Almost Smart

Almost Smart (http://www.almostsmart.com/forums/index.php)
-   Site Issues & Suggestions (http://www.almostsmart.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Negative Reputation (http://www.almostsmart.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21875)

EmperorChaos 02-24-2009 12:23 AM

Negative Reputation

It has come to my attention that negative repping has gotten out of hand.

I understand the rules on the use of negative rep are vague.

The only valid reasons I can currently think of for negative rep include, but are not limited to:

* For any post that contains obvious flames or direct insults towards another user.
* For spamming the forums (most of the time, it's the bots that do it, of course).
* For posts that contain obvious racism against any specific user (discussing race is acceptable, for instance, and I don't mind the occasional joke so long as it is in the correct sub-forum, but to specifically call out any user based on race or to insult an entire race in a serious discussion is negative rep-worthy).
* For posts threatening other users.
* For posts containing hate messages against any user.
* Though we don't see it much around here, for multi-posting (within one day) or flooding the forums.
* For trolling, flamebaiting, or ad hominem attacks.
* For posts that are blatantly advertising another board.
* For posts that contain harassment towards another user.

As you may have noticed, most negative-rep worthy posts are ones that are breaking this forum rule:

No posts that contain racism, threats, victimization, hate messages, flooding, flaming, spamming, trolling, blatant advertising, or harassment.

While reporting the offending posts to the moderators is better than giving negative rep, consider the use of negative rep a way for non-moderators to moderate the forum themselves. Just do not abuse this is all I ask.

-=-=-=-

You should not give someone negative reputation because you simply disagree with what they've saying. Do not try to use one of the reasons listed above to give negative rep when it is obvious you are only in disagreement with them.

You should also NEVER EVER give negative reputation to someone simply because they gave it to you. If you received negative rep for giving someone a legitimate negative rep, tell a moderator who you gave it to and, if you can remember, when. Also, tell the moderator what post you were negative repped for as well as what post you negative repped the user in (if you remember) and any other pertinent information you care to share. I think receiving negative rep in return for giving a valid negative rep is a very shameful way to act (so long as the returned negative rep is not also valid!) and will likely result in a warning or a short ban from the site (after the moderator who was informed confers with the other mods, of course).

Remember:
* Give out positive rep often enough as well.
* Really consider the post you're thinking of negative repping is truly deserving of a negative rep.
* Do not simply go looking for posts to negative rep (such as older posts from before this thread was made) as it will just provoke more misuse.
* Tell a moderator (especially me as I've received more than my share of unfair negative reps) of negative rep abuse (DO NOT POST IN-THREAD) and give us as much information as possible.

-=-=-

The best way to use negative rep is to scarcely use it at all (as I tend to do).

David- 02-24-2009 05:26 AM

Re: Negative Reputation

It's just a little bar under your name.

EmperorChaos 02-24-2009 08:30 AM

^Thanks David, I know what it is. I can also understand how it can be annoying to get it for no reason. I used to get tons of negative rep from a bunch of members for no reason other than I was a "noob".

hai Jay 02-24-2009 09:59 AM

i thought there were bigger issues atm. lol. i must have missed the boat on all this rep drama. i rarely neg rep anyone and rep people constantly.

EmperorChaos 02-24-2009 10:01 AM

^Like what?

If you don't agree with this, then simply don't post or use the negative rep feature at all. Other moderators have agreed to this.

hai Jay 02-24-2009 10:40 AM

I didn't say I didn't agree with it. I'm just saying I didn't realize it was a problem. Don't read too much into what I'm saying. I'm not questioning any mod decisions whatsoever. I've been neg repped the same way you're talking about. I guess this is spawned from all the drama. That's all.

I hate though when I am going to negative rep someone then give them positive rep by accident. Because you can't just go negative rep them for something else, and you get laughed at. -fun-

SketchImpressions 02-24-2009 11:17 AM

i have been neg reped inapropriatly, everyone has at least once.

i think the feature could be good. but it gets thrown around alot.

hai Jay 02-24-2009 11:21 AM

i'm not sure how much of a deterrent negative rep is, and how that lets us really take things into our own hands.

i've had a sudden increase in rep lately.

