Almost Smart

Almost Smart (http://www.almostsmart.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Blog (http://www.almostsmart.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Two Years Ago... (http://www.almostsmart.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23062)

EmperorChaos 10-31-2009 01:42 AM

Two Years Ago...

I had a job.

Now I have another one. Yes, that's right. After not working for two years and only making the occasional money by selling things or doing computer repair work for friends and family, I've got a job as a PC technician/salesperson at Office Depot.

I start Monday morning at 8am.

My last jobs sucked and weren't things I enjoyed doing. Working with technology is something I've always enjoyed and I am glad to be doing that again.

I'm not thrilled with the sexist dress code that requires that my hair be cut to shoulder length because I do not want shoulder length hair. I want long hair. Women can wear their hair long. Why can I not? So I'll likely just cut most of my hair off and go back to having short hair. I am also not thrilled that I have to wear black pants. I have nothing against black pants. I just have loads of khaki pants. Now I am required to purchase black pants. Fuck a dress code.

Anyway... this is a good thing for in a few months I'll be eligible for benefits.

Zanahoria_Picante 10-31-2009 02:30 AM

Re: Two Years Ago...

Congratulations! :D

So, they finally finished your drug test? o_O

Also, yeah, I hate dress codes. They won't let me fully dress like the Joker this year - with the suit and such - without wearing the normal uniform under it! Do you realize how hot it gets in the deli with just the suit (or uniform) alone?! It would be like working in a sweatshop more than usual!

*Ahem* Anyway...
slight exaggeration/insanity/tangents aside...

That is awesome. I hope that goes well for you, Chaos. ;)

EmperorChaos 10-31-2009 02:36 AM

Thank you Zana.

Actually, I was waiting more recently on the results of my background check. Remember, I applied for and was interviewed for this job five weeks ago. After two drug tests and one background check, I have the results.

The first drug test's results were apparently sent to the manager of another Office Depot which is why I had to take the second drug test.

Zanahoria_Picante 10-31-2009 02:50 AM

Wow! Efficient! :bored:

But good that you finally got the job. Quite good indeed. Do you feel like you're prepared?

EmperorChaos 10-31-2009 03:04 AM

Well, I think I'll do fine. I mean, I'm gonna be mostly repair computers and/or selling them. And I'm quite good at both. I'll also have to know other aspects of the store, other office supplies, but I already know a good deal about them from Circuit City. There are also camcorders and digital cameras, computer monitors, computer peripherals, computer accessories, printers, printing accessories, etc. I've got experience with all of that at Circuit City.

I also make commission based on my sales so I expect to make a lot of money by selling people extras and "peace of mind" in the form of extended warranties.

I'll admit that I am a little nervous about starting a job again after not working so long but one benefit I have to my advantage is that, since I have been going into the store often in an attempt to get the job, I've become familiar with many of the employees.

GoddessDivine 10-31-2009 03:35 AM

you have to wear black pants but what about the type of shirt? Also do not yell at anyone. Easing back into the workforce can be traumatic, I hope to never do it.

EmperorChaos 10-31-2009 03:39 AM

They provide the shirt. Button-up white Office Depot shirts.

Also, when have I ever yelled at someone?

Pittielynn 10-31-2009 07:33 AM

Since when did Office Depot require a drug test be done? Thats kind of ridiculous...

blackheart 10-31-2009 10:33 AM

Congrats, hope it all goes well. At least it's something you enjoy doing, theres nothing worse than dreading getting up in the morning.

I hate the whole thing about guys cutting their hair thing as well, unless of course it's around food. But I don't see the difference & honestly think most people these days think it's acceptable for guys to have long hair.

foxyphoenix 10-31-2009 11:30 AM

Congratulations.

Rachael! They won't let you dress up as the Joker!?!? That's so sad... you looked friggin' awesome last year.

(On a side note, in my morning-zombie state I managed to dress up as a cowgirl for work this morning. No one has noticed. Sigh... you know you're already considered a hick when...)

GoddessDivine 10-31-2009 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Said by EmperorChaos (Post 354746)
They provide the shirt. Button-up white Office Depot shirts.

