View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012   #4
Nami
Tome Traveler

Nami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Stem Cell Discovery will allow Gay Men to create their own eggs for surrogate bir

Quote:
Originally Said by Pittielynn View Post
"Concerning" most certainly is an uderstatement. When I read this my mind jumped to the image of a world in which women exist solely for sexual pleasure and the population of said world is left to a laboratory with endless corridors filled with artificial wombs to grow fetuses in them. Once the baby is mature, a scientist simply cuts open the womb and voila! One freshly unrapped baby.

Extreme, I know, but lets face it; that vision is also entirely possible. With the ability to make eggs and grow them without women, this patriarchal world would only need to keep women around for sexual pleasure and for nursing the scientifically enginered babies. And even then, there's always formula...
I sincerely doubt implementing this new find will lead to this scenario. Straight MF relationships are still the majority. Straight men love sex too much to ever let this happen. This may also be said of straight women. Some women rely on their baby-making abilities to survive. (That's a whole different can of worms I care not to open.)

I do, however, agree with the logic that our Dr. Malcolm from Jurassic Park has used. There is not enough information to implement this commercially. This actually isn't entirely new. We already use a similar process in this present age (in vitro fertilization is where "test tube babies" come from). However, there are some unresolved issues even from that:
http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...ction-genetics

Still, in this day and age public outcry may not be enough to stop this from happening.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexpe.../films/babies/
Nami is offline   Reply With Quote