Vintage Human

Quote:
Tom, have you tried adding them to your grits yet?
Oh hell yeah!
I had a fat bowl of green grits and butter with my eggs on...ummm... Monday or Tuesday.

))#####D~~~~ (_l_)
Old 08-17-2007   #19
saintsmythe
Newbie Member

saintsmythe should be rewarded

I love spicy food with a passion... unfortunately, anything hotter than a pepperoncini tears up my stomach and leaves me in agony for a day or so. :(
saintsmythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007   #20
EmperorChaos

Hey able, saw you looking at this thread and thought I'd update you on my luck with pepper growing.

No. It didn't work. I was trying to plant them too late in the season anyway, I think. Oh well... I'll try again next year.
-=-=-=-