Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > The Lounge > Debate & Politics

Debate & Politics Fight! Fight! Fight! Keep your arguments clean, and be constructive about getting your point across.

Old 08-13-2007   #1
Jenn and tonic
"maaaaagic!"

Jenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Jenn and tonic
Karl Rove's Out

I thought I would beat Madre to the punch and post this. And I'm posting it in the POLITICS fourm, that way I don't see something like 'The Criminal's Finally Gone' or something like that posted on the front page.

But in truth, I really, really, really don't care that Karl Rove's leaving the White House. Anyone else really care? No! Or at least, you shouldn't.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/08/...ign/index.html

Quote:
The president and Rove are expected to speak before boarding Marine One at the White House at 11:35 a.m. ET. Bush will head to his Crawford, Texas, ranch where he will remain for the rest of the week.
Rove, who has held a top position in the White House since Bush took office in January 2001, is to stand down on August 31.

"I just think it's time," Rove told the Wall Street Journal. "There's always something that can keep you here, and as much as I'd like to be here, I've got to do this for the sake of my family."

He denied that his departure is designed to avoid congressional scrutiny as the Democrat-controlled Congress subpoenas White House staffers to testify in the case of several fired U.S. attorneys.
"I know they'll say that," Rove told the Wall Street Journal, "But I'm not going to stay or leave based on whether it pleases the mob."
Both Rove and Scott Jennings, who is a special assistant to the president and deputy political director, were subpoenaed by the Senate Judiciary Committee, which is investigating the fired attorneys case.
Rove did not testify as ordered by the subpoena earlier this month, which angered panel Chairman Sen. Patrick Leahy, D-Vermont. White House Counsel Fred Fielding informed the committee that Rove, "as an immediate adviser to the president," can't be ordered to testify and was told by the White House not to attend.

The author of Monday's newspaper piece, Paul Gigot, said Rove "knows he'll continue to be a target, even from afar," because of widespread belief that his influence extends into every aspect of White House decision making.
Bush nicknamed Rove "the architect" for creating the plan that won the White House in 2000 and 2004.

"I'm a myth. There's the Mark of Rove," he told Gigot. "I read about some of the things I'm supposed to have done, and I have to try not to laugh." Gigot writes that Rove believes "the real target is Mr. Bush, whom many Democrats have never accepted as a legitimate president and 'never will.'"
Rove told the newspaper that he would leave Washington to return to Texas and that he had first suggested the idea of leaving a year ago.
However a series of problems for the Bush administration, starting when the Democrats took control of Congress and then as immigration and the Iraq war topped the agenda, made the enormously powerful Rove stay on.

But one of Bush's most trusted advisers claimed his hand was forced when White House Chief of Staff Joshua Bolten announced that any senior staff working past Labor Day [September 3] would be expected to stay on until the end of Bush's term.

Rove, who was instrumental in all aspects of the executive conservative agenda, told the Wall Street Journal that he expected the president's approval ratings to rise and that conditions in Iraq would improve due to the work of the U.S. military.

Rove also took the opportunity to fire a parting shot at the Democrats, adding that he thought Hillary Clinton -- a "tough, tenacious, fatally flawed candidate" -- would win the 2008 presidential nomination.

Loved by conservatives but a hate figure for many Democrats, Rove said he expected his rival party to be divided over the wireless wiretapping issue while the Republicans should come out top in economic issues closer to the 2008 poll.
When all government, in little as in great things, shall be drawn to Washington as the Center of all power, it will render powerless the checks provided of one government on another and will become as venal and oppressive as the government from which we separated. Thomas Jefferson
Jenn and tonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007   #2
Blackass
groingrabbingly good!

Blackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Blackass
Re: Karl Rove's Out

Ah yes, another member of the Bush administration taken out by the democratic witch hunt. The sad thing is that we'll never really know whether or not Karl Rove was a good guy because, thanks to the liberal-run parts of the media, all we hear is what the democrats have had to say about him. Looking over his "scandals," it seems like a whole lot of accusing and very little proving.

