Almost Smart

Almost Smart (http://www.almostsmart.com/forums/index.php)
-   Site Issues & Suggestions (http://www.almostsmart.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Negative Reputation (http://www.almostsmart.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21875)

EmperorChaos 02-24-2009 01:23 AM

Negative Reputation

It has come to my attention that negative repping has gotten out of hand.

I understand the rules on the use of negative rep are vague.

The only valid reasons I can currently think of for negative rep include, but are not limited to:

* For any post that contains obvious flames or direct insults towards another user.
* For spamming the forums (most of the time, it's the bots that do it, of course).
* For posts that contain obvious racism against any specific user (discussing race is acceptable, for instance, and I don't mind the occasional joke so long as it is in the correct sub-forum, but to specifically call out any user based on race or to insult an entire race in a serious discussion is negative rep-worthy).
* For posts threatening other users.
* For posts containing hate messages against any user.
* Though we don't see it much around here, for multi-posting (within one day) or flooding the forums.
* For trolling, flamebaiting, or ad hominem attacks.
* For posts that are blatantly advertising another board.
* For posts that contain harassment towards another user.

As you may have noticed, most negative-rep worthy posts are ones that are breaking this forum rule:

No posts that contain racism, threats, victimization, hate messages, flooding, flaming, spamming, trolling, blatant advertising, or harassment.

While reporting the offending posts to the moderators is better than giving negative rep, consider the use of negative rep a way for non-moderators to moderate the forum themselves. Just do not abuse this is all I ask.

-=-=-=-

You should not give someone negative reputation because you simply disagree with what they've saying. Do not try to use one of the reasons listed above to give negative rep when it is obvious you are only in disagreement with them.

You should also NEVER EVER give negative reputation to someone simply because they gave it to you. If you received negative rep for giving someone a legitimate negative rep, tell a moderator who you gave it to and, if you can remember, when. Also, tell the moderator what post you were negative repped for as well as what post you negative repped the user in (if you remember) and any other pertinent information you care to share. I think receiving negative rep in return for giving a valid negative rep is a very shameful way to act (so long as the returned negative rep is not also valid!) and will likely result in a warning or a short ban from the site (after the moderator who was informed confers with the other mods, of course).

Remember:
* Give out positive rep often enough as well.
* Really consider the post you're thinking of negative repping is truly deserving of a negative rep.
* Do not simply go looking for posts to negative rep (such as older posts from before this thread was made) as it will just provoke more misuse.
* Tell a moderator (especially me as I've received more than my share of unfair negative reps) of negative rep abuse (DO NOT POST IN-THREAD) and give us as much information as possible.

-=-=-

The best way to use negative rep is to scarcely use it at all (as I tend to do).

David- 02-24-2009 06:26 AM

Re: Negative Reputation

It's just a little bar under your name.

EmperorChaos 02-24-2009 09:30 AM

^Thanks David, I know what it is. I can also understand how it can be annoying to get it for no reason. I used to get tons of negative rep from a bunch of members for no reason other than I was a "noob".

hai Jay 02-24-2009 10:59 AM

i thought there were bigger issues atm. lol. i must have missed the boat on all this rep drama. i rarely neg rep anyone and rep people constantly.

EmperorChaos 02-24-2009 11:01 AM

^Like what?

If you don't agree with this, then simply don't post or use the negative rep feature at all. Other moderators have agreed to this.

hai Jay 02-24-2009 11:40 AM

I didn't say I didn't agree with it. I'm just saying I didn't realize it was a problem. Don't read too much into what I'm saying. I'm not questioning any mod decisions whatsoever. I've been neg repped the same way you're talking about. I guess this is spawned from all the drama. That's all.

I hate though when I am going to negative rep someone then give them positive rep by accident. Because you can't just go negative rep them for something else, and you get laughed at. -fun-

SketchImpressions 02-24-2009 12:17 PM

i have been neg reped inapropriatly, everyone has at least once.

i think the feature could be good. but it gets thrown around alot.

hai Jay 02-24-2009 12:21 PM

i'm not sure how much of a deterrent negative rep is, and how that lets us really take things into our own hands.

i've had a sudden increase in rep lately.

GoddessDivine 02-24-2009 01:21 PM

I have negative repped with somewhat of a reply but it always seems to be taken from their private rep and pasted to the thread, so really it has done me no good to negative rep someone because it just ends up being brought to the thread to create more drama. I positive rep more than i negative rep, though. I think if you counted how many times a person positive reps versus how many time they neg rep it would be an overwhelming win for positive rep...

EmperorChaos 02-24-2009 03:12 PM

A good rule of thumb is just don't negative rep at all.

hai Jay 02-24-2009 03:13 PM

is that the new rule?

EmperorChaos 02-24-2009 03:15 PM

No, not a rule, just a rule of thumb.

As long as someone wishing to negative rep another follows the guidelines in the first post, they'll be all right.

Jenn and tonic 02-24-2009 03:17 PM

I think that was always the rule...

Well, then again it's not technically in the rules that you can't negative rep someone that has negative repped you. I don't see why that's an issue. To me, if you don't want to be negative repped, don't negative rep other people. A variation on the 'do unto others' rule.

psychoDiablo 02-24-2009 05:12 PM

I have something to say about this.

my.dragons.lady 02-24-2009 05:53 PM

Sure is brown in here.

GoddessDivine 02-24-2009 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Said by Durin's Bane (Post 332991)
A good rule of thumb is just don't negative rep at all.

Rule of thumb...can't do much damage with that then can we? Perhaps it should have been a rule of wrist

Quote:

Originally Said by psychoDiablo (Post 333001)
I have something to say about this.

Well then what is it?

EmperorChaos 02-24-2009 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Said by my.dragons.lady (Post 333006)
Sure is brown in here.

I don't get it... did you change your background color or something?

David- 02-24-2009 09:18 PM

Might aswell remove negative rep if this is the case, it only causes drama because people know that if they get negative rep they can go to a mod and get that person warned or banned. If a war (lol) breaks out between people spamming neg rep on every post then so what? Does it really matter?

psychoDiablo 02-24-2009 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Said by David- (Post 333029)
Might aswell remove negative rep if this is the case, it only causes drama because people know that if they get negative rep they can go to a mod and get that person warned or banned. If a war (lol) breaks out between people spamming neg rep on every post then so what? Does it really matter?

The only person who gets mad is the only person who ever brings it up. guess who that is?

i suggest we do away with it. but then i'd lose my 69!

and the bastard deleted my post, im about to give someone some neg rep

GoddessDivine 02-24-2009 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Said by Durin's Bane (Post 333023)
I don't get it... did you change your background color or something?

Did everything just taste purple for a second?
http://i405.photobucket.com/albums/p...uint-thumb.jpg