Almost Smart

Almost Smart (http://www.almostsmart.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.almostsmart.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What's your Field of Study? (http://www.almostsmart.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25119)

Thoughtcrime 04-30-2012 10:28 PM

What's your Field of Study?

So, a couple of our members just accomplished some pretty cool academic goals, and it got me thinking - I don't know what most of you guys go to school for (or if I knew at one point, I've forgotten).

A lot of you might be done with school by now. If so, what did you get your degree in? What did you want to do with your degree, career wise? And are you in that career you had in mind?

I'm sophomore status in community college, major is biochemistry and molecular biology. I really want to go to Reed College in Portland, OR. That's my dream.

This is Mudpuppet, by the way. I forgot I changed my username.

hai Jay 05-01-2012 11:19 AM

Re: What's your Field of Study?

I graduate Saturday with my B.A. in psychology with a minor in sociology. Not sure what I want to do. My stepdad's company is about to explode into more success than we could ever dream of...maybe I'll get a position in HR there.

So human resources or mental health is somewhere I'll probably end up to begin with.

foxyphoenix 05-01-2012 07:25 PM

I have a B.A. in Biology with a thesis on the locomotion of Sceloporus occidentalis (western fence lizards), but am currently working in the field of veterinary medicine before applying to veterinary school.

Sprinting on sand (video is 1/10th actual speed). Woosh!
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...x/10xspeed.gif

Jenn and tonic 05-01-2012 07:35 PM

^ Not gonna lie when you posted it previously I was mesmerized. Still am!
/OT moment

foxyphoenix 05-02-2012 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Said by Jenn and tonic (Post 375649)
^ Not gonna lie when you posted it previously I was mesmerized. Still am!
/OT moment

That was my basic strategy for my thesis presentation to the department. :biggrin:

Blackass 05-06-2012 10:34 AM

I'm in law school now. Big surprise. Always wanted to do astronomy, but hey laws are important too, right?

EmperorChaos 05-11-2012 04:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Said by Blackass (Post 375732)
I'm in law school now. Big surprise. Always wanted to do astronomy, but hey laws are important too, right?

Yeah, the LAWS OF PHYSICS.

EmperorChaos 05-11-2012 04:39 AM

Oh yeah.
I'm still a college dropout and still an autodidact. I mostly teach myself astronomy but lately I've been considering learning some new languages. I think Mandarin would be useful.

hai Jay 05-11-2012 09:09 AM

useful in your multicultural job? jk.

i graduated, and still need to be looking for a job. they said it could be June 30th before we get our diplomas.

Pittielynn 05-11-2012 11:19 AM

How on earth would Mandarin be usefull.. unless you plan to move to China in the near future. And if you do, I also reccomend learning Cantonese depending on where you are moving...

Blackass 05-11-2012 12:16 PM

Mandarin is like twice as prevalent as Cantonese. And being proficient in either is like...almost a guaranteed job with certain government agencies, at least here in the US. Also probably a lot of businesses. But let's be frank: EC's going to do it just to say he did it :P

EmperorChaos 05-14-2012 12:50 AM

I just want to be able to order take out in the native tongue as I sometimes do in Mexican restaurants (but obviously not Taco Bell).

EmperorChaos 05-14-2012 12:52 AM

Though, thinking about it now, I believe Chinese food (as we Westerners think of it) is most often Cantonese.

I guess I shall have to learn both. :(
Rosetta Stone where are you?!

Nami 05-19-2012 01:42 AM

I'm still working on my degree. I have an associates in Deaf Studies... Originally I wanted to be an interpreter, but I don't have the temperament for it. Now I'm working at a cool job anyway. I'm taking online classes for a business degree. Once I am finally finished with college I will focus on business.

My username was formerly Tsunami.

EmperorChaos 05-19-2012 03:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Said by Nami (Post 376011)
My username was formerly Tsunami.

We know who you are. Duh.

Nami 05-19-2012 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Said by EmperorChaos (Post 376012)
We know who you are. Duh.

LOL, I know YOU do Mr. Iasov. I was following the same lead as Thoughtcrime from his original post. He told us he's Mudpuppet.

How's life been treating you?

ablethevoice 05-19-2012 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Said by EmperorChaos (Post 375876)
I just want to be able to order take out in the native tongue as I sometimes do in Mexican restaurants (but obviously not Taco Bell).

Like the very final scene in LIMITLESS. (I STILL want those pills!)

EmperorChaos 05-20-2012 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Said by Nami (Post 376016)
How's life been treating you?

Life has been better. I'll probably getting around to telling you fine folks soon but now is not the time.

Quote:

Originally Said by ablethevoice (Post 376018)
Like the very final scene in LIMITLESS. (I STILL want those pills!)

Whoa-ho! Spoiler alert! I haven't seen that movie. I want to though. Nootropics FTW!

ablethevoice 05-20-2012 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Said by EmperorChaos (Post 376024)
Life has been better. I'll probably getting around to telling you fine folks soon but now is not the time.

Whoa-ho! Spoiler alert! I haven't seen that movie. I want to though. Nootropics FTW!

Well fuck me running backwards! I told you about that movie almost a year ago! You STILL haven't seen it??

EmperorChaos 05-20-2012 07:31 PM

I downloaded it. I'll probably watch it sometime this week.