But I guess it is not terrible that he's leaving...one less person for the democrats to bitch about.
Blackass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007   #3
Madre
Double Plus Good Mod!

Madre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond repute

hahahahahaha, the "liberal media"? You've got to be kidding me? That's Reaganesque 80's talk. There's been no liberal media since Rupert Murdoch started buying up most of the media outlets.

The rats are leaving the sinking ship! Look out! Look out! (Kind of reminds me of the good ole days in Nixon's waning presidency.)
III.IIVIVIXIIVIVIIIVVIIIIXVIIIXIIIIIIIIVIIIIVVIIIV IIVIIIIIIVIII - Solomon (I Kings 7:23)

Last edited by Madre; 08-13-2007 at 09:45 AM.
Madre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007   #4
saintsmythe
Newbie Member

saintsmythe should be rewarded

He's simply leaving to help Giuliani with *his* campaign.
saintsmythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007   #5
Higgins
mudpuppet is colored

Higgins has a reputation beyond reputeHiggins has a reputation beyond reputeHiggins has a reputation beyond reputeHiggins has a reputation beyond reputeHiggins has a reputation beyond reputeHiggins has a reputation beyond reputeHiggins has a reputation beyond reputeHiggins has a reputation beyond reputeHiggins has a reputation beyond reputeHiggins has a reputation beyond reputeHiggins has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Higgins Send a message via Yahoo to Higgins

Quote:
Originally Said by Madre View Post
There's been no liberal media since Rupert Murdoch started buying up most of the media outlets.

Higgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007   #6
EmperorChaos
Ruin you like this website.

Location: Charleston, South Carolina, United States, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster
EmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to EmperorChaos Send a message via AIM to EmperorChaos Send a message via MSN to EmperorChaos Send a message via Yahoo to EmperorChaos

I absolutely adore Karl Rove. He's one of my heroes, he is. After all, he's a college dropout with Machiavellian political strategy coupled with an Orwellian ideology. What ambition! If only I could be driven to perform such feats, I'd surely be well on my way to global domination.

Rove's just an idiot for being in the shadow of a dumbass. He could have conquered the polls himself what with his debasing trickery.

"The answer is of course, that it would be best to be both loved and feared. But since the two rarely come together, anyone compelled to choose will find greater security in being feared than in being loved."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

"A few agents of the thought Police moved always among them, spreading false rumours and marking down and eliminating the few individuals who were judged capable of becoming dangerous..."
-George Orwell

Ring a bell? *coughs*
The first thing that came into being, void and without form, a lifeless lump, unfashioned and unframed, the Prima Materia from which all comes, influenced by forms and given structure by matter it becomes all that is, with increase in entropy it is into which all shall fall, endlessly and in all directions, a self-reflexive paradox.
-=-=-=-
"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." -Isaac Asimov
EmperorChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007   #7
Jenn and tonic
"maaaaagic!"

Jenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond repute

EC, your post cracked me up. Remind me never, ever, ever to support you in your coup attempt.
When all government, in little as in great things, shall be drawn to Washington as the Center of all power, it will render powerless the checks provided of one government on another and will become as venal and oppressive as the government from which we separated. Thomas Jefferson
Old 08-13-2007   #8
EmperorChaos

Location: Charleston, South Carolina, United States, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster
EmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to EmperorChaos Send a message via AIM to EmperorChaos Send a message via MSN to EmperorChaos Send a message via Yahoo to EmperorChaos

Quote:
Originally Said by Jenn and tonic View Post
EC, your post cracked me up. Remind me never, ever, ever to support you in your coup attempt.
Why thank you.

And I'll remind you, when I come to kill you for you know too much. Muhuhuhuhuhahahahahahahaha!

And, as I've grown older and wiser, I realize the futility of my ambition for my global empire, hence I have given it up in pursuit of a more noble aspiration: namely, the writing of an epic novel in which a character (based off a certain young emperor of the Hellenistic age as well as yours truly) does manage to conquer the world "with a little help from [his] friends".