Also, when have I ever yelled at someone?

not long ago when you yelled in a bar to anyone who was within ear shot "Do you see what happens, Larry, WHEN YOU FUCK A STRANGER IN THE ASS?"

EmperorChaos 10-31-2009 04:43 PM

^Oh yeah.

Hahaha, I watched The Big Lebowski AGAIN this morning.

Zanahoria_Picante 11-01-2009 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Said by foxyphoenix (Post 354752)
Rachael! They won't let you dress up as the Joker!?!? That's so sad... you looked friggin' awesome last year.

Thanks! :D Welll...I could still wear the make-up, which I did, but I just didn't wear the suit, because of, yeah, the whole "having to wear 3 (no, 4!, actually 5!) layers of clothes in a hot kitchen (basically)" thing. But yes, the irony of wearing the make-up with my regular Walmart garb was almost more amusing. >:)

I will post some photos here on AS, methinks.

Quote:

(On a side note, in my morning-zombie state I managed to dress up as a cowgirl for work this morning. No one has noticed. Sigh... you know you're already considered a hick when...)
Haha. :D

oceandream130 11-01-2009 06:42 PM

Congrats, chico (erm...hombre?)!

Dress codes can be so confining sometimes; that is quite absurd about the hair length and about ZP's inability to wear her suit (why on earth would they demand you wear your uniform under your suit...am I missing something here? 0_0). Good luck! :smile:

Zana, I saw your Joker pictures on facebook - you looked fantastic! :biggrin:

EmperorChaos 11-01-2009 10:47 PM

Now I have to be at work in eight hours and fifteen minutes.

I still have to shave tomorrow morning when I wake up but I haven't cut my hair yet.

It's not like they can do anything about that though. When I was first told of the dress code, I asked to see it in writing. I then read the entire three pages concerning their dress code and I also noted that I had two weeks to comply with the dress code after signing the form stating I've read it.

So I'll get my hair cut, eventually, probably even tomorrow. I am still not pleased about it as I love having long hair.

Zanahoria_Picante 11-02-2009 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Said by oceandream130 (Post 354800)
Congrats, chico (erm...hombre?)!

Dress codes can be so confining sometimes; that is quite absurd about the hair length and about ZP's inability to wear her suit (why on earth would they demand you wear your uniform under your suit...am I missing something here? 0_0). Good luck! :smile:

Zana, I saw your Joker pictures on facebook - you looked fantastic! :biggrin:

Heh, well, I guess it was *probably* because some people - some of the guys, mainly - insisted on dressing up as cheerleaders and Dorothy Gail and other such "revealing" costumes. The management then made it a rule that everyone had to wear uniforms under their costumes. Quite pedantic!

And thank you. :D It was just as enjoyable as the first time.

Jason, I hope everything goes well for you tomorrow. No doubt it will. :)

blackheart 11-02-2009 02:31 AM

Good Luck. I guess if you have 2 weeks, you might aswel leave it as long as you can..maybe by then they won't even notice haha.

EmperorChaos 11-02-2009 03:05 AM

Yeah, maybe...

But you know, the thing is... the hair on guy's must be "shoulder-length". What exactly does "shoulder-length" mean? If it means hair can be draped about the shoulders, then mine is shoulder length.

Let's see... *pulls hair down* It doesn't reach my clavicle. And the clavicle can be said to be the end of the shoulders, below that would be the chest.

Also, not fair! I barely have a neck! Shoulder-length for me isn't shoulder-length for normal people... the ones with necks. I am no giraffe, you see.

Anyway, I can't sleep anymore. I figure I've done all the sleeping I can do. Work in four hours. I'll be fine.

CrunchBite 11-02-2009 07:28 PM

The hair thing really sucks. I now get mine cut before doing any interviews, one too many gave me an odd look and my hair is rarely down to shoulder length. It really sucks to get it cut now, your head will feel cold for the rest of the winter.

EmperorChaos 11-02-2009 10:38 PM

I'll manage. I also trimmed my beard tremendously. It's all the same length now, rather than getting progressively longer as it went down my chin.