Thread: WTF World
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2014   #14
Nami
Tome Traveler

Nami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond repute
Re: WTF World

Quote:
Originally Said by Zanahoria_Picante View Post
Do you think every person has the capacity to do that kind of evil, the most heinous expressions of evil known to man? Every person?

[...]

Really, what I wonder most about is this question of each person's capacity to do evil.
Stanley Milgram wondered these things as well. So he conducted an experiment. His results are summarized by this video:

http://youtu.be/4b7YFtiE5EA

Quote:
Originally Said by Zanahoria_Picante View Post
Still another angle is the motivation behind evil. Weren't some of the worst things humanity has done throughout history motivated by the pursuit of material gain or political power?

All this said, it seems wrong to overlook the remarkable good and beautiful feats of humanity, in terms of art and music and literature and science and architecture and philosophy, feats which might be morally neutral (if that makes sense), but nonetheless represent, to me, a very good reason humanity is worthwhile. The humanitarian efforts, big and small, throughout history and in present day, of individuals and groups also seems to win humanity a point or two. There's also the idea that, while living, we should do all we can as individuals to do good, to, even in the smallest ways, remedy the evil in the world.
This can elicit quite the conversation in itself. I do agree that it is essential for us to do good on an individual level. It's like the starfish story... We may not have a single human that can solve all of humanity's problems in one fell swoop, but we can start by making a difference in our own sphere of influence.

Last edited by Nami; 06-23-2014 at 01:07 AM.
Nami is offline   Reply With Quote