I'll be posting a chapter out of that novel on the board here once I've finalized it. The chapter is finished but in the draft stages. I need to refine it somewhat before publishing it.

-=-=-=-=-

After Mr. Rove is done spending time with his family, I wonder what he'll do next?
The first thing that came into being, void and without form, a lifeless lump, unfashioned and unframed, the Prima Materia from which all comes, influenced by forms and given structure by matter it becomes all that is, with increase in entropy it is into which all shall fall, endlessly and in all directions, a self-reflexive paradox.
-=-=-=-
"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." -Isaac Asimov
Old 08-13-2007   #9
Jenn and tonic
"maaaaagic!"

Quote:
Originally Said by EmperorChaos View Post
Why thank you.

And I'll remind you, when I come to kill you for you know too much. Muhuhuhuhuhahahahahahahaha!
At least I'll have died for a good cause, fought the good fight, and all that junk. I'll die with a copy of 1984 in my hand.

Quote:
And, as I've grown older and wiser, I realize the futility of my ambition for my global empire, hence I have given it up in pursuit of a more noble aspiration: namely, the writing of an epic novel in which a character (based off a certain young emperor of the Hellenistic age as well as yours truly) does manage to conquer the world "with a little help from [his] friends".

I'll be posting a chapter out of that novel on the board here once I've finalized it. The chapter is finished but in the draft stages. I need to refine it somewhat before publishing it.
Interesting, I look forward to reading that chapter.

Quote:
-=-=-=-=-

After Mr. Rove is done spending time with his family, I wonder what he'll do next?
My guess? Political consulting. Even if they deny it, absolutely everyone's a career politician in Washington.
Old 08-13-2007   #10
EmperorChaos

Quote:
Originally Said by Bleed Black View Post
Ah yes, another member of the Bush administration taken out by the democratic witch hunt.
Dems go after people. Republicans go after ideas. People can be stopped. Ideas cannot. I have to say the Democrats are on the right page with this one.

Quote:
The sad thing is that we'll never really know whether or not Karl Rove was a good guy because, thanks to the liberal-run parts of the media, all we hear is what the democrats have had to say about him. Looking over his "scandals," it seems like a whole lot of accusing and very little proving.
Maybe the "liberal-run parts of the media" are the only ones to say anything because the conservative run parts of the media don't want to draw any attention to their fledgling party deity?

Quote:
Originally Said by Madre View Post
hahahahahaha, the "liberal media"? You've got to be kidding me? That's Reaganesque 80's talk. There's been no liberal media since Rupert Murdoch started buying up most of the media outlets.
Hahahahaha.... you're kinda right though.

Quote:
The rats are leaving the sinking ship! Look out! Look out! (Kind of reminds me of the good ole days in Nixon's waning presidency.)
Don't you *ever* refer to the 1970s as the good ole days! Nothing about that decade was good. I'm glad I was born after it because otherwise I may have been tainted by its terrible decadence!

Ehh, it's been going downhill ever since the 70s.
-=-=-=-
Old 08-14-2007   #11
Higgins
mudpuppet is colored

Higgins has a reputation beyond reputeHiggins has a reputation beyond reputeHiggins has a reputation beyond reputeHiggins has a reputation beyond reputeHiggins has a reputation beyond reputeHiggins has a reputation beyond reputeHiggins has a reputation beyond reputeHiggins has a reputation beyond reputeHiggins has a reputation beyond reputeHiggins has a reputation beyond reputeHiggins has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Higgins Send a message via Yahoo to Higgins

Quote:
Originally Said by EmperorChaos View Post

So... the main character is Ringo Starr?
Higgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007   #12
tynie
You're Klaus Nomi, I'm Etta James

tynie has a reputation beyond reputetynie has a reputation beyond reputetynie has a reputation beyond reputetynie has a reputation beyond reputetynie has a reputation beyond reputetynie has a reputation beyond reputetynie has a reputation beyond reputetynie has a reputation beyond reputetynie has a reputation beyond reputetynie has a reputation beyond reputetynie has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to tynie Send a message via MSN to tynie Send a message via Yahoo to tynie

Quote:

But I guess it is not terrible that he's leaving...one less person for the democrats to bitch about.
well we still have you.

