View Single Post
Old 01-18-2011   #23
Zanahoria_Picante
Orange you glad she's not a banana?

Zanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Logophiles Unite!

So, I got sucked into dictionary.com when looking up the word "flummox," and scored a series of strange, made-up words that I will share:

(Here are the best of them:)

flumadiddle
-noun
1. utter nonsense.
2. worthless frills.

gimcrack
noun
a showy, useless trifle; gewgaw.

redivivus
adjective
living again; revived

(Not as strange and made-up) obfuscate
verb (used with object)
1. to confuse, bewilder, or stupefy.
2. to make obscure or unclear: to obfuscate a problem with extraneous information.
3. to darken.

From an article about an incredible photorealist artist (note the common medium and surface, charcoal on paper--amazing):

inveterate
adjective
settled or confirmed in a habit, practice, feeling, or the like: an inveterate gambler.

From various poets, and the like:

insular
adjective
1. of or pertaining to an island or islands: insular possessions.
2. detached; standing alone; isolated.
3. narrow-minded or illiberal; provincial.
4. Pathology, occurring in or characterized by one or more isolated spots, patches, or the like.

loam
noun
1. a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
2. a mixture of clay, sand, straw, etc., used in making molds for founding and in plastering walls, stopping holes, etc.
3. earth or soil.

demur
verb
1. to make objection, esp. on the grounds of scruples; take exception; object.

fusty
-adjective
1. having a stale smell; moldy; musty: fusty rooms that were in need of a good airing.
2. old-fashioned or out-of-date, as architecture, furnishings, or the like: They still live in that fusty, gingerbread house.
3. stubbornly conservative or old-fashioned; fogyish

Not very useful, but nice:

synecdoche
noun
a figure of speech in which a part is used for the whole or the whole for a part, the special for the general or the general for the special, as in ten sail for ten ships or a Croesus for a rich man.

Yes, that's all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg article.jpg (138.5 KB, 6 views)

..| |
.| | |
_____
\ love /-|
-\__/--|

"When I first read the dictionary, I thought it was a long poem about everything."
Steven Wright

;