GoddessDivine 02-24-2009 12:21 PM

I have negative repped with somewhat of a reply but it always seems to be taken from their private rep and pasted to the thread, so really it has done me no good to negative rep someone because it just ends up being brought to the thread to create more drama. I positive rep more than i negative rep, though. I think if you counted how many times a person positive reps versus how many time they neg rep it would be an overwhelming win for positive rep...

EmperorChaos 02-24-2009 02:12 PM

A good rule of thumb is just don't negative rep at all.

hai Jay 02-24-2009 02:13 PM

is that the new rule?

EmperorChaos 02-24-2009 02:15 PM

No, not a rule, just a rule of thumb.

As long as someone wishing to negative rep another follows the guidelines in the first post, they'll be all right.

Jenn and tonic 02-24-2009 02:17 PM

I think that was always the rule...

Well, then again it's not technically in the rules that you can't negative rep someone that has negative repped you. I don't see why that's an issue. To me, if you don't want to be negative repped, don't negative rep other people. A variation on the 'do unto others' rule.

psychoDiablo 02-24-2009 04:12 PM

I have something to say about this.

my.dragons.lady 02-24-2009 04:53 PM

Sure is brown in here.

GoddessDivine 02-24-2009 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Said by Durin's Bane (Post 332991)
A good rule of thumb is just don't negative rep at all.

Rule of thumb...can't do much damage with that then can we? Perhaps it should have been a rule of wrist

Quote:

Originally Said by psychoDiablo (Post 333001)
I have something to say about this.

Well then what is it?

EmperorChaos 02-24-2009 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Said by my.dragons.lady (Post 333006)
Sure is brown in here.

I don't get it... did you change your background color or something?

David- 02-24-2009 08:18 PM

Might aswell remove negative rep if this is the case, it only causes drama because people know that if they get negative rep they can go to a mod and get that person warned or banned. If a war (lol) breaks out between people spamming neg rep on every post then so what? Does it really matter?

psychoDiablo 02-24-2009 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Said by David- (Post 333029)
Might aswell remove negative rep if this is the case, it only causes drama because people know that if they get negative rep they can go to a mod and get that person warned or banned. If a war (lol) breaks out between people spamming neg rep on every post then so what? Does it really matter?

The only person who gets mad is the only person who ever brings it up. guess who that is?

i suggest we do away with it. but then i'd lose my 69!

and the bastard deleted my post, im about to give someone some neg rep

GoddessDivine 02-24-2009 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Said by Durin's Bane (Post 333023)
I don't get it... did you change your background color or something?

Did everything just taste purple for a second?
http://i405.photobucket.com/albums/p...uint-thumb.jpg

EmperorChaos 02-24-2009 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Said by David- (Post 333029)

I'd do away with it if I could but only an admin can do that and I am only a moderator.

Quote:

Originally Said by psychoDiablo (Post 333032)
The only person who gets mad is the only person who ever brings it up. guess who that is?

No actually I made this thread not because I was getting negative rep but because other people were and telling me about it.

Quote:

and the bastard deleted my post, im about to give someone some neg rep
I deleted it because it was flaming towards me in much the same way that this post is flaming towards me, and in my thread no less. Consider this a warning. Next time you're getting a ban (after I painfully consult the other moderators of course.)

hai Jay 02-24-2009 10:02 PM

oh no. he's going to make some more movies of us!

Orgoth 02-24-2009 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Said by __Jasmine__ (Post 333066)
oh no. he's going to make some more movies of us!

Have I ever been included in any of those movies yet?

SketchImpressions 02-25-2009 12:43 AM

i have only neg repped two people i belive. one multiple times. it wasnt really a war or anyting. she merited all my neg reps. she just wanted to fight. little did she know i would of taken her down!!! it was fun times.....

bleh.

Drae 02-25-2009 02:41 AM

How do you know that you have a neg rep?

