View Single Post
Old 10-11-2012   #9
foxyphoenix
Ubi dubium, ibi libertas.

foxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Stem Cell Discovery will allow Gay Men to create their own eggs for surrogate bir

Not only do these little mice survive: they can reproduce on their own! How cool is that? I wonder if they can reverse-engineer sperm cells in the same way...

Ahem, anyway.

I'm surprised the focus is on gay men (who still lack a womb for any fertilized egg), and not on women who have lost their ovaries (PCOS?) and want children, or women who are over 35 (and are more likely to have damaged/non-viable eggs) but want children. I feel that this is very similar to IVF in that it provides an opportunity to those who want it. The objections about ethics remain the same, though, in that multiple embryos will be created and not all used and the traditional Catholic argument about separating sex and reproduction.

Personally? I'd use this technology to bring back the Northern White Rhinos, whose few remaining females are no longer of reproductive age but whose close cousins the White Rhinos are plentiful and could carry embryos.

As far as feminist concerns go: women have more value in society than just their eggs. Artificial eggs cannot replace women.

"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
-
Carl Sagan

"It is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."
-
Charles Darwin

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, man would die from a great loneliness of the spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected."
-
Chief Seattle

Almost Smart Store

foxyphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote