Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > The Lounge > Debate & Politics

Debate & Politics Fight! Fight! Fight! Keep your arguments clean, and be constructive about getting your point across.

Old 01-08-2007   #41
Pittielynn
sweet, funny and down-right CUTE!

Pittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond repute
Re: f**k does every1 think god is a man...god is nothing but a pathetic excuss for...

Quote:
Originally Said by stonic View Post
Yeah... but that is hardly a commandment, no one should steal. Love thy neighbour, things like that. I dislike them.

I know all the commandments, and have read the bible. Know thy enemy.
Know thy enemy, now thats a word to live by... hey look! Its NOT a commandment! And love thy neighbour? God I've got the stories about that one...Shoud you love your neighbour if you catch him peering into your bedroom window?

"Be strong while it's hard and laugh at it after it's over. You just gotta live." - Spadetje

All along I believed I would find you.
Time has brought your heart to me,
I have loved you for a thousand years.
I'll love you for a thousand more...
...One step closer.
o.O♠O.o

Almost Smart Store
Almost Smart Arcade
Pittielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007   #42
Wheels
Aristodemus of Sparta

Wheels has a reputation beyond reputeWheels has a reputation beyond reputeWheels has a reputation beyond reputeWheels has a reputation beyond reputeWheels has a reputation beyond reputeWheels has a reputation beyond reputeWheels has a reputation beyond reputeWheels has a reputation beyond reputeWheels has a reputation beyond reputeWheels has a reputation beyond reputeWheels has a reputation beyond repute
Re: f**k does every1 think god is a man...god is nothing but a pathetic excuss for...

Damn right you should love him. All night long. And then come online and tell people what his "seed" tasted like.

Whoever cannot take care of themself without that law is both.

For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I Live, I will kill you, If I Die, You are forgiven."

Such is the Rule of Honor.
Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007   #43
Pittielynn

Pittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Damn right you should love him. All night long. And then come online and tell people what his "seed" tasted like.
haha. He's like 47, and was kicked out of the military for sexual harrassment. I think I'll pass.

"Be strong while it's hard and laugh at it after it's over. You just gotta live." - Spadetje

...One step closer.
o.O♠O.o

Almost Smart Store
Almost Smart Arcade
Old 01-08-2007   #44
Xiaden
Newbie Member

Xiaden is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Said by THE-HORNET View Post
i dont care....sorry buddy but i honestly got no respect for anything but myself and the things that have earnt my respect. im just throwing out facts, some people might change from them maybe not i dont f**king no but im not gna wait so that maybe 1 day my country is gona be run buy some f**king spoon in a hat polishing his crusifix
haha, are you American? if you are, you have a big problem.

A.) your sounding like a huge douche, with the stoic i don't care what you say thing. if you didn't care, why are you posting? because you what someone to agree with you.

B.) would that spoon in a hat polishing his crucifix be bush???

C.) mexico is invading. watch the news sometime, provide information about the 13 actions that happened today alone.

D.) learn to spell.

In case you don't get my point, god- he exists, as a morality if nothing more. and yes, i would like someone to agree with me.
Xiaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007   #45
schism-
King Cunty

schism- has a reputation beyond reputeschism- has a reputation beyond reputeschism- has a reputation beyond reputeschism- has a reputation beyond reputeschism- has a reputation beyond reputeschism- has a reputation beyond reputeschism- has a reputation beyond reputeschism- has a reputation beyond reputeschism- has a reputation beyond reputeschism- has a reputation beyond reputeschism- has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to schism-

Quote:
Originally Said by pittielynn View Post
I do not have the downs. And Im sticking with my side. You guys are just close-minded jerks.
And you're so open minded your brains leaked out.

I have the Downs.
schism- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007   #46
Pittielynn

Quote:
Originally Said by schism- View Post
And you're so open minded your brains leaked out.
Oh well. Your mind leaked out from your dick a long time ago...

...sorry if you find that one crosses the line, weasel, or any other mods....

...One step closer.
o.O♠O.o

Almost Smart Store
Almost Smart Arcade
Old 01-08-2007   #47
Wheels
Aristodemus of Sparta

Wheels has a reputation beyond reputeWheels has a reputation beyond reputeWheels has a reputation beyond reputeWheels has a reputation beyond reputeWheels has a reputation beyond reputeWheels has a reputation beyond reputeWheels has a reputation beyond reputeWheels has a reputation beyond reputeWheels has a reputation beyond reputeWheels has a reputation beyond reputeWheels has a reputation beyond repute

Thats the smartest thing I've ever heard anyone say about anything.

My god you arse kiss...

For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I Live, I will kill you, If I Die, You are forgiven."

Old 01-08-2007   #48
Pittielynn

I didn't feel like becoming kyle. He was banned like 17 times for saying things like that...

...One step closer.
o.O♠O.o

Almost Smart Store
Almost Smart Arcade
Old 01-08-2007   #49
Wheels
Aristodemus of Sparta

Grow a spine?

Old 01-08-2007   #50
Pittielynn

If I didn't have a spine I wouldn't have fought with you.

...One step closer.
o.O♠O.o

Almost Smart Store
Almost Smart Arcade
Old 01-08-2007   #51
EmperorChaos
Ruin you like this website.

Location: Charleston, South Carolina, United States, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster
EmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to EmperorChaos Send a message via AIM to EmperorChaos Send a message via MSN to EmperorChaos Send a message via Yahoo to EmperorChaos

Quote:
Read the goddamn paper yourself then asshole. It was origionaly wrote, to give scientific proof that the hands of god were the ones that molded the universe. It was unifying science AND religion.
I'd say that Lemaitre's paper was written in an attempt to prove that God was behind the Big Bang. This is biased and thereby unscientific. I'd call his work pseudoscience and skip on to the next person. Hubble. Even though Hubble was pretty much a conniving, arrogant asshole.

Quote:
What the hell do you mean by I give down syndrome a bad name? Thats disgusting that you would mention that. What if people here have family with down syndrom? Besides my 13th chromosone is fine, and has nothing to do with my mentalitly. Are you sure your's isnt causing you to be a jackass?
Quote:
And people with Downs suck.
I have the Downs.

Quote:
Interesting... a guy that says he doens't beleive in religion, preaching a comandment... haha.
No one says you have to go to church, except parents on christmas... And most religions do let you convert...most. It isn't really religion that causes people to treat others differently because of opposing religions either. Thats called hate, and discrimination. Those are things that people are continuing on.
And I know a shit-ton about religion. And I'm an atheist. I probably know more about religion than 87% of the people on this world. I say 87% because I believe that at least 20% of the world's population is nonreligious (despite most other sources saying it's far less), and that I am smarter than 7% of those nonreligious persons. I've read several books on religion. It's an interesting subject, but nothing I adhere to.

Actually, it is religion that causes people to treat others discriminately. You see, atheists are the most hated minority in the United States. Over all the races, et cetera. And that probably holds true for the world to, though correlation does not imply causation.

Check this out:
South Carolina's Constitution, Article 6 Section 2: "Person denying existence of Supreme Being not to hold office. No person who denies the existence of the Supreme Being shall hold any office under this Constitution."

Quote:
I was not preaching a commandment, I was quoting it.
Quote:
lol, same thing! Im surprised mr. anti religion knew a comandment. I don't even thow them...I know thou shalt not steal, and thats it....Who listens to that one??
Preaching and quoting are not the same things. One implies advocation while the other is merely recited for others to hear.

By the way... you might want to learn exactly what it is you believe before you'd attempt to debate them.

Quote:
Originally Said by Xiaden View Post
In case you don't get my point, god- he exists, as a morality if nothing more. and yes, i would like someone to agree with me.
I agree with you then. He has to exist as morality because most humans are too stupid to uphold ethics and values unless they are taught them alongside punishments for disobeying them. ("Believe in me, or burn forever!")

Too stupid I say.
The first thing that came into being, void and without form, a lifeless lump, unfashioned and unframed, the Prima Materia from which all comes, influenced by forms and given structure by matter it becomes all that is, with increase in entropy it is into which all shall fall, endlessly and in all directions, a self-reflexive paradox.
-=-=-=-
"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." -Isaac Asimov
EmperorChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007   #52
cstoll
?!

cstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Oh go away Stonic you're just getting meaner as you loose.

What's wrong with being a Belgian mathematician, and a Catholic preist? Lemaitre was a man who beleived science would prove that god exists.

Lemaitre suggested that the universe had a beginning, and it was expanding. That it has been expanding since "the day without yesterday" or the beginning of time when a huge source of energy caused the universe to come into being. Gee, doesn't genisis describe something along these lines? God the source of all life, the creator, the energy that binds us all.... only with cool wording? Sound farmilliar? Your inadiquate education has twisted the factes of the originaly proposed theory. Making it seem like a scientific theory to you. so sad, all those papers are being waisted because only a small part of the public know the truth, or is willing to beleive it.

Heres a picture for your enjoyment.

Its Georges Lemaitre, and Enstein, standing togeather, linking togeather science, mathematics, and religion into one.
Please, stop reading Dan Brown's entertaining versions of history as history.

Yes, Lemaitre was a man of faith, but he also had some wicked serious scientific credentials. When he was working on his theory, a number of scientists had made observational data that suggested an expanding universe. The "Big Bang" theory as we know it owes more to the work that has been done since its origin. It's a huge fallacious mistake to attribute the worthiness of the theory to its origin. (And even more so to say that because one man of the church proposed a theory that THE church proposed it).

Similarly, evolutionary theory as we know it does not just belong to Darwin.* A number of people try to tarnish evolutionary theory by saying, "Well, Darwin was wrong about X or Y." And that doesn't matter because evolutionary theory has been developed by numerous scientists in every branch of science.

The Big Bang theory has quite a bit of scientific evidence to support it and is much more complicated than you seem to credit it.

As for that picture...what are you implying? Oh, wait, I think I see the Virgin Mary in Einstein's shadow. ...

You don't need Einstein in there to represent math or science because Lemaitre was trained in both and not at The Divinity School of Proving God Through Science.

*Interestingly, another scientist was going to suggest a very similar theory to Darwin's at the same time. The same was happening with the Big Bang and has happened with other scientific theories and inventions, which should show us that scientific theory isn't something that just "pops" into one person's head, but becomes more evident through cultural and historical events and scientific accumulation that help prepare people to make such theories.

"I have a plan so cunning you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel."
--Blackadder
cstoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007   #53
Pittielynn

You must have been trained at the stupidity school of one minded dummies. No one cares that much, and the picture was to show that the guy wasnt just a figment on anyones immagination. But wait i think i see a shodow of asshole behind it...oh no that was just cstoll. oops.

...One step closer.
o.O♠O.o

Almost Smart Store
Almost Smart Arcade
Old 01-13-2007   #54
EmperorChaos

Location: Charleston, South Carolina, United States, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster
EmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to EmperorChaos Send a message via AIM to EmperorChaos Send a message via MSN to EmperorChaos Send a message via Yahoo to EmperorChaos

Woah, settle down there young lady. Cstoll knows what he's talking about. He always does. Unless he disagrees with me. =P
The first thing that came into being, void and without form, a lifeless lump, unfashioned and unframed, the Prima Materia from which all comes, influenced by forms and given structure by matter it becomes all that is, with increase in entropy it is into which all shall fall, endlessly and in all directions, a self-reflexive paradox.
-=-=-=-
"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." -Isaac Asimov
Old 01-13-2007   #55
Pittielynn

haha the inequity of it all!

...One step closer.
o.O♠O.o

Almost Smart Store
Almost Smart Arcade
Old 01-19-2007   #56
argentmoon
harajuku girl

argentmoon has a reputation beyond reputeargentmoon has a reputation beyond reputeargentmoon has a reputation beyond reputeargentmoon has a reputation beyond reputeargentmoon has a reputation beyond reputeargentmoon has a reputation beyond reputeargentmoon has a reputation beyond reputeargentmoon has a reputation beyond reputeargentmoon has a reputation beyond reputeargentmoon has a reputation beyond reputeargentmoon has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to argentmoon

Well, its been a week, so I hope everyone's simmered down...

Everything has its pros and cons. Religion's pros are a unifying agent, a sense of community, a support network. Its cons are causing division within societies, both local and international, a sense of superiority. Religion itself doesn't cause for things such as suicide bombing, pillaging, rape, etc... only a very small percentage of its people do. And just about every religion has had a period of shame due to outstanding individuals. Christianity - the crusades, Spanish Inquisition. Taoism - slaughter of Buddhist believers. State Shintoism - the inquisition of Christians. My mind is blanking on other examples. However, a quote by Dan Brown (as much as I see opposition against him...) sums my point up: Religion is flawed, but only because man is flawed (Angels and Demons). We are so quick to caste blame on something, such as religion, when the fault lies within ourselves. Plus, "We all benefit from a sense of contact with divinity even if it is only imagined."

the spirit in me bows to the spirit in you

argentmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007   #57
casandra
I'm not bad, I'm just drawn that way..

casandra has a reputation beyond reputecasandra has a reputation beyond reputecasandra has a reputation beyond reputecasandra has a reputation beyond reputecasandra has a reputation beyond reputecasandra has a reputation beyond reputecasandra has a reputation beyond reputecasandra has a reputation beyond reputecasandra has a reputation beyond reputecasandra has a reputation beyond reputecasandra has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to casandra

Quote:
Read the goddamn paper yourself then asshole. It was origionaly wrote, to give scientific proof that the hands of god were the ones that molded the universe. It was unifying science AND religion.

What the hell do you mean by I give down syndrome a bad name? Thats disgusting that you would mention that. What if people here have family with down syndrom? Besides my 13th chromosone is fine, and has nothing to do with my mentalitly. Are you sure your's isnt causing you to be a jackass?
i hadn't bothered to read this thread until now, but i just thought it should be clear that it is trisomy 21...a triplet of chromosome number 21. down syndrome has nothing to do with your 13th chromosome. down syndrome kids are the sweetest. that one snuck its way past EC? hahahah oh yeah and ps. god sucks.
casandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007   #58
Zanahoria_Picante
Orange you glad she's not a banana?

Zanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond repute

"You can't rep. cstoll again...blah, blah, blah," says the automated message. Yeah, I'm hearing this ("talking" hand puppet) and I want to hear this (hand puppet with closed, talking-less "mouth").

*Composes self as much as is possible*

So, a big problem with religion is that it is man-based, springing from and directed by the mind of man and driven by the (usually self-seeking) desires of man. Or, religion has taken the truth and changed it somehow. Faith, which is simply trusting and believing in what God has said in the Bible and taking him at his word, is a different animal entirely. Anyone who has read the Bible knows that its message is not a message of, "hey guys, let's go out and cause mayhem and dissention among everyone! It'll be great!" But instead, its message is one of peacefully and lovingly bringing people to a knowledge of their own besmirched existence, and Christ's way of un-besmirching that existence (to put it in most convoluted, weird way I could think of). Unity is possible in Christ.

I don't know if people sometimes overlook the distinction between religion and faith, or even if they think making such a distinction even matters. I think the distinction matters because it decides how a person will conduct himself and what affect he will have on others in the world (not that religion's effects are always negative, but...).

..| |
.| | |
_____
\ love /-|
-\__/--|

"When I first read the dictionary, I thought it was a long poem about everything."
Steven Wright

;
Zanahoria_Picante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007   #59
EmperorChaos

Quote:
Originally Said by argentmoon View Post
Well, its been a week, so I hope everyone's simmered down...
Yay! Argentmoon is back!

Quote:
Originally Said by casandra View Post
that one snuck its way past EC? hahahah oh yeah and ps. god sucks.
Congratulations Cassie. I didn't know that Down Syndrome was a replication of the 21st chromosome. I never said I knew everything.

Just most of it. =P

Quote:
Originally Said by Zanahoria_Picante View Post
So, a big problem with religion is that it is man-based, springing from and directed by the mind of man and driven by the (usually self-seeking) desires of man. Or, religion has taken the truth and changed it somehow. Faith, which is simply trusting and believing in what God has said in the Bible and taking him at his word, is a different animal entirely. Anyone who has read the Bible knows that its message is not a message of, "hey guys, let's go out and cause mayhem and dissention among everyone! It'll be great!" But instead, its message is one of peacefully and lovingly bringing people to a knowledge of their own besmirched existence, and Christ's way of un-besmirching that existence (to put it in most convoluted, weird way I could think of). Unity is possible in Christ.

I don't know if people sometimes overlook the distinction between religion and faith, or even if they think making such a distinction even matters. I think the distinction matters because it decides how a person will conduct himself and what affect he will have on others in the world (not that religion's effects are always negative, but...).
What of the distinction between religion and history? Take for example, the millenium that followed the Fall of Rome. Christianity was spread throughout Europe during this period through warfare. One hundred years later and entire nations of people with "heretical" or "pagan" beliefs were being wiped out in both Europe and the Americas. No, this is not how the Bible states one should act. But still, the religion spread via a method of Convert or be Killed. Among other things, this fact negates it as truth. Even if it was man who caused this, God must have allowed it to happen. If he didn't want his own named besmirched,then I imagine he would have done something.
-=-=-=-
Old 01-20-2007   #60
argentmoon
harajuku girl

argentmoon has a reputation beyond reputeargentmoon has a reputation beyond reputeargentmoon has a reputation beyond reputeargentmoon has a reputation beyond reputeargentmoon has a reputation beyond reputeargentmoon has a reputation beyond reputeargentmoon has a reputation beyond reputeargentmoon has a reputation beyond reputeargentmoon has a reputation beyond reputeargentmoon has a reputation beyond reputeargentmoon has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to argentmoon

Quote:
Originally Said by EmperorChaos View Post
Yay! Argentmoon is back!
hehe, thankie. :D

religion did spread violently in christendom. but you must remember it was because of the spread of the islamic world, threatening and encrouching upon christian lands as well as claiming jerusalem as their own holy city. also, barely anyone was literate at this time, and relied upon their local priests for God's word. these people could easily turn their citizens against others by proclaiming it was God's word, their duty, to crush the "infidels." there were also the bonuses of fighting in the crusades, such as dying a martyr, acclimation of land, etc. these are what made the first two crusades the most sucessful. but then people started dying, they were left with only teenagers to fight, and people lost faith in the church. pride before the fall, as the saying goes, which could have also been God's indirect way of giving punishment. who knows?

as for allowing such things to happen, the church teaches that humans were given free will, so that we can learn from our mistakes and become stronger people. my parents allowed me to play soccer in junior high. i'd never been allowed to join anything before. while playing soccer, i got hurt. yet they still allowed me to play, because they knew i would learn how to cope with an injury in order to keep doing what i enjoyed. if my parents coddled me, i'd have rebelled from all of the smothering. and so i learned on my own, as do we all.

the spirit in me bows to the spirit in you

argentmoon is offline   Reply With Quote