David- 02-25-2009 03:03 AM

Go to your User CP, you can also find this in top left under where the thread title is.

Drae 02-25-2009 03:15 AM

I can't tell what my rep is. All it says is 2 points but I figure my exploding episode from earlier might take me down alot. If i even have anything to go down from.

EmperorChaos 02-25-2009 03:30 AM

Drae, if you'd like to introduce yourself properly, there is a sub-forum for that located here.

You can tell us anything you'd like about yourself, including what led you to our small little forum.

As for the rep issue, you're still a new member and have yet to receive any rep I am sure.

Check out the FAQ which will tell you the forum rules as well as information concerning repuatation. Typically, rep is awarded for making intelligent and insightful posts in threads, particularly debate threads. Sometimes people give out rep for something that they find to be particularly funny.

Enjoy!

hai Jay 02-25-2009 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Said by Orgoth (Post 333075)
Have I ever been included in any of those movies yet?

i'm not sure. i was introduced in "EC's jester" or something.

GoddessDivine 02-25-2009 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Said by Drae (Post 333116)
I can't tell what my rep is. All it says is 2 points but I figure my exploding episode from earlier might take me down alot. If i even have anything to go down from.

You will see after being here for a while that your outburst was quite tame and I am sure no one negative repped you for it. :wink:

Anyways welcome to the forum!!:biggrin:

Thoughtcrime 02-25-2009 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Said by Drae (Post 333116)

Lol you stoners.

Anyway.

I have tons of negative rep from when I was new and a little bitch. But most of the rep I get now is green. I've never really had a problem with the rep system. Though I did get negative rep from Fetus of 1982 a few months ago saying "die mullato die", which I thought was kind of rude, but he's from some buttfuck state so what can you expect. We're much more civilized up here. Ha
http://www.almostsmart.com/forums/sh...600#post316600

psychoDiablo 02-25-2009 03:34 PM

lol EC who said it was you? it was rhetoric. so shut the hell up or i'll get on-topic about negative reputation fatman.

EmperorChaos 02-25-2009 05:14 PM

It was obviously me you were talking about, asshole. You can't claim it to be a rhetorical question after the fact. You know I deleted your post. Making one sentence and then continuing with "and the bastard deleted my post" proves you were talking about me in the first sentence.

Don't try to outsmart me, son.

krashkitten 02-25-2009 07:02 PM

^ ^^ *gags you both*
In other news...

Quote:

Originally Said by __Jasmine__ (Post 333136)
i'm not sure. i was introduced in "EC's jester" or something.

Where are these movies wtf. And didja get to wear a little jester cap?

I'm amused that I haven't been termed one of Jason's Jester yet. Or maybe it's cause I don't get enough attention.

Now I'm gonna neg rep all of you. SEE HOW YOU LIKE ME NOW.

...or some other sort of cheese...

hai Jay 02-25-2009 07:08 PM

^^it's in the as/bombay movies thread.

psychoDiablo 02-26-2009 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Said by Durin's Bane (Post 333173)
It was obviously me you were talking about, asshole. You can't claim it to be a rhetorical question after the fact. You know I deleted your post. Making one sentence and then continuing with "and the bastard deleted my post" proves you were talking about me in the first sentence.

Don't try to outsmart me, son.

it only proves it because you make everything about you. you weren't the only one editing my posts like a jackass. so whoever was, can read that and make it about themselves.

Thank you. now really...shut the fuck up.

Quote:

Originally Said by krashkitten
Where are these movies wtf. And didja get to wear a little jester cap?

Please click here. http://www.almostsmart.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=20448

hai Jay 02-26-2009 04:57 PM

aww matt, you're such an inspiration. you really know how to stick it to the man! you go!

psychoDiablo 02-26-2009 08:22 PM

that's why pD is the leader with GD.

hai Jay 02-26-2009 08:31 PM

yea. you two make a great team. lol.

psychoDiablo 02-27-2009 05:01 PM

speaking of teams, blood red has made a return! i bet EC is hiding in his bathroom right now.