LOOK A DEM, IN THE BUSHES! HE'S GOT A WELFARE MOMMY! AND A GAY MEXICAN! WATCH OUT, HE'S GOING BUILD A PLANNED PARENTHOOD!!

HEEEEHEHEHE! I'll get you and your little administration too. HEEEHEEEHEE!
What I want is to be needed. What I need is to be indispensable to somebody. Who I need is somebody that will eat up all my free time, my ego, my attention. Somebody addicted to me. A mutual addiction.-Choke, Chuck Palahniuk
tynie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007   #13
Blackass
groingrabbingly good!

Blackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond repute

Thems fightin wurdds
Old 08-14-2007   #14
EmperorChaos

Quote:
Originally Said by Higgins View Post
So... the main character is Ringo Starr?
Ringo Starr doesn't have any friends. Duh.

Quote:
Originally Said by tynie View Post
well we still have you.

LOOK A DEM, IN THE BUSHES! HE'S GOT A WELFARE MOMMY! AND A GAY MEXICAN! WATCH OUT, HE'S GOING BUILD A PLANNED PARENTHOOD!!
Funny Tyne. Funny.

Quote:
Thems fightin wurdds

Slap her.
-=-=-=-
Old 08-14-2007   #15
tynie

tynie has a reputation beyond reputetynie has a reputation beyond reputetynie has a reputation beyond reputetynie has a reputation beyond reputetynie has a reputation beyond reputetynie has a reputation beyond reputetynie has a reputation beyond reputetynie has a reputation beyond reputetynie has a reputation beyond reputetynie has a reputation beyond reputetynie has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to tynie Send a message via MSN to tynie Send a message via Yahoo to tynie

Quote:
Thems fightin wurdds
ROAH I AM UBERLIBERAL, FEEL MY FEMINIST VAGINA HAVING SEX BEFORE MARRAGE....IN CANADA! RARGH HEALTHCARE IMMA EAT ANN FOR BREAKFAST.

but in all serious, there's no liberal boogeyman. or boogeyperson if you really think were that uppity pc. we have gay mexican abortion healthcare rallies to attend, so we have better things to do.

i dont speak for all of them. hell, democrats are equally bad as republican'ts. vacant talking heads, the lot of them. I dont want attacks on each other, look what we've accomplished. JACK SHIT SON. Suck it up, take it like men and women, and CHANGE THIS SHIT. God. Grin and bear it, cause if all you do is bitch and gripe about party X or moral Z, you do absolutely nothing.
What I want is to be needed. What I need is to be indispensable to somebody. Who I need is somebody that will eat up all my free time, my ego, my attention. Somebody addicted to me. A mutual addiction.-Choke, Chuck Palahniuk
Old 08-15-2007   #16
Blackass
groingrabbingly good!

I know. I only bitch about democrats here on AS because most members are dems and I get a good response.
Old 08-15-2007   #17
tynie

Quote:
I know. I only bitch about democrats here on AS because most members are dems and I get a good response.
so your pulling a franken-coultier and getting attention as opposed to stating views legitimately?

i dont want to sound hypocritical, but that aint getting the point accross
Old 08-16-2007   #18
Blackass
groingrabbingly good!

Nah. I don't do it all the time.
Old 08-16-2007   #19
EmperorChaos

Ooh... Tyne's got you now. She's out for the kill. She's all like listening to the Misfits and askin' her mommy if she can go out and kill tonight.
-=-=-=-
Old 08-22-2007   #20
saintsmythe
Newbie Member

saintsmythe should be rewarded

Quote:
Originally Said by tynie View Post
so your pulling a franken-coultier and getting attention as opposed to stating views legitimately?

i dont want to sound hypocritical, but that aint getting the point accross

I don't think that's entirely accurate. :-/

Sadly, I think Ann Coulter actually *believes* all the things she says. :-/
saintsmythe is offline   Reply With Quote